Improving Grip

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Improving Grip

Postby mgilbert » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:29 am

Has anyone out there ever used a grip agent - a liquid used to improve grip - and if so, what do you recommend? It's mentioned in the PGDA rules, and is legal.
mgilbert
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cobra

Re: Improving Grip

Postby JR » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:30 pm

Blowing on the fingers from close range or spit then rubbing the fingers together until it is dry enough not slick but sticky as hell possibly even touching dirt so that you have sand paper skin gripping the disc. You might want to try to pour water to a towel and moisten the fingers with it too. I would not lick the fingers because that is begging for cancer and others nasties with the fingers touching all manner of shit and bacteria when playing.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby dgdave » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:38 am

"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby jubuttib » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:05 pm

Wonder how that would work for me, considering I usually have to breath on my hands a bit before each and every throw because they're so bloody dry...
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby dgdave » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:43 pm

I love the shit
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby dgdave » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:45 pm

It does leave a slight chalk, so that helps
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby JR » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:40 pm

I have super dry skin and i tried chalk paste meant for climbers from Black Diamond. It left a heavy residue and it was slick when wet and peeling off when dry making premium discs slicker than normal so no joy for me. Beeswax works some also in below freezing temperatures. It is natural and is still used in cosmetic and medical industry for skin care and is an ancient skin care product. People say vitamin E is good for the skin and judging by the very expensive argan oil working for me before a throwing session having a lot of vitamin E i don't doubt the benefits. Argan oil is good also because it penetrates the skin so well and in only a couple of minutes making the skin moister thus tackier so it is not just the vitamin E that helps.

We rarely get 80F or more like Dave probably does in OK so hand sweating is much more rare here so our mileage probably varies a lot.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Stringbean » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:58 am

Lee Sortkwik fingertip moistener is a common office product used for sorting through files or by bank tellers to sort cash. I put it on before each round and usually reapply half-way through.

I have never used Dry Hands but it appears to be a poor man's version of that. You can purchase it at Officemax, Office Depot, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Sortkwik-Fingerti ... d_sim_op_1
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby Mark Ellis » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:26 am

Getting a good grip is a constant challenge, changing with the conditions and the shot.

It took me lots of practicing with candy plastic and experimenting with grip aids before I used it in less than perfect conditions. The worst conditions are cold and wet with a hand which is cold and wet on a forehand drive through a tight tunnel. Compare that to a nice, warm dry day on an easy backhand upshot. But we have all had even easy shots slip out (when we grip too softly) or griplock (when we grip too tightly).

The liquid grip aids mentioned in the OP were around a decade ago when, in desperation, I tried every product I could find. As I recall they came in two basic types, an antiperspirant and a grip enhancer (sold for the sport of bowling). Neither worked very well for me. But I also tried dirt, fruit juice, saliva, chalk (rock climbing), birdie bags ( which made discs MORE slippery to me), pine tar (reasonably effective but dirty and near impossible to remove from under fingernails), synthetic pine tar (aerosol spray) and probably a few others.

I used a synthetic pine tar product called Pow'r Tac (sold for baseball and racquet sports) for years and only recently stopped using it when I found a better solution: factory grip stamps. If you search Pow'r Tac on this site I have described the details of its use, benefits and limitations in prior posts.

For putters a hot stamp can be burned in deep enough and placed where your rest your thumb on top and fingers on the bottom that the plastic surface is no longer smooth and gives a superb grip. For drivers a knurling tool, heated up, can create the same effect on the inside rim. I have encouraged my beloved sponsor Discraft to make these widely available as I think they would be popular. I get a lot of positive remarks from players who try out my discs.

PDGA regulations disallow post production modifications of discs but do not restrict what the FACTORY can do. I think knurling of the interior rim should be made legal as there is no difference between what a factory can do and what someone could do with a tool on their own. A knurled interior rim does not affect the flight of the discs at all. It only makes it easier to get a good grip. A good grip is not just a performance issue, it is also a SAFETY issue. A player is more likely to endanger other golfers or park users when conditions make a good grip hard to get.

No matter the grip aid you use, it takes a lot of practice to know how to use it, perfect its use in differing conditions and gain confidence in it. Aside from Factory stamps/knurling, all other methods break down in terrible weather for forehand shots (at least with my grip).
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Return to Equipment