Help reaching 300'+

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Help reaching 300'+

Postby DGmaniac » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:15 pm

I want to start off with a little background information. I started playing disc golf about 3 years ago, using one disc that I just picked off the shelf at Walmart because it said "Long distance Driver". It was a champion Starfire and I was only able to throw that disc sidearm with not very much distance or control. This year I decided to get back into disc golf, but a little more seriously this time. I started picking up a few more discs and a bag. Some of the discs I have now, and that I throw in the video, are ones I found and are still too much for my power.

Discs:
-Champion Starfire 168g*
-Blizzard DD2 139g
-DX Destroyer (beat) 172g*
-Raging Inferno 168g*
-Z Buzzz 180g
-Z Buzzz SS 173g
-DX Leopard 164g
-JLS 173g
-Pro-D Focus

I have been working on RHBH technique for about 1.5 months now and have seen a huge improvement in overall accuracy and more predictable distance all around. I currently average maybe 250' with my longest drive being somewhere around 320'. I want to be able to throw 300'+ without even thinking about it. Along with any technique suggestions, I would also welcome any disc suggestions. I am thinking of picking up a Star Stingray ~ 150g, what are your thoughts?

In my video I throw all 9 discs, in no particular order. The discs with the (*) are ones, the last three, that I threw on an anhyzer using JR's signature notes. The rest were all thrown straight.

Without further ado, my video upload.

Last edited by DGmaniac on Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.
DGmaniac
Noob

Favorite Disc: EliteZ Buzzz

Re: 1st Video upload for Critique

Postby luma » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:55 pm

I think it's better when I leave the throw critique to others :D

With discs it's depending on what you like. Me personally, I like to throw discs basically near or Max weight. I just think as long as you're not struggling to get to 200' or have physical problems (like heavier discs putting noticeably more strain on any part of your body) the higher weights are much more controllable, or let's say predictable. It's fine when you have no wind, but as soon as there is a little I don't like having lighter discs with me. But that's just my opinion, everybody has to find what fits him best.
That having said, I think you should limit yourself to Drivers with a little less speed until you can reach 330+ on a regular basis with a smooth throw, not a "give it 150%". I have had the Star Leopard since basically when I started, which was exactly a year ago. Back then it just went around 300' dead straight with a little fade - if I got it right, I was throwing all over the place. Now it's still in my bag as my smooth turnover driver. I can release it flat, give it a little bit of height and it will make a 360' smooooooth turnover the whole way. So even as you get longer you can still use it very nicely :)
Other discs for distance might be the MVP Volt, maybe a Lat Vision (don't know about the stability of the newer runs).
luma
Noob

Favorite Disc: Axis all day long

Re: Help reaching 300'+

Postby JR » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:38 pm

Eo staff gotta protect my arm so i need to be brief. More pause is needed so you can move the elbow forward. Farther before straightening it. It would help if you stopped the last step of the x step in place relative to the ground when the ball of the foot rises up. It could rise higher for more safety against injuries. The anny follow through step is too long. 150 champ valk gives easy distance at your power level.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby DGmaniac » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:18 pm

JR wrote:More pause is needed so you can move the elbow forward. Farther before straightening it. It would help if you stopped the last step of the x step in place relative to the ground when the ball of the foot rises up.

First off I have updated the video with some editing. I have watched an looked at many other video critiques on this site for several days now and had a good feeling that pause was lacking. I am still not quite sure how to execute the pause.

JR I am not quite sure at what point you are talking about, is it in the Plant step? Can you reference the time in the video?

In regards to the disc recommendation, I am going to trade for a slightly used DX Valkyrie not sure on the weight maybe 167g. I am also considering the MVP Volt. I have been wanting to try some of their discs for some time now.

Thanks I will keep practicing and update with any progress.
~DD2~Buzzz~Focus~
DGmaniac
Noob

Postby Stringbean » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:36 pm

Your weight gets hung up on your left foot. Try to glide through the x-step before planting your right foot firmly. Shoulder pause after planting the right foot to get your weight forward.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby JR » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:39 pm

The pause starts when the disc is at the left side and ends when the disc is at the right pec elbow forward torso facing 90 degrees left of the target.

Dx valk at that weight will wear super fast yet flying slower than the years lasting champ 150. Dx is naff in valk.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby DGmaniac » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:46 pm

Well just wanted to give a little update. I was finally able to make it out today and just throw a few discs at my local course.

I was able to throw about 1/2 of my drives out to 300+ today. It was very exciting. I noticed I was getting more from the hips and the disc was leaving my hand incredibly fast. I was even able to turn over my DD2 for real without a head wind today. It was incredible I threw it pretty flat and low and it was headed straight for a tree when it took a hard right missed the tree and came back left, ending at about 300'.

I know I still have a lot of work to do but I feel like I am on my way to a new level. I was even able to get a few birdies today that I never was even close to getting before.

I hope to post a video update soon and see what you guys have to say. Thanks again.
~DD2~Buzzz~Focus~
DGmaniac
Noob

Return to Video Critique