Forehand and turnover drives

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Forehand and turnover drives

Postby LuckyEagle405 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:20 pm

How do you know when to use a forehand shot (for rhbh) or a turnover shot? Just personal preference or is one more effective than the other
Grip it and Rip it
LuckyEagle405
Noob

Favorite Disc: Truth

Re: Forehand and turnover drives

Postby keltik » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:51 pm

It does depend on the required shot placement.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby luma » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:49 pm

Depends on which line you have to throw. Lets say you have thick woods to the right and an open field to the left, do what you like to. If not, the turnover is more for long smooth turns. Forehand will stay straight for a long time with the right turn at the end. If you have a right turn not far from the tee and from there the hole goes on straight but to the right) I like to throw an anhyzer with my Shock or Trident and have it flex out to flat.
But at least with the courses that I have played, I haven't played too much holes where you couldn't throw both.
luma
Noob

Favorite Disc: Axis all day long

Postby Mark Ellis » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:38 am

yup, it depends...

How do you decide which disc on which line you throw on any shot? You use your best judgment under the circumstances.

If you have multiple options (and multiple skills) and it is NOT during an important round then one consideration is developing your long term competence. Long term you want to master every line; forehand, backhand, overhead and roller. Which of these lines is most open for the shot you are facing? Not which line is easiest or hardest for YOU to throw today,(given your current skills) but which line is truly the most open? Pick the most open line and throw that. Shoot at the biggest gap. When you shoot the biggest gap you increase the margin of error to your favor.

All of us have shots which are more comfortable. We are better at some shots and more confident in them. Some players will throw that comfortable line even if it is a tight, difficult line while ignoring the more open alternative.

Eventually we all face the situation where there is only one line. If you haven't practiced that line then you are not adept at that shot. So in your next casual round, look at the lines you face and evaluate them honestly, then throw the most open line. You will miss some shots doing this but long term you make yourself a better golfer.

A rhbh anhyzer and a rhfh hyzer both break to the right. They don't fly identical paths, though. Generally the anhyzer starts turning earlier in its flight. So for an early turn the anny makes more sense. For a late turn the hyzer works better.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby PMantle » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:59 am

Mark Ellis wrote: Generally the anhyzer starts turning earlier in its flight. So for an early turn the anny makes more sense. For a late turn the hyzer works better.

This is why I REALLY need to work on my forehand. Played three new(to me) last week and there were a crazy amount of left to right holes.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby LuckyEagle405 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:49 pm

Thanks for all the great advice guys
Grip it and Rip it
LuckyEagle405
Noob

Favorite Disc: Truth

Return to Technique