Body start position effect on power/aim?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Body start position effect on power/aim?

Postby KRooster » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:59 am

Coming back to disc golf after a few years off, relearning the backhand drive. I'm noticing that if I position my shoulders perpendicular to the target from the beginning of the throw, I can generate much more power (close to what I had 3 years ago) but aim is awful.

If I angle my shoulders a bit more towards parallel with the target, I have pretty accurate aim but my throwing power is drastically reduced.

Is this normal? Anyone have tips on achieving sufficient rotation/reachback to increase power while still being able to aim? When I watch videos on good players driving, it seems like they do start somewhat facing the target.
Pure Meteor/BuzzzSS/Buzzz/Wasp Leopard/Teebird Currently auditioning: Road runner/Sidewinder/Beast/OrionLS/OrionLF
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: Body start position effect on power/aim?

Postby JR » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:21 pm

You are rusty that is to be expected but i also approach with a more open stance and drive reaching back at maximum back to the target. Unless it is a desperation move i might run in a curve and reach back 200 degrees away from the target and do a large weight shift back to front and left to right. Repetitions are needed to polish your throws. The farther you reach back the more difficult it is and you will suffer in accuracy and consistency so it is a good idea to use two forms. Accuracy and distance separately depending on the danger of the hole.

Normal aiming tips apply. Visual aiming, moving in a straight line at the target pulling the arm in a straight line and aiming with snap aka the weight of the disc pressing against the fingers after the elbow chop has started.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Body start position effect on power/aim?

Postby KRooster » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:45 pm

Well I practiced driving again today, and really focused on pulling the disc through the line that I wanted it to travel on. Seems to have helped my aim tremendously!
Pure Meteor/BuzzzSS/Buzzz/Wasp Leopard/Teebird Currently auditioning: Road runner/Sidewinder/Beast/OrionLS/OrionLF
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pure

Return to Technique