FTT's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

FTT's Bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:39 am

Huh, that's funny. I'll have to see what works for me in terms of Champ vs. Star. I always just assumed Champ came out with higher PLH than Star, given that everything else is the same...and understanding variances occur.

I'll throw BH and FH on each hole when I get a chance and see what I come up with. I've always felt like I had a good flick...just never tried it out on longer holes because I default to BH.

My Star Wraith has lost some HSS, so I'm sure that helped my distance potential. It has a tall dome (not stupid tall) so it slows down well at the end. On a few BH holes I can get it to settle down without much fade. It's a keeper. The compliment is a Champ Wraith with the same tall dome and a higher PLH - headwind bomber, hoping it will break in to where the Star is now and stay there for a long time.

Domey Wraiths and flat Teebirds are working so well for me right now.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Re: FTT's Bag

Postby JR » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Please beg steal or borrow a warp speed non dump fading driver for distance FH. FH likes wider wings and it sounds like you can get past 400' FH with them meaning powering down them might make them deadly accurate for you soon at 350' and soon after that at even longer distances with practice. Have fun :-D
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

FTT's Bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:38 pm

The problem is, wider rims are harder to grip on FH. I'll give my Dominator a shot.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:42 am

My experience is the opposite BH is difficult FH easier. Which makes me think that maybe you have flexibility issues, are not adjusted to FH wide wings (it is a process bh and fh) or the grip is wonky. So what is your FH grip like and where do you grip hard? I grip hard everywhere.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

FTT's Bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:51 am

I'm just not adjusted to it. I'll see how it goes next time I get out to play.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:46 pm

You wouldn't believe how much of a difference a hard grip everywhere FH makes on every type of disc unless you've tried it. Which is why it is important to put the disc as deep in the crease between the thumb and the index finger and squeeze tight in there too with both fingers pushing against each other in the base not just the tips. The ring finger should be supported by the pinky and placed on the outer edge of the disc pushing in against the index and middle finger for a tighter grip.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

FTT's Bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:41 pm

No time to play so far this week. I'll get back to you on the FH stuff once I do.

Like I mentioned earlier, I realized I was missing an understable fairway driver that would hold an anhyzer to the ground, but not flip. It seems that I've gotten by without one by cranking over a Teebird. It wasn't until playing a course where I needed to go 200' forward and 75' up, then hard right and down for another 150' that I saw my need for something like a a Leopard.

So....I picked up a few Leopards. I gotta say that the recent runs of Champ plastic have been great. I'm not talking about the Jolly Launcher stuff...which is great in it's own respect. Out of my typical 7 drivers, 4 are in this particular blend, 2 are Star, and one is 11x Champ. All 4 newer Champs are grippy, somewhat clear, and much easier to rip into than the foggy blends of Champ.

It could just be me, but I like it.

Oh and one of my new Leo's is a red champystar 166 :) excited to break it in
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:13 pm

No big difference for me in FH distance between a flat-ish 171 Champ Dominator and my domey 175 Star Wraith. They both have HS turn (Dominator>Wraith) and a late fade (Dominator>Wraith). The Dominator just lacks glide compared to the Wraith, which I think is where it loses distance potential. No big advantage in FH shots for me.

Are there any warp-speed drivers that have glide and aren't too HSS or LSS? Not wanting anything too flippy out of the box.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:05 pm

I am new to FH training with my health finally allowing training since about a month so it is dirty. Rather than warp speeder at that power try a QOLS. I tested around 50 drivers in a day and that one was best for me max weight. For annied distance D2 is nice but i get more power than you do into the throws and it dumps on me released flat. The only one i can get close is less HSS thus less reliable equally dumping 163 ESP Nuke. YMMV. I like the QOLS because it takes OAT better than the Beast that turns and burns on bad shots for me when i try to push beyond my meager comfy power. Which i must because i'm not satisfied with my accuracy, consistency and distance yet. My record is 330' with a distance line with too rare successes and catastrophic failures with a very high failure rate. And my arm still sets limits to how many throws i can throw without getting pain and inflammation.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

FTT's Bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:16 pm

Thanks for the recommendation JR. If I can borrow an OLF or OLS, I'll give them a shot.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

FTT's Bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:18 pm

Help me pick a max distance driver.

I like to throw max D from a slight hyzer, letting it pop up and go a little past flat. It needs to glide really well and fade late without a ton of lateral movement. I'm not a fan of Blizzard type discs...they get too finicky for me. Weight is preferred to be under 170.

I'm throwing an understable, domey 175 Star Wraith to 425' max. I also have an understable, domey 168 Champ Beast that needs more initial hyzer but will sometimes outdistance the Wraith by it's glide alone.

Any recommendations? Cannon? Tern? King? Trespass?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discmonkey42 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:13 pm

I've tried all of those and several more and the Trespass has found a permanent home in my bag. It's consistent across both plastics it comes in, has a manageable rim width, doesn't fade a ton, and is very predictable for me. I've pushed my 172 out to about 440'-450' on exactly the line you describe.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby JR » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:19 am

Tern might work and only VIP tall dome high PLH Kings could work of the King variants. Nothing i have thrown is as long as ESP 16low Nuke but YMMV and a D3 is certainly a great driver and tackier than the competition plus softer in the flight plate and a long long disc despite having less speed than the others. It also fades less than those others except idk about the Tern and the Trespass (destroeyer like?) never having thrown either. Slayer is probably on the least fading tier of fast long discs and you have plenty of power to make it controllable because you can make it flip no problem.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:31 pm

JR - is the King understable? High dome, high PLH sounds like it would be a beefy. I'm intrigued by the King. Does it move too much laterally or fade too soon to be useful?

discmonkey - with the Trespass, which plastic are you throwing and how much dome does yours have? Just curious if they come in domier variants or not. I hear a lot about their glide, but also about how they are generally pretty flat...not sure how flat = glide. Anyway, just curious because I have zero experience with them, and the only one I picked up in a store was flat so I passed it by.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby iacas » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:09 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:JR - is the King understable? High dome, high PLH sounds like it would be a beefy. I'm intrigued by the King. Does it move too much laterally or fade too soon to be useful?

The King, in my experience, does not match up with the stated flight ratings at all. It's farther off than any other disc I've thrown. I use it for backhand rollers or hyzer flips that I throw with a BIG hyzer angle.
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion