Slow control bag - need slightly OS approach disc/slow mid

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Slow control bag - need slightly OS approach disc/slow m

Postby JR » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:07 am

The mace is way too overstable and power hungry. Squall storm and king cobra are the only comparably long mids to pursi that are not as slick as the axis. For better grip make a fist except leave a small wind path of a few mm in diameter getting the finger tips inside the wind tunnel and blow from close distance. Voila you have body temp skin and if it gets too slick rubbing the fingers together dries to the perfect moisture for grip. Note that the grip is best with mildly moist skin.

150 valk is great inbetween model.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby 7ontheline » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:39 am

JR wrote:The mace is way too overstable and power hungry.

My experience is only with a buddy's slightly seasoned heavy white GL Mace that I threw 20+ times back and forth in a field into a slight 5-10mph headwind besides my seasoned 180 flat Roc3. The his mace held a stable line only dump fading in the last 15% of the flight. When thrown 175-200' sidearm his mace would easily turn fading back to neutral at the end of its flight. On a full power flick, his mace would turn over to a cut roller unless given a lot of hyzer where it flipped to flat with little to no fade. For reference, my seasoned flat 180 Roc3 at full power holds a stable low line and fades over the last 20% of its flight and on a similar big hyzer full power flick as the mace my Roc3 holds that hyzer line to the ground.

I'd liken the GL Mace to the flight of a ching flat top roc... not something I'd want to throw over 250' into a 10-15mph headwind.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby JR » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:49 am

My Mace is the hard plastic so no idea about the GL. The Mace is a tal and blunt edged disc with a lot of drag thus big time power requirement which is way beyond the OP.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby 7ontheline » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:44 am

JR wrote:My Mace is the hard plastic so no idea about the GL. The Mace is a tal and blunt edged disc with a lot of drag thus big time power requirement which is way beyond the OP.

Tall and blunt edge is not how I would describe my 11x FB but that doesn't keep it from being a meathook . Ever throw a polecat? Its an instant go roller that's tall and blunt edged. I kid, I kid. :P

It makes sense what you're saying, but the GL Mace I threw flew similar to a ching roc and not what I'd call overstable. I agree that its on the upper end of what I'd recommend for a lower power player as an overstable mid thus my recommendation to the OP at a lower weight which I've seen GL Maces readily available and used down to 168. I'm currently looking for a disc in between my max wt. Roc3 and max wt. z buzzz and thought a heavy Mace doesn't have much fade based on my buddy's disc with the Icon Ghost (which greatly overlaps my Z Buzzz ) being just on the stable side of the spectrum of what I'm looking for. I might check out your King Cobra recommend myself if its gonna handle a slight headwind and fade a touch more than my Z Buzzzes☺

I'll stick with my first recommend and say that the ghost is a stable flier for me in that when I threw it hard on a low line around 250-275' it held a very stable straight line so a lighter wt for a lower power thrower should be able to handle some headwind. Not long ago I tested a 180 green icon ghost and thought Sanny Roc and that if I wasn't already sold on heavy Z Buzzzes that the icon ghost could cover the same go straight stable lines.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:27 am

My hard Mace is more like a Z Wasp so a definite notch up in overstability. Breaking in a Z Buzz would be a possibility but the KC is good new and probably better than the worn Z Buzz in a headwind. The KC is in between the Z Buzz and the Roc3 in stability but it glides way way more and is significantly longer. Atlas is pretty similar with a tackier grip and plus rim of the moderate kind.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby 7ontheline » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:16 am

JR wrote:Breaking in a Z Buzz would be a possibility but the KC is good new and probably better than the worn Z Buzz in a headwind. The KC is in between the Z Buzz and the Roc3 in stability but it glides way way more and is significantly longer.

Just so I'm clear regarding the headwind fighting ability and the somewhat overstable flight of the King Cobra, I'm guessing you think that a new KC's headwind fighting ability falls between that of a new Z Buzzz and a worn Z Buzzz. Right, what am I missing :?:

KC sounds like a possibility for me if its slightly overstable falling between a z buzzz and roc3, but your "significantly longer" description has me thinking Stalker-like 1.6rim. I don't see the King Cobra variation on the PDGA's approved discs doc so is it still the Cobra's 1.2 width rim :?:

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:18 pm

7ontheline wrote:
JR wrote:Breaking in a Z Buzz would be a possibility but the KC is good new and probably better than the worn Z Buzz in a headwind. The KC is in between the Z Buzz and the Roc3 in stability but it glides way way more and is significantly longer.

Just so I'm clear regarding the headwind fighting ability and the somewhat overstable flight of the King Cobra, I'm guessing you think that a new KC's headwind fighting ability falls between that of a new Z Buzzz and a worn Z Buzzz. Right, what am I missing :?:

KC sounds like a possibility for me if its slightly overstable falling between a z buzzz and roc3, but your "significantly longer" description has me thinking Stalker-like 1.6rim. I don't see the King Cobra variation on the PDGA's approved discs doc so is it still the Cobra's 1.2 width rim :?:

I have not measured the KC but it is definitely Rocish not Stalker like in the wing width. The super distance comes mostly from first rate glide but come to think of it it seems oddly fast for the wing width. One thing that helps is that it is not the tallest or the bluntest mid. The Stalker is longer but it is also much faster and power hungry. The 180 KC is almost as good in a headwind as a heavy new Z Buzz with a flat top and high PLH with steeply concave wing=like the ones starting from two years back to now are usually=the good ones. The 175 is more HSS than a slightly domey ESP Buzz by a good deal but less HSS than my year old main mid a 176 Z Buzz. I thought i saw the KC approval news when they were released but have not checked the current list. If it is not approved i'd think twice and rather go with the Atlas.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby CurSpider » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:47 pm

I would get a dynamic discs suspect, it is overstable but not a meathook.

Sent from somewhere and sometime in a TARDIS...
CurSpider
Noob

Favorite Disc: Westside Sword (VIP)

Postby 7ontheline » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:32 pm

Thanks JR. I think I'm out on the 180 KC if its not going to handle a headwind any better than my max Z buzzz. I'm wanting something for headwinds in between my Z Buzzz and Roc3.

CurSpider wrote:I would get a dynamic discs suspect, it is overstable but not a meathook.

IDK if the suspect will meet the OP's requirement for more glide given that his 174 KC Pro Roc didn't glide enough. I liked the lucid suspect that I threw with its dumping late fade but it was shorter than my Roc3 and I'm not so sure it'll be too different from his Star Roc.

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:15 am

My Roc3 is more understable than new Z flat top Buzzes are. My FR Suspect is like the more overstable than Buzz Glo Z Buzzes. For me the 175 KC i have is on par with the Roc3 stability wise but longer and the 180 KC is just a hair less stable not normally mattering and the Z Buzz is next losing out to the Glo Z Buzz and the FR Suspect in wind handling. The store i got my Roc3 from had three different shapes. Mine is the flattest and with shared highest PLH of those. So IDK how the most common Roc3s fly and what the shape and stability of those are. I have thrown only that one.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion