MVP's new driver -- Volt

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP's new driver -- Volt

Postby jubuttib » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:24 pm

My pink Neutron Volt was pretty nice actually, and I could see it even making its way into the bag as a fairway driver. Didn't get so lucky with my Shock though, less HSS and slightly more LSS than the Volt, basically pretty useless.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby sunspot » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:07 am

jubuttib wrote:My pink Neutron Volt was pretty nice actually, and I could see it even making its way into the bag as a fairway driver. Didn't get so lucky with my Shock though, less HSS and slightly more LSS than the Volt, basically pretty useless.

I feel like I cover the same shots with a PD or something slower.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby jubuttib » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:40 am

If the Volt is consistent enough then it would save the trouble of trying to find the specific PDs that fly kinda like it, at the very least. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby discspeed » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:57 pm

sunspot wrote:After tossing these around for a bit I can say that they are not for me. I think it is a good disc, but it doesn't deserve the amount of hype it has received. My gripes:

1. The slanted rim plus the shallow grip makes this disc uncomfortable.
2. Too much power turns them over and they don't come back. There should be more LSS
3. They are a tweener-tweener. They sit in between eagles and PDs thus making them moot.

I really wanted to like this offering from MVP, but I found myself getting frustrated while throwing it. I honestly think it would be better served for them to have a fairway in the speed 7 category. I think the outermold might be more utilized in a slower disc creating a separation from the other speed 7 fairways. As it stands, the Volt doesn't do anything better than other, similar discs.

Many of your gripes sound like the Volt just doesn't fit into the speed gradations of your particular bag. I agree about the stability--the Volt feels like a "L" disc and I'd like the Volt X. The Volt is very straight, but I'd like something I could get into a little harder on a flat throw. I'm hoping Volts are going to be coming out more stable since it would nestle in closer to the middle ground between the Amp and Shock.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby sunspot » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:16 pm

discspeed wrote: Many of your gripes sound like the Volt just doesn't fit into the speed gradations of your particular bag. I agree about the stability--the Volt feels like a "L" disc and I'd like the Volt X. The Volt is very straight, but I'd like something I could get into a little harder on a flat throw. I'm hoping Volts are going to be coming out more stable since it would nestle in closer to the middle ground between the Amp and Shock.

I agree with you on needing a Volt-X. It seems like the Volt needs to be more like the first run Shock-- some turn, more fade.

I mentioned MVP making a speed 7 disc because I think it will a better medium to show the gyro rather than the Volt. Take their putters for example, they have a tendency to go further because of the bluntness of the rim combined with the Gyro technology. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like it would be harder to maximize the Gyro as the progression of discs goes from putters to distance drivers due to the rims being widen. If I'm correct, then a speed 7-8 disc (Eagle, Tbird, etc) from MVP would be able to be pushed as far as a normal speed 9 disc from another company.

Also, has it been explain why they design the Volt to be shallow and have a slanted rim?

Regardless, I hope MVP continues to have success. Here's hoping they make a PD killer. :wink:
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby discspeed » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:58 pm

sunspot wrote:
I agree with you on needing a Volt-X. It seems like the Volt needs to be more like the first run Shock-- some turn, more fade.

I mentioned MVP making a speed 7 disc because I think it will a better medium to show the gyro rather than the Volt. Take their putters for example, they have a tendency to go further because of the bluntness of the rim combined with the Gyro technology. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like it would be harder to maximize the Gyro as the progression of discs goes from putters to distance drivers due to the rims being widen. If I'm correct, then a speed 7-8 disc (Eagle, Tbird, etc) from MVP would be able to be pushed as far as a normal speed 9 disc from another company.

Also, has it been explain why they design the Volt to be shallow and have a slanted rim?

Regardless, I hope MVP continues to have success. Here's hoping they make a PD killer. :wink:

I'm really hoping they kind of do to the Volt what they did to the Shock and start pumping them out more HSS and LSS. As it is it seems to me that the gap between the Amp and Volt is much smaller than the Volt and Shock. My FR Shock is not as HSS as my good Volts, so it's not useful in the wind when I want something that will hold but push easier than the Shock.

About maximizing the gyro...I was of the same thinking initially, but when I spoke to Chad some time ago about it he noted that this may not be the case as putters/mids are naturally far more gyroscopic than drivers. The wider the rim, the less gyroscopic in general because there is less weight on the outer edge of the disc. So the gains could be as great or greater as the rim size increases.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:59 am

I got some Proton Volts yesterday and had a chance to throw them until my arm was sore. It is MUCH more HSS than the Neutron version. Threw it dead flat into 10-15mph gusts and did not see a hint of turn. Strangely, the LSS is about the same as the N version--modest and very late. In terms of high HSS and low LSS this is one of the straightest discs I've ever thrown. Compared to a PD it is a tick slower with less turn and fade.
discspeed

Postby jubuttib » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:35 pm

discspeed wrote:I got some Proton Volts yesterday and had a chance to throw them until my arm was sore. It is MUCH more HSS than the Neutron version. Threw it dead flat into 10-15mph gusts and did not see a hint of turn. Strangely, the LSS is about the same as the N version--modest and very late. In terms of high HSS and low LSS this is one of the straightest discs I've ever thrown. Compared to a PD it is a tick slower with less turn and fade.
So... A longer TeeBird?
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby discspeed » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:14 pm

jubuttib wrote:
discspeed wrote:I got some Proton Volts yesterday and had a chance to throw them until my arm was sore. It is MUCH more HSS than the Neutron version. Threw it dead flat into 10-15mph gusts and did not see a hint of turn. Strangely, the LSS is about the same as the N version--modest and very late. In terms of high HSS and low LSS this is one of the straightest discs I've ever thrown. Compared to a PD it is a tick slower with less turn and fade.
So... A longer TeeBird?

Yes. Like a longer dx Teebird because there is no turn and the fade is late with any power. These are very similar to the proto Volts I threw and described last summer, though with less LSS. They kept this run really flat, but even so it feels better than my Neutron Volts for some reason. 5 of mine have a very slight dome and one is FR CPD flat. That flat one flew 360+ downhill into a headwind with no turn and a very straight fade.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:45 pm

Here is a PLH comparison between my N Volt and P Volt.

Here are the ones I have:
discspeed

Postby dgdave » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:02 pm

That's a nice blue
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby ForeverBlue232 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:20 am

Are the protons normally flatter than the neutrons? I just got a P and its much flatter than either of my N's. is that part of the molding producing the higher PLH? I haven't had a chance to toss it yet, but I'm almost imagining it will be much more stable than my N's. I hope it doesn't have less glide.
JimW wrote:If the answer isn't PD you asked the wrong question.

**Flow**Northman**Amp**PD**Stag**Drone**Wasp**Mace**Suspect**Tangent**Anode**
ForeverBlue232
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby jubuttib » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:26 am

ForeverBlue232 wrote:Are the protons normally flatter than the neutrons? I just got a P and its much flatter than either of my N's. is that part of the molding producing the higher PLH? I haven't had a chance to toss it yet, but I'm almost imagining it will be much more stable than my N's. I hope it doesn't have less glide.
FWIW flat Vectors and Axes were much more understable than the domey ones, so it's not like flat automatically equals higher PLH.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby discspeed » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:24 pm

ForeverBlue232 wrote:Are the protons normally flatter than the neutrons? I just got a P and its much flatter than either of my N's. is that part of the molding producing the higher PLH? I haven't had a chance to toss it yet, but I'm almost imagining it will be much more stable than my N's. I hope it doesn't have less glide.

MVP has more precise control of the molding of their discs now than when the N Volts came out so there is much less variation in the Proton Volts run so far. I expect that N Volts will be consistently flat/almost flat like the Protons when they are run again.
discspeed

Postby jubuttib » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:53 am

Just got my first Proton Volt, and wouldn't you know, it sits right between my early run pink and later run white Neutrons in PLH (and stability). The pink Volt has a pretty sharp turn and will fade if it can be bothered, the white won't turn and has a definite fade, and the green Proton has a mild turn combined with a subdued fade. Nice combo. =)
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Previous

Return to Equipment