beginner driver recomendation

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby ryanzusy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:13 am

Hi all,
I am a beginner/recreational player who wants to improve my overall game. I have honed in my throws and I can typically predict with reasonable accuracy where my short drives, midrange and putts will land however I feel that my initial drive is weak on long baskets. When I have a long shot I think that I am over-compensating by throwing harder therefore reducing accuracy and making mistakes. I think that I am in need of a longer distance driver, i currently have a innova Archangel DX and an innova beast DX. So here are my questions first, would a different driver help this problem? If so what is everyone's recommendation? Or is this a technique issue?
Thanks
ryanzusy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Archangel DX

Re: beginner driver recomendation

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:00 am

Welcome to the board. First off, how far are you throwing your drivers? What kind of flight do they take? The Archangel and Beast are pretty good discs to learn with, especially in DX plastic. How beat up are they?

I would recommend reading the articles on DGR's main page that relate to beginner technique and disc selection. Some of it is older material, so the disc recommendations aren't up to date (as far as I can remember), but they will give you a ton of great help.

Have fun!
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ryanzusy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:55 pm

Fightingthetide,
I typically get between 250'-300' depending on the day and course. Kind of hard to tell though since the course i play most often is rather wooded. When i do play an open course I can typically get a lot closer to the 300'. The discs are starting to show their wear though since I am learning on that wooded course, I've hit plenty of trees pretty hard. As for flight path again on the nice open courses i can get the correct "s" curve i want to see with them. I have had other people suggest though that i throw more mid-ranges. Always looking for additional input though. Thanks for the suggestion of looking at the other forums.
ryanzusy
Noob

Postby KRooster » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:10 pm

At 250-300 feet I don't think there is any value at all in looking for a different driver to get more distance. The beast (assuming the newer mold beast) may even be too fast for you until you're hitting 300+ consistently (though it might depend how heavy and how beat in it is).

I improved dramatically when I was learning the x-step with Archangels. Some might recommend sticking with a slower fairway driver for awhile but I found that the Archangel gave me the idea of what a distance driver flight is like before I was throwing far enough to handle more overstable distance drivers. Once they started turning over and not coming back from a smooth and level release, I moved on to faster drivers like the Beast.

The Archangel should be more understable (it should turn more during the first part of its flight) than the Beast. It might be ideal for your current driving distance. Assuming the Beast is DX plastic, it might be ideal for once you can consistently hit 300. When you're consistently exceeding 330, it might be time to look for a more overstable driver.
Pure/Jokeri Meteor/BuzzzSS/Buzzz/Wasp Xpress/FD/Teebird Roadrunner/OrionLS/OrionLF/PD
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:55 pm

What else are you throwing?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ryanzusy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:05 am

Fightingthetide,
Some of the other discs I have are a Banshee and Leopard fairway drivers, mid range I have a Kite, Stingray, and Cobra. All of these are DX. I have been liking the Banshee and Leopard a lot lately and barely ever throw the beast.

Thanks for the suggestion Krooster. I by far already throw the archangel the most often when it comes to a driver.
ryanzusy
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:11 pm

Driver recommendation for a beginner? Mid range driver, and driving putters. If you must have a driver, something in the Gazelle, Cheetah, Leopard, TeeBird, Eagle, River, FD, Tracker, Northman etc. region could work.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Flipflat » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:32 pm

Shark3 or a Z Buzzz. If you need a driver, like Jub stressed, then Champ Leo or champ teebird. Current DX plastic gets too flippy and unpredictable too fast.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:50 pm

Agreed. Get a Champ Leopard and once that turns too much, add a Champ Teebird.

Or both in Star.

Shameless plug for a Champ and Star Leo that I'm selling - viewtopic.php?t=26139

So is your Banshee also DX? Champs are amazing discs and will be a perfect utility disc for overhand shots and skip shots.

With mids, how does your Cobra fly compared to your Stingray?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby money 21 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:32 pm

the discs you have are fine. if you want some new one look at getting a z and x xpress. in the different plasics the fly different. the x is understable and the z is very straight.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby 7ontheline » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:20 pm

I had a dx beast that was my first disc to break 375'. I'm glad you found this site as when I first started I got some good advice here to read the technique threads, watch the pro videos for their pointers, post a video here for suggestions, and throw slower discs like mids and fairways drivers to develop good form before advancing to faster drivers.

The premium plastics previously mentioned Champion/Z/Opto or slightly less durable Star/ESP/Gold line and the like can take a months to break into a stability that they'll maintain for years. I recommend buying used discs whenever possible, especially when you're trying to figure out what disc molds feel good in your hand and fit your throwing style. I mean why buy a new car you've never test driven I always suggest to buy discs used at a greatly reduced price.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby ryanzusy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:47 am

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
Fighting the tide - Yes, all of my discs are DX plastic. The cobra does seem to get a little more distance than the stingray.

I do agree with what it seems like everyone is saying about the DX plastic though. It seems like some of the discs I use ery often like the Archangel are getting beat up quickly. Will this effect their predictability?
ryanzusy
Noob

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:58 am

Yes, as they get beat up the leading edge of the disc drops lower, which reduces the stability. You may notice that some of your discs finish with a harder fade when new, and maybe not much at all after getting broken in. There's really nothing wrong with that in theory, because a beat-in disc is a very useful tool in your bag, but it does reduce predictability to a degree...and the degree at which DX plastic drivers break in isn't favorable.

With your mids, do you have one you trust to fly straight from a flat throw, meaning not much turn and not much fade? If so, keep that, and add a DX Roc for headwinds and when you need more fade. Eventually that can become your bread and butter...beat Rocs are fantastic. Oh and DX Rocs tend to be much better than other molds in DX, especially drivers.

Hope this helps!
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Equipment