Dynamic Discs line of discs

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Dynamic Discs line of discs

Postby zeike524 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:41 am

I love the feel of the firm classic material. Can anyone confirm that Classic firm and Zero Hard are the same material?[/quote]

They are supposed to be the same plastic. They should be the same plasic. They feel like same plastic to me.
zeike524
Noob

Postby PMantle » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:13 pm

I now have 4 ITB. Renegade, Suspect and soft Judge are firmly in. Escapes are not what I thought they would be, and I doubt they stay long, but I do like them. Renegade is my current favorite disc. I start looking for reasons to throw it.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:58 pm

PMantle, what about your Escapes dont you like? Got any I can take off your hands?

I just picked up a 172 Lucid Escape that flies like a Champ Valk with more glide and a tick less LSS. So far it has really impressed me with it's distance potential. In no-wind situations, it'll probably be my go-to driver for shots over 350' and that need to stay straight. In tailwinds, it absolutely bombs. In headwinds, it's useless.
Last edited by Fightingthetide on Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discmonkey42 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:27 pm

max weight Hybrid plastic works well into most winds. Next best option is max weight Fuzion. Glad to see you are liking it, it's one of my favorite discs right now.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:25 am

Who sells Hybrids?

I've heard BioFuzions are also better into headwinds than Lucid. Would you happen to know if Bio is typically more or less stable than Fuzion?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby PMantle » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:27 am

Fightingthetide wrote:PMantle, what about your Escapes dont you like? Got any I can take off your hands?

I just picked up a 172 Lucid Escape that flies like a Champ Valk with more glide and a tick less LSS. So far it has really impressed me with it's distance potential. In no-wind situations, it'll probably be my go-to driver for shots over 350' and that need to stay straight. In tailwinds, it absolutely bombs. In headwinds, it's useless.

I'm still trying to figure them out. Fury is in, so I just need to sort out what goes with it between the two bio Escapes and my MVP stuff. Been traveling for almost two weeks and have had few opportunities to throw.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby discmonkey42 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:49 am

Fightingthetide wrote:Who sells Hybrids?

I've heard BioFuzions are also better into headwinds than Lucid. Would you happen to know if Bio is typically more or less stable than Fuzion?

for me the Biofuzion is a between the Lucid and the Fuzion. I only have one BioFuzion, though, so can't say it represents all of them. I just took the BioFuzion out in lieu of keeping the Hybrid and the Fuzion (and those two are really close too, I'm just liking the grip of the Hybrid more and I do think it's the most stable of the group).
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:58 am

Are the white EMac Escapes run in Fuzion or Hybrid? I'm about to buy a 174 EMac online, but it's listed as Fuzion...just curious if this guy has it listed wrong.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discmonkey42 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:09 am

For the Trespass, I think all the white Emac discs are Hybrid. Not sure about the Escapes
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:11 am

Did some digging. There was a DD thread on DGCR that wasn't convoluted or full of banter...and they mentioned that the milky white EMac Escapes were Hybrids. I'll pick this one up and see how it stacks up to my 172 Lucid Escape.

My 172 Lucid Escape is bombing. Thrown flat, I put it out to 400' easy. It reminded me so much of some old flat x-out Champ Valkyries that I had, but with so much more glide. It hangs in the air for-ev-er and the fade is really gentle. On hyzers, it likes to flip up a little, but it holds them really well. It also held a really gentle anhyzer to 375'. I'll keep my Teebirds in the bag for now, but I could see Escapes replacing them when paired with a fresh and beat Predator.

I've also got two Lucid Trespasses on the way - excited to test them out.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:29 pm

Got my two Lucid Trespasses in the mail today!

I got a pink gummy opaque 173, and this 175.

Also picked up a white 175 EMac Escape to pair with my 172 Lucid.

Carry on.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Mike C » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:27 pm

Tested some Suspects. Good disc.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:02 pm

A quick review. I'm throwing 425' max.

Trespass - I've got two. One 175 Lucid (pictured above) and a 173 Lucid (gummy pink). The 175 shows only a little turn into 10mph headwinds if thrown flat. It's still pretty new with the flashing on it and it compliments the other Trespass really well. I took the flashing off the 173, and it cannot handle headwind at full power. Thrown on a slight hyzer at 75%, it holds a left turn really well without going too straight. What really impresses me is the glide and predictability of this disc in every stage of stability.

Renegade - I have a 174 Hybrid EMac. I got it today, so the flashing is still on it. It's exactly what I wanted - easy distance and easy controlled turnovers. This is probably my farthest flying disc right now. It feels like a Wraith in the hand and glides REALLY well. It's pretty much a beat domey Star Wraith out of the box, but IMO easier to control.

Escape - Easy control driver from 325' to 400'. Turns from flat when you need it to, and fades predictably. Someone put it that this is a S PD mashed up with a P PD and that couldnt be closer to the truth. The fade is much less than a new S PD, so it's more of a point-and-shoot disc that's really workable. My 175 EMac Hybrid handles headwinds decently well and my 172 Lucid bombs a tailwind. Both have a very predictable fade and GLIDE. Thrown right, these can go as far as my Trespasses, but on different lines. At 400' of power, the Trespass turn gently with a strong fade while the Escape turns a little more and has almost no fade.

Really, all three of these discs glide well, and it doesn't necessarily hurt them in headwinds (at least the overstable variants)
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby WLord » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:58 pm

limonsock wrote:
JHern wrote:<rant>

It is astonishing to see how many new disc designs have entered the market. All of these people are still working by the seat of their pants, based on cockamamy conjectures about how a disc flies, and there has been very little accomplished in the technical aspects of making better disc designs, or in the process engineering aspects that would lead to consistency and quality control.

In mathematical modeling there is a method called "Monte Carlo" in which you generate a random selection (say, disc design) and run it through the gambit (make a mold), try it out (throw it), and then measure it's outcome (see if it has a good flight pattern). Over time, by the attrition of brute numbers alone, the desired solution begins to emerge very slowly. The anomaly in any approximate solution (proto design) relative to the ideal solution (desired design) decays as 1/sqrt(N), where N is the number of random trials.

The thing about Monte Carlo is that it can be used for the most difficult problems imaginable, where there are few known ways for a more straightforward solution procedure, and it works quite generally (we can even solve the full Schrödinger equation for any element using this approach...something impossible otherwise). On the other hand, a convergence of 1/sqrt(N) is terribly inefficient (a given mold costs $10K-$20K to produce). To produce a factor of 10 improvement in the residual error requires 100 random trials!

There are much better ways to do things, using scientific and engineering concepts, which would make far superior products than anything we've ever seen on the market, period. But nobody seems to be willing to do things the right way, we have a army of half-ass disc companies with no clear direction, no idea of how to do things better than previously, and just way too excited to just turn out more varieties of discs. But if we want to see a big forward step, we still have to wait for somebody who wants to do things better than before, disc golf has all the skills and talents necessary to make it happen, there is just no willingness to harness it and exploit it.

Nevertheless, there are some good things that can come out of the present situation:
-Almost everybody is going to be making discs, effectively democratizing disc design and manufacture, taking it out of the hands of the few and putting it into the hands of the many.
-For many of us it is still great fun to try all the molds. Variety is the spice of life, and as a result of the present random processes we get to try an enormous variety of discs that we would not otherwise be able to throw.
-Disc manufacture has not yet been relegated to China, it is still a small business, with strong domestic roots.

Production will eventually shift to China, they have better raw materials (plastic) available in China than we have in the US, because the global supply lines all run to China (a gradual shift that takes decades to accomplish, but it is now in place). They already have the manufacturing and process engineering skills in place. But China is very much lacking in disc expertise, to get the most of this opportunity, you'd actually have to go to China and oversee the operation, to get it up and running, and the quality of the product would be limited by your own expertise (so you'd be wise to hire real experts and make them an intrinsic part of the operation). But once you did that, you could produce the very highest quality and consistency discs for an exceedingly small price, and flood the market. Can you imagine being able to buy superb quality plastic (better than KC Pro 11X pearly) with scientifically designed and optimized molds, for as little as $5 apiece?

The emergence of a strong China-based disc manufacturer is going to wipe out most of the other disc makers, they won't be able to compete in that kind of market. But it will be partly a consequence of them going into the business without really striving to be better and more knowledgable about disc design than previous manufacturers, instead just doing the same old same old, re-inventing the wheel, making the same mistakes, and in the end making no real progress toward the goal of better products for less cost.

</rant>

keltik wrote:yeah etcetera is rarely written out but he probably only did because he is a non native speaker of English....

It is Latin, not English. It is used in the same way in many other languages, often (but not always) abbreviated as "etc.."

Theres a Chinese disc company, Its called Yikun Sports. They currently have a driver, a mid, and putter; all in super shitty plastic. I've thrown all three in a field, driver was way too flippy for me, but I gave it to some of my ultimate buddies who dont toss golf diss and they were much more successful than me.
The mid was very roc like, maybe an exact copy.
The putter is my favorite of the bunch, its pretty overstable and flies much different lines than my wizard (the only putter i've really treid driving with). Unfortunately, every time the disc hits chains it gets nicked up, if it hits basket it gets gouged.

Yikun has also created their own basket, which from one use seems like a perfectly usable basket.

I do not think that western DG companies have to fear competition from Yikun sports in the near future. The company is still pretty new, and their goal is to hit the Chinese market first, and there is absolutely no chinese market yet. There are no courses in the country yet, and a huge lack of space to play in any of the eastern cities where people can afford recreational activities. Furthermore, the owner seems more concerned with selling the discs he has now (shitty plastic) than making any decent products.

Yikun's new plastic lines and disc molds are released: http://www.yikunsports.com/en/discgolf.html
Midrange YAO: Image
Distance JUN:Image
Distance Da'EImage
WLord
Noob

Favorite Disc: Da'E

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:53 am

Any idea where the disc golf courses are in China? Just curious...and interested, actually.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment