Longer Leopard? Valk?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Longer Leopard? Valk?

Postby KRooster » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:41 pm

Looking for a distance driver that can do similar shots as a DX Leopard but longer:

(1) Hyzerflip for tunnel shots.
(2) Gradual L-to-R turns with minimal fade.
(3) Anhyzers that hold the line.
(4) Downwind drives out in the open.

Coming back to the game from a three-year hiatus, was previously using a DX Valk for these shots but I was JUST developing a decent hyzerflip tunnel shot with the Leopard when I got injured and never got a chance to try the Valk for those... not sure if it works for that.

Also on anhyzers and L-R turns the Valk wouldn't always want to hold the line perfectly like a Leo (if I'm remembering correctly). Would something like a Champion RoadRunner be better due to it having less fade?

As reference I throw distance drivers approximately 320-340 ft on average, 165 or 166 grams.
Pure/Jokeri Meteor/BuzzzSS/Buzzz/Wasp Xpress/FD/Teebird Roadrunner/OrionLS/OrionLF/PD
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: Longer Leopard? Valk?

Postby martinb » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:47 pm

jls. the q-jls will be a bit faster and hold the annhyzer line like the leopard.
Play Disc Golf
martinb
Noob

Favorite Disc: putter

Postby zeike524 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:41 pm

Latitude 64 River in gold line plastic. Opto is more OS
zeike524
Noob

Postby KRooster » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:42 pm

Based on everything I've read, a JLS would be more suitable for a longer straight-ish fairway driver for someone throwing with my relatively low power level, not a turnover driver. Could be wrong though.

Was also hoping for something a little faster, speed similar to a Valk or OLS. But I don't know for sure that discs of that speed are capable of holding the same type of lines as a Leopard, especially at my power level.
Pure/Jokeri Meteor/BuzzzSS/Buzzz/Wasp Xpress/FD/Teebird Roadrunner/OrionLS/OrionLF/PD
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Postby money 21 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:15 pm

mamba a little fast but will hold great turn over lines.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:01 pm

I agree with the above posts.
Jls will fly most like a long leopard.
River will do what you want better, but will not follow your leopard as well.
Other option which is more available than either would be an xl. You don't mention your leopards plastic. I would step back a grade for anxl. Esp are great.

If you are worried the jls or similar will be too stable for your power ols/valk speed discs will be too fast to hold a turnover well or far. Even a sidewinder will probably come out at the end. Nothing will turn over as predictably either. The faster you go the more dependent on nose angle and power your throws will be.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby KRooster » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:31 pm

Well as it turns out, I'm reworking my drive from the hit back with the right pec drill. My accuracy/consistency/distance is awful after three years of not playing. Plus, I think the injury that caused me to miss three years was caused by an insufficient follow-through, so I want to learn better form.

I guess what it comes down to is, until I build my power back up, higher-speed drivers won't be at all understable out-of-the-box in general.

Strangely, I have a couple champion roadrunners and it appears they are about as overstable as my DX valks which are only slightly beat. I guess avoiding champion plastic for now is important. I've got a DX sidewinder that I haven't used in awhile, will have to add that back to the bag.

Incidentally, the right pec drill is AMAZING. In 1.5 hours I helped a friend dramatically improve his drives. This after always being frustrated that I could never teach any of my friends how to drive well.
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Longer Leopard? Valk?

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:26 am

You need to try a low 170's Lucid Escape. That is exactly what you described in your OP.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby tgm » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:13 am

Might be worth giving a p-pd a try. A slightly used pd might fit the bill.
sols, trak, pd/teebird, firebird, buzzz, ridge, summit
tgm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Longer Leopard? Valk?

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:34 am

tgm wrote:Might be worth giving a p-pd a try. A slightly used pd might fit the bill.

True. Just be careful not to get the harder Pro plastic. It's brittle and it can get chunks pretty bad when you hit something solid. Good Pro plastic just deforms properly.

This is why I opted for the Escape. Someone on here said it well - it's a mash up between an S PD and P PD, in premium plastic.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby PMantle » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:38 am

Fightingthetide wrote:You need to try a low 170's Lucid Escape. That is exactly what you described in your OP.

I'd say Fury. Obviously, YMMV.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Longer Leopard? Valk?

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:17 am

PMantle wrote:
Fightingthetide wrote:You need to try a low 170's Lucid Escape. That is exactly what you described in your OP.

I'd say Fury. Obviously, YMMV.

Seems like its more of a turnover disc rather than control...but I'm sure there's more stable variants.

The problem these days is that there's too many molds to chose from for new players. I only started playing about 4 years ago and I feel like all I had to chose from was Innova and Discraft...or at least from what I remember.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JHern » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Legacy Patriot...almost exactly like a longer Leopard...some colors are more over-stable/under-stable than others. Blue icon tends to be most under-stable, Red and White are more neutral, while yellow are a tad over-stable when new.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby DiscinFiend » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:13 pm

I'd say just use a beat OS driver of your choice. I personally like to cycle discs (Rocs & Destroyers) so for this slot in my bag I use a beat Star Destroyer. But from the distance you said you throw I wouldn't recommend the Destroyer.
Grip A-Series
Destroyer - PD - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Roc - KC Aviar
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep
DiscinFiend
Noob

Favorite Disc: KC Roc

Postby Stringbean » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:47 pm

JHern wrote:Legacy Patriot...almost exactly like a longer Leopard...some colors are more over-stable/under-stable than others. Blue icon tends to be most under-stable, Red and White are more neutral, while yellow are a tad over-stable when new.

Sounds like Legacy has some consistency issues. J/k

The Un Lace can perform some pretty crazy l-r lines. A beat Pro Wraith is another option.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Next

Return to Equipment