Long intro, but quick ? about learning curve

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Long intro, but quick ? about learning curve

Postby JLee » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:15 pm

First off I must say I have had a lot of fun and learned a lot from these forums. The amount of knowledge and helpful people on this site really are amazing. I wish I had found these forums before dropping $150 on discs based solely on the Marshall Street Flight Guide!

I am 42 now and really just starting off in earnest. I have played a bit in the past, but never regularly and never with any sort of goal or strategy. I am not a great athlete and I'm not in great shape. I guess I wonder what sort of realistic expectation should I have about development. I realize there are far too many variables to really answer this question, so instead I would like to hear some thoughts about others' growth curve with a relatively late start.

So in a nutshell, what age did you start playing regularly and how long did it take you to rip it good? That is, if you would care to share that info.

In case it's relevant, here's my bag:
175 Jerry Garcia Stamp Spirit (friend gave me this-- based on my first throw, I'm afraid to even look at it, honestly)
172 Gold Bolt (Davy Jones' Locker)
170 Gold Halo (DJL also)
2x 168 D-Line Rogue
167 DX Valk
172 Proton Volt
173 Neutron Amp
172 Z Glide
2x 170-2 Pro D Buzzz
176 Crystal Z Buzzz SS
175 Soft Challenger
175 D Magnet

I have found that the Glide is my most consistent disc in terms of distance. It is never the longest nor the shortest. The Crystal Z Buzzz SS and the Volt have been the most consistent in terms of placement. The Rogue and the Valk have given me my farthest throws by far, but are inconsistent. My local course has ~10 holes that require long 2nd shots for me, but are listed as par 3s. And of course holes 1 and hole 18 feature daunting water shots (who would design a course that way!! sheesh let us get warmed up/finished up safely :( ).

Right now I have to choose between a consistently placed drive and a long second shot vs. an inconsistently placed drive with a potentially much easier second shot. My wallet is opting for the former.

Anyway, I would love to get better, but I am having a ton of fun.

Thanks again to all for creating a great source of information and entertainment and sorry for the wall of text!
-Josh
JLee
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: Long intro, but quick ? about learning curve

Postby jubuttib » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:34 am

I started playing when I was 23-24, and I was ripping decently the year after that. However I must point out that I spent my whole first year with very bad technique, and only started to improve after I started reading these forums and practicing during the winter, completely rebuilding my form. I'd say that it took me about 2-3 months to go from horrible to decent (or what I'd now call decent, back then it was from horrible to amazing) after I began to practice seriously with specific aims. After that you can always continue to improve, you're never done learning. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:03 am

A proper amount of quality practice with knowledge of what to change and how leads to the fastest improvement. It helps a lot to have someone that has experience to look at yojr throwing. Live is best but you can send a video to the video critigue section here. In field practice you can get a lot of repetition quickly so twice a week should be a minimum early in the career.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:36 am

JLee wrote: I am 42 now and really just starting off in earnest. I have played a bit in the past, but never regularly and never with any sort of goal or strategy. I am not a great athlete and I'm not in great shape. I guess I wonder what sort of realistic expectation should I have about development. I realize there are far too many variables to really answer this question, so instead I would like to hear some thoughts about others' growth curve with a relatively late start.

So in a nutshell, what age did you start playing regularly and how long did it take you to rip it good? That is, if you would care to share that info.
-Josh

The best players show immediate promise, turn Pro within a year and cash readily against top competition until age, injury or disinterest draw them away from the game. The rest of us plod more slowly along with only a small percent eventually graduating into Pros.

I, like you, caught the bug after I was already Masters age. So our chances of becoming a top Open Pro were close to non-existent. How good your game becomes is a function of your exposure, motivation and inherent talents. It took me 3 years to start playing Pro, which coincided with my learning a forehand drive and the happy realization that I was forehand dominant adding more than 100 feet in distance to my drive.

To becoming a cashing Pro you need to minimize any weakness and have areas of true strength. Power and putting are good places to start. With enough practice accuracy and consistency can be developed. Power and putting are the magic that separate the pack.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Return to General Discussion