Senior throw length

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Senior throw length

Postby HerbD » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:24 am

I'm 74, and I have a question on my driving. My maximum distance is only about 50 yards or so. Many other disc golfers I see throw at least twice that. However, most of them are college age kids. I'm rather disappointed at my distance. Although I can't expect to throw as far as these young guys, does anyone have any thoughts on what would be a good drive for someone my age? I've played quite a number of times, and I exercise regularly. I throw a Pro Katana mostly, and also a Leopard. Any help or thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

Herb
HerbD
Noob

Favorite Disc: Soft Magnet

Re: Senior throw length

Postby JR » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:48 pm

Welcome. We don't have guys your age and experienced throwers to my knowledge in Finland nor have i seen anyone live. World championship videos have a little footage of those guys in your division but i don't recall the distances off the top of my head. And i just got home from abroad filming Eurotour stop 6 Prodiscus Estonian Open and gotta get some shuteye. I bet the best in the world can still get out to at least 60 yards possibly 80'+.

Rollers go far.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JHern » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:53 am

If you want some inspiration, check out the story of Carlos Rigby #48542 who won 2011 and 2012 Worlds as a Sr Legend, and is in his late 70s. A few years ago his doctor told him to find a way to get out and get exercise and fresh air for his health, so he picked up disc golf and it wasn't long before he won his first Worlds. I followed his group for part of a round at 2011 Worlds, which included a lot of famous guys such as Stancil Johnson. Anyways, those guys threw a lot of rollers when they could, and they did their best to bang putts inside the circle. Except for Carlos, they were averaging closer to bogey per hole than par per hole.

You could try to register for Pro Worlds this year as a Sr Legend, and play with these guys. At 50 yards, and improving, you could actually compete if your putts are solid. They are usually much more lenient about the procedures for getting into a Worlds as a Sr Legend than they are with the younger divisions, and these guys have a blast! The incisive banter between them was simply awesome, and wonderful to see that folks have just as much fun playing into their late 70s as we have at a younger age (I'm Masters-age).
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Turbine712 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:30 pm

Hey there old man. Being 60yrs old myself, I can relate to your distance issues. I was over at Gotta go throw in Golden Valley, Mn talking with Blake and Charlie and what I learned was that.
1. Throwing lighter weight discs can give you more distance.
2. If you are not generating the amount of power for the amount of power to drive the disc it will most likely just fall to the ground or hyzer dramatically.
3. If you go to their website, they have a chart you can download and print. Look at the colum on the right side that says PWR.
PWR is the amount of power needed to be generated to drive the disc. Look for discs in the 2 catagory to start. Get 1 driver in a light weight 140-150 ( maybe even less). Give it a try.
4. I would also reccomend a instructional DVD ( DISC GOLF FUNDAMENTALS) By Ken Climo and Dave Feldberg. Itp has tons of information that really helped.
5. If all else fails, then work on your approach and putting game.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Turbine712
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cyclone

Postby HerbD » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:21 pm

Thanks all for your replies everyone. They're a huge help! After seeing what you said about rollers, I didn't know about that shot before- I'll definitely give that a try.

Turbine 712- I've mainly been driving with a Pro Katana at 172, but I also have a Star Leopard (not sure of the weight on that, Innova just lists it at 150-175), and a Pluto marked at 159. The Pro Katana is the one that I use the most, but maybe it's too heavy. What specific disc would you recommend if you were just buying one outright for us old guys?

Overall very pleased with the amount of help on the board, thanks a bunch!
HerbD
Noob

Favorite Disc: Soft Magnet

Postby Turbine712 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:29 am

Hey, I was instructed to use a 140-150 gram King Cobra. If you can throw it well and make it do what it is made for, then you on your way. Blake said that the King Cobra has been thrown 450'. So that is what I have been using in my practice sessions.
Also, after watching the DVD, I have increased my d
riving a whopping 75' so far. It has helped a lot.

172 in my opinion is to heavy. The pros are throwing 175. So your disc is only 3 grams lighter.
I would go way lighter. I have one driver thats127g's
Turbine712
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cyclone

Postby Monocacy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:08 am

I remember when I was in my 40s, playing once or twice a year, I thought it unlikely that I would ever improve my low-200' distance. Ten years later I can throw about 100' further (still not great compared with many, of course). The nice thing about disc golf is that technique improvement can trump the ravages of age. Read the articles on this site, watch YouTube videos on technique, keep practicing, and I will be very surprised if you do not see your distance improve significantly.

As far as disc weight is concerned, don't be hesitant to throw lighter discs. I throw 150s for drivers and around 165 for midranges and putters. Lighter discs put far less stress and strain on creaky joints.

I would suggest practicing most with midranges and putters, and limiting drivers to something like a Leopard or Diamond in the 150-gram range. Turbine gives good advice, especially in checking the PWR ratings on Joe's Flight Chart.

And yeah, developing accurate drives and a solid putt and approach game will let you hang with people who throw a lot farther.

Good luck!
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby fore » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:49 am

If you like the Katana, Blizzard Katanas are available down to the mid 130s, and Pro Katanas can get down to the low 160s.

Turbine712 wrote:3. If you go to their website, they have a chart you can download and print. Look at the colum on the right side that says PWR.
PWR is the amount of power needed to be generated to drive the disc. Look for discs in the 2 catagory to start. Get 1 driver in a light weight 140-150 ( maybe even less). Give it a try.

Here's the chart Turbine 712 referred to: http://www.gottagogottathrow.com/discgo ... Chart1.pdf

I tend to agree with Turbine712 that you may benefit from throwing discs with a lower power requirement. While high speed drivers like the Katana have greater distance potential than lower speed drivers (and who doesn't want to throw farther?), they require greater arm speed and power to achieve that potential. PWR 2 is probably a good starting point, but I wouldn't rule out understable PWR 3 molds.
fore
Noob

Favorite Disc: Phenix

Postby Grinder » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:07 pm

HerbD - I'm 60 and just started playing about 6 weeks ago. Back hand I'm a solid 160 feet but after hurting my shoulder I went to forehand on my drives and am up to an inconsistent 210 feet but getting better with form and so forth. Forehand takes very little strength and is more form (correct me if I'm wrong).

I go back hand with pretty good from 160 in but off the tee forehand.

Also as others said look for lighter disc's in the 150s that might help.
Grinder
Noob

Favorite Disc: Patroit

Postby teemkey » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:56 am

I'm 10 years younger, but when I started playing a year ago the first driver that clicked for me was a champ mamba at 166. You might want to try a weight closer to 150; as a general rule, understable drivers will be better for you as the because they require less arm speed and spin to go straight.

The best advice I can offer though is to put work into your short game. Sadly, we old geezers will never be able to throw the distances the young guns do, so we've got to compete with a better short game. If you have a "pitch & putt" course near you, play it as much as you can. Mids & putters are our bread and butter. Learn to get down in two 90% of the time from 150', and you'll do fine.

Welcome to the sport, and have fun!
will work for birdies
teemkey
Noob

Favorite Disc: jokeri

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:39 am

Try the Bonopane grip for driving. It naturally brings down the nose of the disc to help you get a more level release.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fenrir » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:45 am

I'm a younger guy (27) but when I take my dad (he's 62) out I give him something slower (cyclone at around 167g) as he doesn't have the arm speed for big rims.
I would say stay at speed 9 or below and keep the weights lower like the others have said.
Challenger-Comet-Roc-Eagle x-Leopard-Predator
Fenrir
Noob

Favorite Disc: z buzzz

Postby Monocacy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:01 pm

Fenrir wrote:I would say stay at speed 9 or below and keep the weights lower like the others have said.

^^^This. One of my longest throws ever was with a 150 Champ Leopard
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fenrir » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:57 am

If you really want something that will go long maybe a light valk?
But yes I would agree with monocacy a champ or star Leo in the 150's for stable and a pro to beat in to flippy
Challenger-Comet-Roc-Eagle x-Leopard-Predator
Fenrir
Noob

Favorite Disc: z buzzz

Postby black udder » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:35 am

depending on what the discs are doing for you (sharp hyzer or good solid flat flight or even S shot), I'd agree something 150-168g and perhaps something like a mamba would help - or a sidewinder. Those discs have a fair amount of glide and should get you longer flat flight than some of the other drivers. In my experience, the blizzard plastic hasn't reduced the stability of the discs for people throwing under 400', so a katana at 150 will still fly similarly to it's heavier counterpart, but it should fly a bit further just because it's lighter. For midrange, a light stalker (160's) would probably be good as well. It shouldn't fade/skip as hard as the drivers and should remain fairly flat in flight.

I know there's a guy around here - I don't know how old he is, I suspect 60's, and he is still throwing 400'+ - the difference is he's been doing this for decades. He's always had great form and so he's still able to get great distance without major physical effort.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Next

Return to General Discussion