All Throws Hyzer With Stable And Overstable Discs

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

All Throws Hyzer With Stable And Overstable Discs

Postby mgilbert » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:42 am

RHBH... I can't seem to get stable and overstable discs to fly flat - they always hyzer. I try to angle the edge of the disc farthest from my hand up on my reach back, but somehow, that doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm missing something. Relaxing and lowering my right shoulder seems to help, but does not completely correct the problem. I even have the same problem with higher speed understable discs. I have a Buzzz Ti, and I've yet to throw it flat. To eliminate other variables, I've been practicing without taking any steps. I line up, pull through as I accelerate, and shift my weight from back to front, and usually get a good snap between my fingers and thumb when the disc leaves my hand. Speed might be an issue, as a typical throw for a lower speed understable disc is about 220 feet - occasionally 250 feet. I can throw a Sidewinder 260 to 280 feet, but it hyzers, at least a little, the whole way. I've read volumes on this, and watched lots of videos, and practiced until I'm worn out, but just can't seem to correct the problem...
mgilbert
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cobra

Re: All Throws Hyzer With Stable And Overstable Discs

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:11 am

Stop bending forward at the waist. Stand up straighter. If this doesn't fix it then arch your back backwards.

A disc hyzers or goes straight or anhyzers based primarily on 3 factors: your body position, your arm swing and your wrist position. If you arch backwards, use an arm motion which goes from high (release) to low (follow through) and tilt the wing up on release your disc will anhyzer so hard it turns into a roller. Adjust as needed.

Obviously the stability of the disc, the wind strength and direction, the amount of flutter your generate and the amount of power you throw with all affect what a disc does as well. But if you bend forward at the waist on release then it is hard to do anything but hyzer.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby mgilbert » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:21 am

Thank you Mark. I'll give that a try, and work with it for a while. I'm sure I'm releasing the disc with a hyzer angle on it. I just haven't been able to correct it. Even exaggerating my wrist angle in order to tip the disc up doesn't seem to work. I guess I'm not holding the angle through the release somehow, no matter how hard I try.
mgilbert
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cobra

Postby itlnstln » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:59 pm

If you haven't perused the instructional articles, there are some good ones such as this: http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... hing.shtml. Bending over at the waist is a huge contributor to a bigger problem of not pulling the disc through on the angle you want to release at. The article I linked to will help. Also, finishing with your arm lower than the plane of the throw will help, but if you're following the article, you'll probably be doing that anyway. One thing that Mark sort of alluded to and another pro, Mike Robinson, mentioned explicitly is that one approach is to always hold the disc 90 deg. to your body and use your ability to bend over or arch your back to control the overall angle (you'll notice the pics of John Kretzschmar in the article show him using is upper body angle to control the angle of the disc; not his arm specifically). No matter how you achieve a consistent angle through your pull, telegraphing your shot is always recommended.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby JR » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:50 pm

Grip might be a culprit as well and it is ok to have the disc hyzer a little in the grip often but for diagnostical purposes it is best to get the disc level in the hand.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique