Slow Play Drives Me Crazy

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Slow Play Drives Me Crazy

Postby Mark Ellis » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:18 am

C'mon! Pick it up.

I have never noticed any relationship between playing slower and playing better. Slower ain't better its just slower. The only ones who benefit are the mosquitoes.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Re: Slow Play Drives Me Crazy

Postby PMantle » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:24 am

For a second, I though I was on one of my golf boards. :lol:
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby inthedrift » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:13 pm

I'm with ya Mark, it's always a bit frustrating when you get one of the known slow players on your card at leagues/tournaments. I hate having to tell a person it's their turn to throw on just about every lie. Many of these people take over 30 seconds when they finally do decide to take a stance behind their mark.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby iacas » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:26 pm

Just played my first tournament. 430-foot heavily wooded holes… and people are waiting for the basket to be clear before they throw.

Give me a break.

I'm not entirely certain I'll play tournament disc golf again in the near future.
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby Monocacy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:28 pm

I played a tournament with a guy that had an incredibly elaborate and drawn-out series of tics that he went through before each and every putt. After a few holes I could no longer watch, it made me too agitated.

A spectator joined our group, watched the guy go through his routine before missing a 20-footer, and commented under his breath "Could have achieved that result in a lot less time."

I had to feign a coughing fit.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby itlnstln » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:56 am

Slow play kills me in tourneys partly because I typically play my casual rounds alone, so my pacing is all off when get on a card with three others. Couple that with slow play on the cards ahead of ours, and I'm way off - I seem to get "cold" quickly. If I ever get time to play in more tourneys, I'll really need to hit the weekend minis to get used to the pace again.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Mark Ellis » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:35 am

Tournament play is much slower. I understand that. I still don't like it but I understand it. Slow play in leagues and casual rounds is less tolerable.

Slow play is about not being mentally prepared and having no sense of urgency. The vast, vast majority of my drives off the tee (on any course I am familiar with) I know what line I am going to throw with what disc. I have this planned before it is my turn to throw. I have my driver in my hand as I wait for my turn to throw. After my drive, as I walk to my lie, I plan what kind of upshot or putt I likely have, which player in the group is out and what disc or discs I will likely use. Why is staying on point so difficult a task for slow players?

I played in a league last weekend. We were in a 5-some ( 2 dbls teams and a Cali ). 2 of our group were God awful slow. As always, I was torn whether to gripe at them. Griping at slow players is just as likely to make them slower as faster but virtually guaranteed to make them mad at me (How dare I mention their rudeness!!). So I said nothing about their pace and purposely said little to either about anything (one was my own partner) for fear of distracting them and making them even slower. After an hour out of boredom and curiosity I started timing them on their shots. Easy, simple shots took 30 seconds. Heck it sometimes took that long for one of them to figure out it was their shot. Tricky shots always took over a minute. The round (24 hole, average distance course) took over 4 hours with no one in front of us. For a tournament that is slow motion. For a league it was painful.

For any slow players out there who wonder why they don't get invited to play casual rounds, you might have found your answer.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby itlnstln » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:11 pm

I may not be the most expedient player, but taking over a minute for a shot is ludicrous. I usually have my plan figured out before I get to my disc, so I take no more than 30 seconds on any shot... except for drives. For some reason, I psych myself out from time-to-time, and I need a bit to clear my head and get re-focused (I'm getting better, though).
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby PMantle » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:03 pm

Never seen slow play :dancingbanana:
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby money 21 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:27 pm

not knowing when it is your turn is the one that frustrates me. You just got a birdie no one else did get on the tee box and throw. If you are last on the box have your disc ready when it is your turn.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby BrotherDave » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:16 pm

Sometimes when my allergens are bad and making me dizzy I have to walk really slow after each throw until the vertigo stops. It's infrequent and very rarely am I dragging really bad but one time I did cut out of a big group mid-round b/c I didn't want them to have to wait on me.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby Working Stiff » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:52 am

Hi. I'm that slow guy you hate.

A few things:

1) I'm 46. Both of my knees are shot. I have a desk job and sit on my ass 40 hours a week. I'm not in very good shape. If I try to keep pace with the 20-somethings, I'll be out of gas throwing 80' n00b hyzers by hole 12.

2) I'm married with two kids and a mortgage. I finance that with the before-mentioned sit on my ass job. There is no wing night at the bar waiting for me, just a leaky toilet or urgent call from and incompetent employee. I've got nowhere to go that is going to make me in an any sort of hurry.

3) The experience is an escape from the day to day life, and the experience is more than just the golf. I might get distracted by the birds or how much water is in the creek because I'm looking around enjoying the park. I'm just not that focused on the golf. When I get to my lie, I might have been looking at some wildflowers and have no idea what I'm throwing. :roll: Sorry.

In short, I've always wondered was was so unfun about disc golf that makes you all in such a damned hurry to get out of there. :P
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:26 am

Very good point WS. I don't play slow, but I always pause to enjoy my surroundings.
"Are you talking to me on a cellular phone? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here! Prank caller! Prank caller!"
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Z BUZZZ

Postby Working Stiff » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:30 pm

Really the thing that puts me behind is the short throws and not being very good. I'm not very good so I'm often last on the tee. I throw short so I'm often the first guy to throw in the fairway. So what happens is everybody tees and gets their bag. I tee and they start walking. I have to watch my throw land so I can find it, then go get my bag; I'm already 15 steps behind. Everybody walks up to their discs, and then...wait on me. I'm probably 20 steps behind by this point. So everybody is watching me walk up from behind. Even if I know what I'm going to throw it is in the backpack and I can't reach it until I get to my lie, take the bag off and pull the disc out. Everybody watches me do that after they stood around waiting for me to get to my lie in the first place. Now I need to throw. If I take ANY time at all people flip out since they have been waiting for me already; I have to rush my throw just to keep everybody happy. That helps keep me last on the tee so we can do it all over again next hole.

Often I get that pressure to hurry up and I fail to watch my disc land before I go get my bag, and then I slow everything down 'cause I can't find the damn thing. NEWS FLASH: THE GUY TAKING 20 MORE STROKES THAN YOU IS GOING TO NEED MORE TIME THAN YOU TO FINISH THE ROUND. No matter how you cut it, if you are throwing a 46 and I'm putting up a 66 I'm gonna slow you down. No amount of glares or crappy comments is going to change that.

I hear a lot of good players complain about playing with bad players because we screw with the rhythm of the round. It goes both way. I bend over backward to avoid playing rounds with good players so I can actually relax, play my round and not be freaking rushed all the damn time.
Last edited by Working Stiff on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Flipflat » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:40 pm

Working Stiff wrote:Really the thing that puts me behind is the short throws and not being very good. I'm not very good so I'm often last on the tee. I throw short so I'm often the first guy to throw in the fairway. So what happens is everybody tees and gets their bag. I tee and they start walking. I have to watch my throw land so I can find it, then go get my bag; I'm already 15 steps behind. Everybody walks up to their discs, and then...wait on me. I'm probably 20 steps behind by this point. So everybody is watching me walk up from behind. Even if I know what I'm going to throw it is in the backpack and I can't reach it until I get to my lie, take the bag off and pull the disc out. Everybody watches me do that after they stood around waiting for me to get to my lie in the first place. Now I need to throw. If I take ANY time at all people flip out since they have been waiting for me already; I have to rush my throw just to keep everybody happy. That helps keep me last on the tee so we can do it all over again next hole..

Can't help but laugh a little cuz I'm picturing Ron Jermey doing all this.

But yeah, good point, and it sounds like you play with some rude people. Silver lining- you're probably toughening up your mental game. Fuck 'em.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Next

Return to General Discussion