Favorite Shots

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Favorite Shots

Postby PMantle » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:46 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:Extreme downhill distance shots. Nothing better than watching people throw katanas downhill to have them turn and burn when they hit cruise speed. Then I step up with whichever hss mid or fairway of choice and have it glide forever and never fade or burn... throwing challengers and d wasps in the mountains has an amazing place in my memory.

I never get to throw these. Would have been my guess to throw understable stuff. Tell me more, as the new 18 at my course will have one pretty good downhill drive.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:11 am
Location: Alexandria, La.
Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: Favorite Shots

Postby money 21 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:01 am

a big s curve that start coming back just when everyone thinks it is headed for a burn out.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1811
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:18 pm
Favorite Disc: Z XS

Re: Favorite Shots

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:31 pm

PMantle wrote:
Thatdirtykid wrote:Extreme downhill distance shots. Nothing better than watching people throw katanas downhill to have them turn and burn when they hit cruise speed. Then I step up with whichever hss mid or fairway of choice and have it glide forever and never fade or burn... throwing challengers and d wasps in the mountains has an amazing place in my memory.

I never get to throw these. Would have been my guess to throw understable stuff. Tell me more, as the new 18 at my course will have one pretty good downhill drive.


Downhill shots always need to be taken as shorter. You can get a disc to keep it's cruising speed much easier. So a Katana downhill (as dirtykid said) would probably get past it's cruising speed too easy, resulting in a turn and burn. Throwing an understable fairway driver on a hyzer downhill is so much fun to watch as it slowly keeps flipping and gliding forward. You can also get away with slower discs for more accuracy.

Take hole 27 at DeLaveaga in Santa Cruz. Most guys I saw throwing this hole (even in the long layout) were throwing putters, unless it was a sidearm shot.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_pi ... 77d012.jpg
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:42 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Favorite Shots

Postby PMantle » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:47 am

Fightingthetide wrote: Throwing an understable fairway driver on a hyzer downhill is so much fun to watch as it slowly keeps flipping and gliding forward. You can also get away with slower discs for more accuracy.


I have two Furys and an Amp ready to go.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:11 am
Location: Alexandria, La.
Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: Favorite Shots

Postby mark12b » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:05 am

Short anny flick with a Rhyno -- I love how it holds the line yet pans out just right to land flat and stay close to the basket.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1177
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:28 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Favorite Shots

Postby JHern » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:52 am

There's nothing I despise more than a stupid hyzer. Anhyzer flex over a hill top, under a tree branched arch, and hooking back at the end and skipping up to the pin next to an ultra-deep deep canyon with a death putt finish for birdie...THAT is my favorite shot!
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!
User avatar
 
Posts: 2620
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:50 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: Favorite Shots

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:14 am

JHern wrote:There's nothing I despise more than a stupid hyzer. Anhyzer flex over a hill top, under a tree branched arch, and hooking back at the end and skipping up to the pin next to an ultra-deep deep canyon with a death putt finish for birdie...THAT is my favorite shot!


Which hole at Dela was that? :)
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:42 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Favorite Shots

Postby BrotherDave » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:24 pm

I almost look forward to being stuck on the left edge of a fairway that bends to the left because it gives me an excuse to FH my 155 Ch. Leo around the corner on a hyzerflip to turnover.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan
User avatar
 
Posts: 1340
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:06 pm
Location: Surrounded by Boobies.
Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Re: Favorite Shots

Postby rhatton2 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:06 am

Boring I know but a dead straight approach with my wizard around 70 meters that just lifts out of the hand for the first 20 - 30 meters and then spends the rest of the flight gliding down to the basket never deviating from the line - thing of beauty. Had one of these at a pitch and putt layout the other day for a guy who didn't know what i was doing and asked the usual how far you can throw it, explained that I was only throwing a putter as there was not enough room for a driver and then throwing this shot and watching it glide down and bounce of the bucket at around 75 meters - then turning around and carrying on the conversation as though i do this everytime :)
rhatton2
Noob
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:57 am
Favorite Disc: Wizard/Roc

Re: Favorite Shots

Postby JR » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:56 am

rhatton2 wrote:Boring I know but a dead straight approach with my wizard around 70 meters that just lifts out of the hand for the first 20 - 30 meters and then spends the rest of the flight gliding down to the basket never deviating from the line - thing of beauty. Had one of these at a pitch and putt layout the other day for a guy who didn't know what i was doing and asked the usual how far you can throw it, explained that I was only throwing a putter as there was not enough room for a driver and then throwing this shot and watching it glide down and bounce of the bucket at around 75 meters - then turning around and carrying on the conversation as though i do this everytime :)


Pure gold!
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11492
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Favorite Shots

Postby Cryu » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Oh man, I don't even know where to begin. Straight shots in a forest with a fairway driver, massive hyzer bombs on an open field, massive anhyzer flips on a track curved to the right, long straddle-putts, anhyzer approaches with a midrange-disc, overhead shots over some heavy foliage, righthanded thumbers thrown at two-o-clock angle with an under-stable disc ... I love it all!
It's succeeding at a shot rather than a specific type of shot I enjoy.
Cryu
Noob
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:40 pm
Favorite Disc: Champion Leopard

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest