Equalizer

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Equalizer

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:32 am

I was looking through Gotto Go Gotto Throw hoping to find an esp avenger, and I saw this think called an equalizer. Does anyone use them? I know many players used to have these a few years ago.

Worth the investment?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:14 am

It looks like a resistance band...and a somewhat expensive one at that. I'll bet that if you go to a place like Target, you could find a set of three bands for that price. Apparently they're pretty good for any sort of resistance training up to a point. I use one for rotator cuff exercises, but you can do just about any weight lifting exercise with them. If you search online a bit I'm sure you could find all kinds of exercises and workout routines using just a set or two of those bands.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:41 am

I've been looking for resistance bands locally, but no luck. I'll keep looking though. I know I used to get them from the high school trainer, so maybe I'll go hit her up for some.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby MrTasses » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:29 pm

If your HS trainer can hook you up, thats the best option. It's the same stuff, but free.

It looks like a resistance band...and a somewhat expensive one at that. I'll bet that if you go to a place like Target, you could find a set of three bands for that price.

I did just that about 2 months ago. 3 bands, two handles, and a strap (for ankles but works really well for closing in a door to anchor the band) for ~ $20.

You can also buy the resistance band material on the internet. I think it's called TheraBand or something like that.
MrTasses
Tree Magnet

Postby roadkill » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:47 pm

I just bought the Champion branded 3 band resistance band package for $14.99 at target.

I had rotator cuff related problems (shoulder impingement) last summer and the PT prescribed external and internal rotation exercises with the bands to sure up the rotator cuff.

Building the rotator cuff won't neccesarily help you throw farther or better but it's important in injury prevention. With band work/rotator cuff work you want to do high reps (20-25) do them slowly and hold for one second at furthest stretch point.

If you're after more power, I'd suggest back work (bent over rows), rear delt work (bent over lateral raise-light dumbells) and forearm work (wrist curl, reverse wrist curl, gyro training) and maybe grip strength training (hand gyro, grippers, pinch grip exercises).

Ab/core workouts and flexibility training will also yield positive results.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Weebl » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:41 pm

If you want a bigger arm work on speed, and your legs/core. Calfs, quads, hamstrings, glutes(ass), and obliques. If you have back problems though, make sure to strengthen your shoulders, and lower back.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:57 am

FWIW, I threw for the first time in several months this last weekend and the muscles that were sore were my quads, glutes, obliques, biceps and side and rear delts.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby roadkill » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:13 am

Hamstrings are my nemesis. Gotta work on stretching them out better.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Return to Equipment