Understable beginners disc

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Understable beginners disc

Postby TyrionWarMage » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:41 am

I'm pretty new to discgolf and struggling quite a bit to throw RHBH. The problem is, that i'm not able to throw controlled and powerfull at the same time, hence i'm usually only using it for putting. Of course, i need to work on this but nevertheless i would like to have an understable disc for RHFH to be able to throw left curved long range. I'm not throwing very powerfull, hence i would also like to have a disc with decent gliding properties.
Currently considering a Innova Monarc/Mamba or a Discgolf Stratus/Glide and would be happy to get some advice.
TyrionWarMage
Noob
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:58 am

Re: Understable beginners disc

Postby JR » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:04 pm

Welcome. The discs that you mentioned are very different to each other with way different requirements to the power generation. You did not mention your power but the Stratus is super low in power requirement and very flippy so it is hard to keep from rolling. I have not thrown the Glide but i imagine it is a little more forgiving to throwing technique errors. Monarch and Mamba are fast power hungry drivers that have fade so they tend to fight out of anhyer ending up right in the end of a RHFH flight unless thrown to pretty far away or with a lot of anhyer matched just right with the height and the power so that the disc lands flat. Which is hard to do consistently and when you miss the disc can roll left or right and far. You did not mention how far you throw so it is hard to guess which disc would suite your power.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11240
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Understable beginners disc

Postby TyrionWarMage » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:32 am

Hard to say how far i'm throwing but it's probably not very far. It is definitly WELL below 100m/300f and most likely below 200f ... will measure it next time. And yeah, i'm already having problems with the disc rolling away. So from the mentioned discs, i would tend to go for the Glide ?
TyrionWarMage
Noob
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:58 am

Re: Understable beginners disc

Postby JR » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:10 pm

Innova Coyote and Westside Warship could be better. Maybe even a DGA Squall that is not in clear sparkle plastic.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11240
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Understable beginners disc

Postby NoLifeLeft » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:07 pm

ABC Flying Squirrel.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1655
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:13 pm
Location: Winchester, VA
Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Re: Understable beginners disc

Postby TyrionWarMage » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:40 am

After checking out the mentioned discs, it seems to me i should go for mid-range disc rather than long-range discs, but why ?
DGA and ABC are not really available here (germany) .. at least i havnt found them, hence i will probably go for a warship.
Thanks for the advice
TyrionWarMage
Noob
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:58 am

Re: Understable beginners disc

Postby jubuttib » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:09 am

TyrionWarMage wrote:After checking out the mentioned discs, it seems to me i should go for mid-range disc rather than long-range discs, but why ?
Before your form is developed (you did say you can't throw both hard and with control) it's best to use discs that won't mask your form issues (which drivers tend to do) and focus on learning to make slower discs fly longer. For example a simple DX Aviar doesn't require much power at all to fly 250-270', just good technique, and at the other end it can easily handle over 300' of power with a flat release when thrown with proper form. Learning how to throw slow discs longer will require that you learn to manipulate and control the disc angle, as well as smooth out your form.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5415
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Understable beginners disc

Postby DiscinFiend » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:59 pm

jubuttib wrote:
TyrionWarMage wrote:After checking out the mentioned discs, it seems to me i should go for mid-range disc rather than long-range discs, but why ?
Before your form is developed (you did say you can't throw both hard and with control) it's best to use discs that won't mask your form issues (which drivers tend to do) and focus on learning to make slower discs fly longer. For example a simple DX Aviar doesn't require much power at all to fly 250-270', just good technique, and at the other end it can easily handle over 300' of power with a flat release when thrown with proper form. Learning how to throw slow discs longer will require that you learn to manipulate and control the disc angle, as well as smooth out your form.

:thumbup: Everything that jubuttib said is right on the money. I would recommend getting a stable Mid like a Buzzz & an understable Mid like a Kite or Stingray.
Grip A-Series
Destroyer - PD - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Roc - KC Aviar
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep
DiscinFiend
Noob
User avatar
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:31 pm
Location: Greenfield, WI
Favorite Disc: KC Roc

Re: Understable beginners disc

Postby Flipflat » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:27 pm

panther
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1502
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:01 pm
Location: Detroitish
Favorite Disc: buzzz

Re: Understable beginners disc

Postby Stringbean » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:45 pm

I loved the Panther when I first started playing. I still have fun throwing it from time to time.
Summit - Judge - QMS - Leopard - Eagle - SOLS - QOLF - Beast - Wraith
Stringbean
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:11 am
Location: SE Wisconsin
Favorite Disc: Panther

Re: Understable beginners disc

Postby SkaBob » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:56 pm

Hard to go wrong with a Comet...
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore
 
Posts: 3493
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:51 am
Location: Detroit
Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: Understable beginners disc

Postby jubuttib » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:38 am

SkaBob wrote:Hard to go wrong with a Comet...
Not really an understable disc as such though... Well, in Z at least.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5415
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Understable beginners disc

Postby JTdisc » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:41 am

I was in the same boat as you last year.

Stay away from the Monarch and the Mamba. You will not be able to throw them. Despite being understable, at your throw speed, they will only go a very short distance and fade hard into the ground.

Start off throwing mids, stay away from longer ranged discs. Get a stable disc and an understable disc and experiment throwing each of them forehand and backhand and develop various shots for when you need the disc to go left or right. Here are a few mids that I really like:

Discraft: Buzzz (stable) and Meteor (understable)

Lat 64: Core (stable) and Fuse (understable)
JTdisc
Noob
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:49 am
Favorite Disc: Saint

Re: Understable beginners disc

Postby jubuttib » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:48 am

JTdisc wrote:I was in the same boat as you last year.

Stay away from the Monarch and the Mamba. You will not be able to throw them. Despite being understable, at your throw speed, they will only go a very short distance and fade hard into the ground.

Start off throwing mids, stay away from longer ranged discs. Get a stable disc and an understable disc and experiment throwing each of them forehand and backhand and develop various shots for when you need the disc to go left or right. Here are a few mids that I really like:

Discraft: Buzzz (stable) and Meteor (understable)

Lat 64: Core (stable) and Fuse (understable)
I'd add the Comet to the Discraft list as a stable to understable (depending on the plastic) option, one of the best discs to teach you good form.
Other options:
Discmania: S-MD2/P-MD2/New D-MD2 (stable) and used D-MD2 (understable).
Westside: Pursi/Warship (stable) and Tursas (understable).
Prodiscus: Premium MIDARi (stable) and (used) Basic MIDARi (understable).
Innova: Mako/Coyote/Lycan (stable) and Panther/Stingray (understable).
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5415
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2


Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests