recovering from a bad round

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

recovering from a bad round

Postby money 21 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:28 pm

I had an absolute colapse in the middle of a round in a tourny today. Have a hard time getting focused for the round tomorrow.
Question
how you recover from a horrible round both during and after.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Re: recovering from a bad round

Postby ferretdance03 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:01 pm

Stop thinking about the round and think about the shot. You can't change the shot that you threw before and there's no sense worry about the shot you didn't throw yet.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Re: recovering from a bad round

Postby itlnstln » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:51 am

During a round:
-Forget the drivers. If the hole is 700', you're throwing a Roc or whatever-your-somewhat-overstable midrange is. You need predictability, not distance at this point.
-Abuse the hell out of your most accurate/predictable shot. When I'm playing poorly, I'm throwing thumbers at everything. I know exactly where they are going to land.

In both cases what you're looking for are some solid shots in a hurry to boost your confidence. The thumbers typically do it for me.

After a round:
-Go home. Sitting around talking to everyone is just going to bring you down. People with good rounds are going to make you feel shitty, and people with bad rounds are misery looking for company.

The next day (and really before any tourney round):
-Go to the course (very early), try to find an empty spot, and throw some warm-up shots
-If possible, try to play 6-9 holes before the round starts. This will give you a good clue how you're throwing for the day, how your discs are performing in the current weather conditions, and let your brain start chewing on some strategies for how all those things will play into your upcoming round. If it's going to be a "thumber day," you want to know that going into the round not 3 holes into the round.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Return to General Discussion