Predator or Flick for thumbers/tomahawks?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Predator or Flick for thumbers/tomahawks?

Postby CJ1998 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:45 am

I find I can't get the same power on a wide rim when it comes to thumbers. Seems like they slip out early. Trackers and Avengers are the sweet spot for me.

Do you release thumbers straight up and down or do you turn it slightly (~5-10 degrees) so that the bottom of the disc is facing the ground? I haven't worked with it much, but it seems like that slight tilt lets the disc get a little farther downfield before it starts to turn and drop. I'll have to take a closer look at it.
CJ1998
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby money 21 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:07 pm

straight up and down for distance. adding angle is how you range more angle the shorter distance.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby jubuttib » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:21 am

With most thumber discs, yeah. My FR Premium RESPECTi on the other hand turns over so slowly that I have to throw it with an angle to let it fly at all. I guess someone with a bigger arm could throw it without adding an angle. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby DiscinFiend » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:32 am

I throw overhand a lot & I have two molds dedicate for it. I use a Champ Teebird for shorter more accurate shots & a (Flat Top) Champ Firebird for longer shots were I have more room to work. I'd say between the Pred & Flick use the Flick. The Flick is just better for overhand than a Pred in my experience & I could always get a little more distance out of it. I'd say go Flick for long overhand shots & use a neutral driver (Teebird, Rival ect.) for faster flipping shorter shots where you have less room to work &/or need more accuracy.
Last edited by DiscinFiend on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grip A-Series
Destroyer - PD - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Roc - KC Aviar
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep
DiscinFiend
Noob

Favorite Disc: KC Roc

Postby jubuttib » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:20 pm

It tends to be a bit of a toss up what type of thumber disc flies the longest for any given person. For me the Flick and all the other warp speed overstable discs (Nuke OS, PD2, Stiletto...) don't fly as long as my trusty RESPECTi, or an Opto XXX, or even a Champ Banshee, because they always flip around faster than the slower, true overstable discs. I get my distance on thumbers out of the glide the RESPECTi provides me, but I've seen people who have a much better OH than me get a lot farther with warp speeders, just because of the speed of the things. They have the power and technique to throw those disc fast enough that the glide doesn't matter anymore, whereas I don't.

So really, it depends a lot on the thrower, for some the slow rotating true overstable discs will be better while for some the faster rotating speed overstable discs will go longer.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Previous

Return to Equipment