I have decided to come out of retirement

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

I have decided to come out of retirement

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:17 pm

I admit I kind of got tired of taking a lot of abuse on here and on Youtube, so I decided that I was not going to continue espousing any more theories until I was sure I was on the right track. So, I kind of slipped away to work on myself.... I was never completely convinced of ANY positive direction until this year, when I returned to the basic theories discussed by myself and Blake.

I can say after two years of personal development... working on myself mostly, and testing my theories on students, that I was 100 percent correct in my assessment of the "disc pivot" as being the CENTRAL source of the big power crush as seen in the best professional players and distance champions. I can also say that the switch from trying to develop arm speed to the huge pivot, has improved all of my ergonomics to the point I would say I have developed somewhat smooth and pretty form. I not longer jam, I do not get off balance much, and my once steps are crushed laser beams.

In fact, once I completely embraced the pivot (having to actually slow down my arm to ridiculous levels) I realized that I have single handed discovered the main flaw of lesser players, and why backhand players struggle with nose up and forehand players do not. It also explains why great disc golfers (like ball golfers) appear to almost be in slow motion and the disc is killed. It is all coupling of forces through levers coupled to levers.

There are some wonderful new video of Higgins that show EXACTLY THE DISC PIVOT!!!! That kid has a two foot backhand pivot of the disc around his hand...., you can clearly see it in slow motion.

No time today. just wanted to say hey... I will return. B
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: I have decided to come out of retirement

Postby iacas » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:47 pm

I'm very glad to hear it. Welcome back. I inquired about where you might have gone just recently, so I'm happy you're back.
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby MrScoopa » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:00 pm

Good to see you back. It has been way to quiet around here.
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby rhatton2 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:02 pm

Delighted to hear it Bradley. Just discovered your closed shoulder snap drill and I think finally this with the super sekret techniques is going to push me through the next plateau. I'm feeling the weight of the disc in a way I never have before. Ignore the idiots and post more video drills please!
rhatton2
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Roc

Postby JHern » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:28 pm

Good stuff Brad, this is still the best DG discussion board in existence, nice to have you back in action.

I agree entirely with your assessment, and I would also add that the pivot is not simply a great source of power, but it is also the primary source of accuracy for skilled throwers. I've developed my throw to the point where I can feel the disc pivoting in the plane that I wish the disc to fly, in terms of its orientation angles (2 degrees of freedom: nose up/down and hyzer/anhyzer), it makes a huge difference. The disc comes out clean, no flutter. I can get the nose up or down. And the disc is banked just right for the turns...so long as I aimed it properly.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:00 am

Welcome back Brad i look forward to hearing what you have been working on how in minutiae. I know some of what but not at all how.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Bradley Walker » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:26 am

JHern wrote:Good stuff Brad, this is still the best DG discussion board in existence, nice to have you back in action.

I agree entirely with your assessment, and I would also add that the pivot is not simply a great source of power, but it is also the primary source of accuracy for skilled throwers. I've developed my throw to the point where I can feel the disc pivoting in the plane that I wish the disc to fly, in terms of its orientation angles (2 degrees of freedom: nose up/down and hyzer/anhyzer), it makes a huge difference. The disc comes out clean, no flutter. I can get the nose up or down. And the disc is banked just right for the turns...so long as I aimed it properly.

Well said. Indeed. The pivot is the plane really. Once you understand that you can really move the disc or throw very specific lines.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Flipflat » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:01 pm

Brad, you should put out a new pivot video. And a link to this Higgins video would be great.

It's always nice when there's some hardcore throwing theory posts in these forums, haven't seen much of it lately.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Moops » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:09 pm

Great news! Welcome back. I look forward to your new insights.
Moops
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pro Leopard

Postby niq » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:18 am

Good to hear Brad!
Also, screw all the naysayers, everything you have said has improved my drives dramatically. According to google maps I even threw a ~500-footer yesterday -- If I wasn't implementing yours/Blake's techniques that would have NEVER happened
niq
Noob

Postby seabas22 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:35 pm

:-o :-o :-o
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby DiscJay » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:34 am

Can't wait to hear what you've come up with. I have been working hard on the pivot and getting good results but I need more!! lol
DiscJay
Noob

Favorite Disc: Elite Z Comet

Postby Hoey » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:27 pm

Moops wrote:Great news! Welcome back. I look forward to your new insights.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby iacas » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:46 pm

I guess that may have been premature… :P Bummer. I was looking forward to what Bradley had learned.
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby rhatton2 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:49 am

Bumpity Bump.

Hopes Raised.

Hopes dashed :(

Impart thy knowledge oh wise one!

Would be great to see some in depth theory stuff again or new drills, it's all gone a bit stale recently.
rhatton2
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Roc

Next

Return to Technique