How light is to light

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

How light is to light

Postby Fenrir » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:00 pm

Ok so I've been playing for 4 years and have started buying lighter and lighter discs, so for someone throwing 300-325 with fairway drivers what's a good weight to buy discs at? 5 grams under max? What I'm asking I guess is when will it start making everything to susceptible to wind?

P.S. sorry for any spelling/grammer issuses I did this on my phone
Challenger-Comet-Roc-Eagle x-Leopard-Predator
Fenrir
Noob

Favorite Disc: z buzzz

Re: How light is to light

Postby Monocacy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:44 pm

Find a familiar stable disc - Roc would be a good one - get a variety of weights, throw 'em, and see how they fly for you. You could try DX Rocs at 175, 165, and 155 grams, and this experiment would cost around $24.

If your form is reasonably clean you should find that lighter discs fly about the same as heavier ones, but farther. Stable discs are fly stable, wind or no wind. Wind does blow the disc around more (air bumps, that sort of thing).

For much more detailed information, see:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12061&hilit=150+lovers

If you run the experiment, please do post your results.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Fenrir » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:52 pm

Money is the problem sadly. I have a few discs that are lighter weights like a 165g sidewinder just wondering how it would pan out for into the wind as I only use the SW for downwind or uphill drives and rollers.
I'll try an read the 150 lovers thread and see what I can find out thanks
Challenger-Comet-Roc-Eagle x-Leopard-Predator
Fenrir
Noob

Favorite Disc: z buzzz

Postby JR » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:10 pm

Too light is when the discs become unpredictable in the conditions you face. It is ok to have a touchy disc in calm conditions but not really in the winds. Since driving putters and mids are not meant to go as far as possible max weight is a good idea. Lighter putters for putting for extra float are a good idea with non super understable discs for spin putts at least possibly for push putts as well. Drivers need to go far and at 325' FW you can throw plenty farther with faster discs so it is not absolutely mandatory to push FWs out as far as possible since there are moderate to low fade long drivers as well like the Beast which in the last years has become more HSS being nice even in mid 160s. 400' no flip 410' a couple of degrees of flip for me possibly from wrist roll. I've never put them to 420' without winds straight unless i give them compensatory initial hyzer. There is one point for a FW to be under max weight. Since they are control and placement discs throwing them softly can make some of them too power hungry or hard fading at max weight. Not needing to mash them with a mid 160s for wind tolerant molds and 170 or so for not so beefy discs can be beneficial. Form has a lot of meaning for these shots so results can vary a lot between throwers. Generally the more spin you have the less the weight differences mean.

For distance discs you should also have discs that can take winds at least with minor compensation for hyzer so that if you miscalculate the wind or it changes mid flight you're not off so much sideways. That means that you should also carry a heavy version of the main driver and a 175 Champ/Star/Pro Beast is just fine in a mid 160s and 175 combo at that power for most situations. It takes a lot of wind with a 175 and a couple of degrees of hyzer at your power to make them unpredictable in headwinds. When a 175 straightish driver is not enough to handle headwinds a true wind beater is needed and having your normal disc going well most of the time means you don't have to guess so often when is the time to take the beefy disc out and risk underpowering it leaving it short and way left. Big boy discs that don't work so well at your power at max weight can work well in light weights. Blizzards are so uneven in production that their stabilities vary wildly so weight is not so much of an issue for flippage as is the PLH. At your power in no winds or non headwinds of mild to medium speeds a 130s Wraiths can work. Destros vary and mine is a pig and short at 137 IIRC the weight and others say they have straighter ones. Bosses are nice at 130s and Quasars have insane variations in stability per a mm of PLH height but find a perfect one or tune it and a 130-150 would work great. It does have the power requirement of the Wraith and the same or less fade with the same or better HSS with more speed, glide and well more distance. High PLH domey 166 VIP King is nice too. 161 ESP Nuke can be nice at high power but will not take under powering at all so it may be too much for you.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Equipment