tell me what you think

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: tell me what you think

Postby Fenrir » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:37 pm

So I put my demon into a pond a week ago and I'm thinking about just going rocs and comets for mids and also maybe discing down for a bit and dropping anything wider then a speed 10 or maybe anything faster then eagles
Challenger-Comet-Roc-Eagle x-Leopard-Predator
Fenrir
Noob

Favorite Disc: z buzzz

Postby JR » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:14 pm

150 Valks are nice too in Champ but really you have enough power to throw the longer Beast especially in mid to low 160s. Blizzards are out but i have not tried them out and they one them in 150s. I'm tempted to try them.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Fenrir » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:55 pm

I had the chance to toss a friends PD's all in the mid 160s and they went just a bit farther then my eagle x at 170g so I'm not sure if I should even really be pushing past the speed 7's. I want to try a new run beast and a olf around 165-168g and see what is more workable for me as I'm really starting to want as few molds as possible and I think the eagle x and Leo are the molds for FW unless I go back to the rivers but the plus rim thing got in my head hence the switch back to Leo's. if I wasn't so poor I would just order more discs and try them all lol
Fenrir
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:21 am

Pds are plenty stable in 150 and not that long if not s curved. The beast is much longer than the eagle and the river and the olf is inbetween.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:12 am

Escapes are like a mash-up between an S PD and P PD. You and I have similar distances, and I found you need to really break in an S PD to make it turn a little from flat. I also found P PD's would turn a little from flat, but the recent runs of P PD's have been total junk. So hence why I am so excited about Escapes - it's a premium plastic S PD that's been used for about a year or so. Compliment it with a fresh S PD, or a beat Predator, and you are good for strong headwinds. Just my 2 cents.

Oh and I'll affirm your idea to throw nothing faster than speed 9/10 until you can consistently hit 400'. I did that with Valks about a year ago, if I remember correctly. OLF, Beast, PD, Escape...you can't go wrong if you find the right combo of stability and stages of wear across 1 or 2 molds.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby PMantle » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:16 am

Fightingthetide wrote:Oh and I'll affirm your idea to throw nothing faster than speed 9/10 until you can consistently hit 400'. I did that with Valks about a year ago, if I remember correctly. OLF, Beast, PD, Escape...you can't go wrong if you find the right combo of stability and stages of wear across 1 or 2 molds.

I tried that for a while. It was fun. Here's the only problem. My course has 4 holes that I can park with a tern/renegade/mamba depending on the wind, but I cannot with escape/fury/volt/amp. I go back and forth, and really want to commit to the speed 9 limit, but these holes just make it tough.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Fenrir » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:03 am

I liked the PDs but the sorta plus rim isn't my thing how are the escapes in dif weights and plastics? I really want I get down to one mold for the workhorse driver (eagles) and one for anything longer (olf beast escape).
And destroyers do go far but I'd like to get them out to 450 and that's not gonna happen until I can put eagles out to 350+ so yea I think it's time to disc down and work on snap. I was practicing on a soccer pitch and going goal to just short of goal so I need to google earth how long it was and see where I'm at.
Fenrir
Noob

tell me what you think

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:37 pm

Fenrir wrote:I liked the PDs but the sorta plus rim isn't my thing how are the escapes in dif weights and plastics? I really want I get down to one mold for the workhorse driver (eagles) and one for anything longer (olf beast escape).
And destroyers do go far but I'd like to get them out to 450 and that's not gonna happen until I can put eagles out to 350+ so yea I think it's time to disc down and work on snap. I was practicing on a soccer pitch and going goal to just short of goal so I need to google earth how long it was and see where I'm at.

Escapes are great as a tweener between true fairway drivers and distance drivers, but much like PD's, you can really use them for fairway and distance duties if you really wanted to. PD's have an edge with winds, because even the beefiest Escapes (max weight Hybrids?) aren't going to fight a strong headwind like a fresh PD will. However, my 175 EMac Hybrid Escape will fight a decent wind with some initial hyzer...MUCH better than a Teebird would.

I also love how Escapes hold turnover lines really well. From flat, I can get them to track right and finish straight, carry a turnover and finish right, or pop up from slight hyzer and finish left. Personally, I use them for fairway duties. The glide helps them power down really well. Also, I pair them with a beat first run ESP Predator...which is basically like a seasoned S PD - fights a headwind, but very easy to control for shots where I need a stronger finish.

Oh and I have a fresh, flat Z Predator too.

So....PD's would be your "one disc to rule them all" mold if you can find some beat S-Lines, fresh S-Lines or non-plus C-Lines, and a good CFR C-Line....which IMO isn't easy to do unless you have money to spend and/or know where to look. There are some guys on here that would know.

For me, Predator/Escape is a perfect combo.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fenrir » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:07 pm

Well I already have 2 z preds in the bag on fresh and one beat so that may work for me how is the rim of the escape? And what are the differences in plastics for them?
Also I know it seems like I'm pushing the olf's but one joes flight chart they seem like they would work super well, are they just to close in range to the eagle?
Fenrir
Noob

tell me what you think

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:13 pm

Fenrir wrote:Well I already have 2 z preds in the bag on fresh and one beat so that may work for me how is the rim of the escape? And what are the differences in plastics for them?
Also I know it seems like I'm pushing the olf's but one joes flight chart they seem like they would work super well, are they just to close in range to the eagle?

The Escape's rim isn't a plus mold. I like it. Lucid is like Jolly Launcher if its clear, or like grippier champystar if opaque. They tend to be the least stable with Escapes...but not by much. I would guess Fuzion and BioFuzion would be slightly more stable...but also not by much. Hope that helps.

OLFs are good. They should be longer than Eagles and Teebirds. Compared to OLFs, Escapes should have more glide and less fade, so they should be longer...but also easier to throw shorter, like I said earlier.

So if you have some good Z Preds, and some OLFs you like, stick with them. Or if you find OLFs too short for their speed, try an Escape.

You can't go wrong with Pred/OLF or Pred/Escape. It all depends on how beat your OLFs are and how confident you are with them.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fenrir » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:21 pm

I have 0 of either OLF or Escape I just don't have the money to buy both and shoot out. However I have no problem beating discs in so that part doesn't bother me. I just know I need to back the speed down from the destroyers that I'm hopelessly trying to make work :(
Fenrir
Noob

tell me what you think

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:42 pm

Fenrir wrote:I have 0 of either OLF or Escape I just don't have the money to buy both and shoot out. However I have no problem beating discs in so that part doesn't bother me. I just know I need to back the speed down from the destroyers that I'm hopelessly trying to make work :(

I totally understand.

You have Predators, so keep those in there for very overstable and overstable shots. Pick up a 172+ Lucid Escape and work it in. I have a hunch that it would have less overlap with a beat Pred than an OLF.

That's only one disc to buy. Then you have three discs to work with that technically should cover all of your shots. In the mean time, keep working with your Destroyers. Do they still have their flash on them?

Let me encourage you to NOT intentionally beat up your Destroyers to make them work. Eventually, they should start to work well if you can get them to start turning and fading later...unless you are talking about a domey Destroyer or Destrulcan (Vulcan top...flat top part of the wing).
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fenrir » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:12 pm

Ok will the escapes still work if I get them under 170g because I'm getting away from the heavier stuff and I run my preds at 169 and 167. And I do work with the destroyers I don't think they have flash and its not that the are meat hooks I just want them to go 425-450+ and they don't yet lol
Fenrir
Noob

tell me what you think

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:15 am

Fenrir wrote:Ok will the escapes still work if I get them under 170g because I'm getting away from the heavier stuff and I run my preds at 169 and 167. And I do work with the destroyers I don't think they have flash and its not that the are meat hooks I just want them to go 425-450+ and they don't yet lol

I have only thrown a 172, but I really do think you will be fine with 167-169. I highly doubt they will be much less stable.

Haha, well, keep working with the Destros....450' is my next goal too, and I'm hoping to hit it with either a Trespass or Renegade (DD's rough equivalent of a Destroyer and beat Wraith).
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fenrir » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:00 am

Ok thanks for all the info. I will report back once I get some and try them out
Fenrir
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion