Best turnover disc

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Best turnover disc

Postby LuckyEagle405 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:36 pm

Im trying to pick a new turnover disc. I'm trying to decide between a westside underworld, an innova roadrunner, and a prodigy f7. Right now I using the roadrunner but its a bit to under stable. It flips the way I want it to but tends to turn and burn once it comes down. And a sidewinder isn't quite flippy enough. Any thoughts on this? Is there something I can change in my form to help with the turn and burn of the roadrunner?
Grip it and Rip it
LuckyEagle405
Noob

Favorite Disc: Truth

Best turnover disc

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:42 pm

Try the RR with more initial hyzer to dial in it's turn.

But how far are you wanting this disc to go? And how far to the right (assuming RHBH)? Are you talking about dogleg right turns? Or long turnovers?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Best turnover disc

Postby LuckyEagle405 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Well an example of a hole I'm talking about is about 275 to 300'. Baskets on the right but a lot of trees in the way so I can't throw a straight shot. I throw the roadrunner left of the trees with enough anny to get it to turn enough. But it never flattens back out before if lands. So wen it does it rolls out to the left. I want something that will flatten out a bit sooner. But my sidewinder tends to come back to early. I feel like if I had a slower disc I could still use the same angle of release, but because it would slow down faster, would one of the slower disc go back to flat and sit down?
Grip it and Rip it
LuckyEagle405
Noob

Postby LuckyEagle405 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Not sure that that's the best wording. I feel like the rr isn't flattening out because its to high of a speed to start fadding back in time.
Grip it and Rip it
LuckyEagle405
Noob

Best turnover disc

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:23 pm

At 300', you could try to throw something like a beat Roc to get it to finish slightly to the right. Something like that, or maybe a beat Champ Leopard thrown flat. Basically, a slower disc will fade less and also be easier to control at 300'.

Really, you could get 500 answers on here.

Do you throw forehand?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby LuckyEagle405 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:27 pm

I do but I can't get nearly as much distance throwing forehand as I can with a turnover shot.
Grip it and Rip it
LuckyEagle405
Noob

Postby DiscinFiend » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:40 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:At 300', you could try to throw something like a beat Roc to get it to finish slightly to the right. Something like that, or maybe a beat Champ Leopard thrown flat. Basically, a slower disc will fade less and also be easier to control at 300'.

:thumbup: For shots around 300ft that I want to go right (RHBH) I throw a turnover shot with a beat Roc, or a sidearm with a Teebird. I can throw both sidearm & backhand with decent distance & accuracy but I feel that there is a huge advantage at being proficient in both techniques. I find it easier on holes that have almost a 90 degree turn & go right (dogleg right) to forehand instead of tying to throw a big anny/turnover shot. Also its great when your at a weird angle/getting out of trouble to be have both choices of a forehand or backhand shot especially b/c they both utilize different stances.
Grip A-Series
Destroyer - PD - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Roc - KC Aviar
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep
DiscinFiend
Noob

Favorite Disc: KC Roc

Postby LuckyEagle405 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:21 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. So back to the disc selection, would a slower under stable disc be less likely to turn and burn?
Grip it and Rip it
LuckyEagle405
Noob

Best turnover disc

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:32 pm

LuckyEagle405 wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. So back to the disc selection, would a slower under stable disc be less likely to turn and burn?

It depends on how you throw them. If its too understable, nothing but more initial hyzer will keep that from happening.

The "turn and burn" isn't because the disc is too fast, but because its not stable enough to flatten out. Take your RR to a field and hyzerflip it until it doesn't go past flat (doesn't turn right on RHBH), and then each successive throw start with less and less initial hyzer until you get a feel for how release angles affect flight. Also, keep in mind nose angles.

A great place to read lots of articles is the DGR homepage. Read, practice, and report back.

I still think 300' is too short for a RR, but that's just my opinion. Others might not think so...but I tell you there's nothing more beautiful than throwing a beat Roc 300' on a slight hyzer and watching it slowly turn up to flat and glide out with a slight right finish. It doesn't take much power to do it, just good form.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:56 am

Your power and the spin determines which discs can flex out of the anny for any height and nose angle at any given distance. The cruising speed hss and lss of the disc matter too so there are many variables and answers to people with different power and snap vs speed dominanant form. Max weight star beast might not flex enough at that distance if you have low ceilings or are snap dominant. In which case a surge then wraith or orc might work. And some of those are not turnover any more but anny out of the hand and demanding a lot of spin meaning snap which makes them need room on the left more than a turnover line. Nit simple as you see. I like qols and beasts for different distances. Sure leos and rivers work too at some distances Nd furies are closer to beasts but they are less hss thus not as tolerant to winds.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:06 am

LuckyEagle405 wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. So back to the disc selection, would a slower under stable disc be less likely to turn and burn?
Not really, there are slow discs that have a very snappy turn (D-FD for example) and there are faster discs that have a very smooth turn (S-TD for example). What you probably want is a disc with a smooth turn if you want to keep it from burning, and at that point I'd personally suggest something like a Champ Leopard, S-Line FD, or a River.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby LuckyEagle405 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:23 am

Thanks guys. Ill give the drills a shot before I decide to buy another. I have rocs and Leps I can use for the drills to.
Grip it and Rip it
LuckyEagle405
Noob

Postby money 21 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:01 pm

the flying squirrel from abc discs is a great choice for this shot. I have only thrown the gold not the platnum though.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby logjammin » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:55 pm

I have found that Roadrunners keep their original flight tendencies only when they are almost brand new. 2 or 3 good whacks into a tree and they will turn and burn. and that's with Star or Champion plastic. Have you tried a brand new RR?
logjammin
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cheetah

Postby LuckyEagle405 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:21 am

No actually I traded for the one I have. It's a champ rr. Iv never even thrown a new one
Grip it and Rip it
LuckyEagle405
Noob

Next

Return to Equipment