Utility Mid Question

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Utility Mid Question

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:48 am

All the Champ Gators I've seen have dome, and from what I remember they were still meathooks. Do flat current runs exist? And do they fly much different than those with dome?

I'm looking to compliment my Rocs with one. If anyone has one FSOT, let me know.
Last edited by Fightingthetide on Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Gator Question

Postby Tokyo » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:23 am

I don't think they r flat anywhere these days, and yes the dome ones are nasty over stable still good discs. If u want a discs that's flat and over stable get a discraft zone it's slower and won't fly as far but good feel.
Tokyo
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champ Teebird

Gator Question

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:53 am

It's not that I necessarily need a flat disc, just curious to know if they exist with Gators. Flat usually feels better in the hand with mids.

Are the Innova Factory Store champ glows coming out with the normal dome?

Or is there another equivalent beefy mid I could consider that isn't shorter than a Gator? I would want it for short utility shots and meathooks out to 300' or so.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:31 pm

Have you tried a sentinel? Possibly havoc and pain but i have not thrown normal ones yet only tge wonky first ones. Gators with dome are nice shape wise even for not that long fingers and smaller hands although break in a d zone and it is long and small in the grip.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Utility Mid Question

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:18 pm

Current run of Q Sents sound like a slightly beefier Roc, which isn't what I'm looking for. I love the over stability of a fresh DX Rancho Roc, but I'm looking for an overstable utility mid that will fade sooner and even skip some. I've tried to use Predators for those shots, but their speed makes them harder to gauge on shorter throws.

EDIT - changed OP title to reflect what I'm looking for
Last edited by Fightingthetide on Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby DiscinFiend » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:06 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:It's not that I necessarily need a flat disc, just curious to know if they exist with Gators. Flat usually feels better in the hand with mids.

Or is there another equivalent beefy mid I could consider that isn't shorter than a Gator? I would want it for short utility shots and meathooks out to 300' or so.

I cycle Rocs & have one Champ Gator in my bag for my overstable slot & three backups. I have a two Champion Glows (Innova Factory Store) & two Champion Metal Flake (Tourney Stamped) ones. None of them are flat & I don't believe I've ever seen a flat one. Even with dome the Champ Gators work fine for me (overstable nough for the job) & I'd recommend sticking with them. If you really want to try another mold get a Z Drone, it's slightly more overstable than a Champ Gator but can be used for the same purposes & you can find flat ones.
Grip A-Series
Destroyer - PD - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Roc - KC Aviar
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep
DiscinFiend
Noob

Favorite Disc: KC Roc

Utility Mid Question

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:25 pm

DiscinFiend wrote:
Fightingthetide wrote:It's not that I necessarily need a flat disc, just curious to know if they exist with Gators. Flat usually feels better in the hand with mids.

I cycle Rocs & have one Champ Gator in my bag for my overstable slot & three backups. I have a two Champion Glows (Innova Factory Store) & two Champion Metal Flake (Tourney Stamped) ones. None of them are flat & I don't believe I've ever seen a flat one. Even with dome the Champ Gators work fine for me (overstable nough for the job) & I'd recommend sticking with them. If you really want to try another mold get a Z Drone, it's slightly more overstable than a Champ Gator but can be used for the same purposes & you can find flat ones.

I don't have any mids more stable than my Rocs currently, so this would be a new mold. I'm really looking for a mid that will flex back and finish with fade after starting anhyzer with 275' of power. There's a few flex shots and sharp, short doglegs where I wish I had a disc like this.

Gators seem like a great option still, but Z and Ti Drones are really peaking my interest after scouring forum posts on here and DGCR. Any word on Z vs Ti Drones?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Utility Mid Question

Postby JR » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:06 am

Are sirius sents like they used to be if so that should work? M2 could work as well. Zone and especially drone are too os for thar distance if you pull any power or get a foot of too much height. D zobe after breaking in might fade late enough and get far enough with safety margin. At your power a new d zone needs a perfect shot and it cannot be that high so going over the trees can easily land short.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Utility Mid Question

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:53 am

I have zero experience with Sentinels. Can anyone say whether the current runs of Sirius are much more overstable than a new DX Roc?

Gator keeps looking like a winner - not to OS that I'll get punished for an errant throw like with a Drone or Zone, but able to flex back in low ceilings and fade hard.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:03 pm

Maybe you should ask in the Millennium thread those guys involved with that company are more likely to read in there.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby discspeed » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:06 am

The MVP Tensor lands in the area of what you are looking for. It compliments my other mids very well, and they are fairly representative of your Rocs.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Utility Mid Question

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:13 am

Double post...
Last edited by Fightingthetide on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Utility Mid Question

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:17 am

Yeah, Tensor is another option I've been eyeing.

I realize I need to take this with a grain of salt, but the Inbounds ratings for Tensor, Gator, and MD3 are virtually the same. From what I understand, the MD3 isn't as overstable as the other two, so I probably wont consider it. And from a few reviews I have read, this is what I am gathering:

Compared to a fresh KC Roc:
Tensor = similar diameter, stronger fade, skips more forward than the Gator, better into the wind than a Roc, feels more like a Roc
Gator = narrow diameter, stronger fade, skips further left than the Tensor, better into the wind than a Roc, feels like...a Gator

Does that sound right?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby punch » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:26 am

I have a CFR that I got off ebay. It is as flat as my flat top rhyno, so I think you could still find one. I will post a pic later.
Rhyno - Shark3 - Leopard - Teebird - Mamba
punch
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:50 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:Yeah, Tensor is another option I've been eyeing.

I realize I need to take this with a grain of salt, but the Inbounds ratings for Tensor, Gator, and MD3 are virtually the same. From what I understand, the MD3 isn't as overstable as the other two, so I probably wont consider it. And from a few reviews I have read, this is what I am gathering:

Compared to a fresh KC Roc:
Tensor = similar diameter, stronger fade, skips more forward than the Gator, better into the wind than a Roc, feels more like a Roc
Gator = narrow diameter, stronger fade, skips further left than the Tensor, better into the wind than a Roc, feels like...a Gator

Does that sound right?
At least the C-MD3s I've been testing weren't overstable AT ALL. They flew like the best kind of flat C-MD2s, meaning straight, straigth and then for some straight for good measure.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Next

Return to Equipment