Closed Shoulder Snap vs. 1st drill of Hit Backwards?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Closed Shoulder Snap vs. 1st drill of Hit Backwards?

Postby bsnone1 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:18 am

So I'm wondering what the consensus is between these drills? I finally saw Bradley Walker's video on the closed shoulder snap drill a few days ago and took it out to the field yesterday. With this drill I was getting the line drive throws that I feel like I was supposed to be getting with the Hit Backwards drills. Are these essentially the same or am I just too dense to notice the subtleties?

After tossing about 50 discs with the closed shoulder snap drill, (getting my roc3 out to about 150-160ft from the standstill) I went to my full x-step and had a decent amount of success - accuracy wise more so than distance but I was getting my Eagle L's out about 300-315 which, again for me, is pretty rewarding. I actually feel like the whole set up Bradley goes through is going to fix some flaws in my upshot game - I think this is more repeatable than what I've been doing for those 75ft-150ft shots...
bsnone1
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Re: Closed Shoulder Snap vs. 1st drill of Hit Backwards?

Postby JR » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:21 am

I have no firm opinions about either. I think i had learned before that so i'm not a good yardstick.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby toddglee » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:44 am

I am in my first year of playing and am doing form work, and I can say that I constantly benefit from both. I get a better feel of wrist extension and feel the weight of the disc pulling at my fingers on the Closed Shoulder drill. To me this is a good prerequisite to the right pec drill. The right pec drill gives me a good feel of elbow chop, and how shifting my weight and rotating chops out my elbow while accelerating, followed by the wrist extension. For me personally, the right pec drill never clicked until I did the hammer pound/ closed shoulder drill, and now I have just learned that I can drive pretty well from the right pec, and upshot are very accurate. It think the two drills together give me the entire feeling of the whip.
toddglee
Noob

Favorite Disc: No favorite

Postby rhatton2 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:05 am

Pretty much a question i was formulating myself after stumbling across Brads video last week. I think the two go very well hand in hand. Brads Videos finally got the idea of the disc pivot properly cemented in my head and how easy it is to crank putters and mids out on straight lines to 180' with little or no reachback which puts you straight into the right pec drill and punching the elbow. I've now started to try to incorporate this into the whole working from the hit back idea. Unfortunately at the moment as soon as I start adding anything else to the starting right pec position I'm losing the feeling of weight of the disc and not getting anything else out of it, i'm sure it will come with more practise! It was great though to finally feel the weight of the disc moving and understand what this was all about from Brads drill.

Anyone got any pointers/tips on how they added the step in the hit backwards and still kept that good feeling of power through the hit? i've been out three lunchtimes in a row and not really connected it up at all which is a bit frustrating. i think it's probably a case of my old form getting in the way of a new idea, whilst the discs fly out alright i don;t get that feeling of the weight of the disc as soon as I add any footwork.
rhatton2
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Roc

Postby JHern » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:48 pm

I think they all lead to the same place. Everybody is different, so you need to find the learning technique that works specifically for you...later on you'll have the benefit of hindsight 20-20, and if you're good at teaching you can also think about effective ways to teach and add to the variety of methods already out there.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby niq » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:43 pm

rhatton2 wrote:Anyone got any pointers/tips on how they added the step in the hit backwards and still kept that good feeling of power through the hit? i've been out three lunchtimes in a row and not really connected it up at all which is a bit frustrating. i think it's probably a case of my old form getting in the way of a new idea, whilst the discs fly out alright i don;t get that feeling of the weight of the disc as soon as I add any footwork.

I would try to add 1-step at a time (like in the beto video). Maybe make sure you're not going crazy with your shoulders as well (they should stay very close to 90 degrees just like they are in the closed shoulder drills).
niq
Noob

Postby BrotherDave » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:25 pm

I think the closed shoulder drill more or less fills in the gaps that Beto's drill kind of assumed people already knew.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Return to Technique