The Temple Of ROC!!!!

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Temple Of ROC!!!!

Postby jubuttib » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:06 pm

LuckyEagle405 wrote:I'm sure it's been discussed but the search bar isn't working for me. What difference does the type of plastic make with rocs. I'm about to get my first one and can't pick
Just get a DX, probably the best first Roc for anyone.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:13 pm

My brother has an old San Marino with a big bird stamp in his bag and has no idea that its unique. He also has a 9x KC Aviar as his main putter...go figure. He just started playing, so all these things don't matter to him.

I've thrown this SM next to my seasoned Rancho and can't tell much of a difference other than it has less glide. There is less dome in the SM so I figure that's why. I just thought it would fly a lot less stable than it did. It's pretty seasoned and has no major gashes, just tons of small marks...seasoned beautifully.

What can you guys tell me about it based on these pictures?

Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby tjh0188 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:30 pm

i can tell you i want one!
Pure-VP-Fuse-Mace-River-Saint Pro-Firebird-Flow-Giant
tjh0188
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: River

Postby bjones » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:49 am

WTF did Innova do with all of this Roc stuff? I haven't bought a Roc in 4-5 years and I looked on their website and there are a bunch of Roc versions now. If I wanted a good DX Rancho Roc (like those that that were made from 2003 - 2009 or so, what are my options? Are the new DX Rocs like the ones from then?

I always took Blake's advice that if you like something, buy 20+ of them but I don't have many left. Just seeing what my options are.

Thanks,
Brandon
bjones
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby itlnstln » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:54 am

The DX Roc is still the Rancho mold. In DX, I like the bottom stamps, personally. I feel the plastic wears a little better than the regular, top-stamped version (probably just placebo). Since I play in a rocky area (no pun intended), I switched to the Roc3. I was going through DX Rocs like it was nobody's business.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:56 pm

bjones wrote:WTF did Innova do with all of this Roc stuff? I haven't bought a Roc in 4-5 years and I looked on their website and there are a bunch of Roc versions now. If I wanted a good DX Rancho Roc (like those that that were made from 2003 - 2009 or so, what are my options? Are the new DX Rocs like the ones from then?

I always took Blake's advice that if you like something, buy 20+ of them but I don't have many left. Just seeing what my options are.

Thanks,
Brandon

Brandon, DX Rocs are in the Rancho mold and have a slight plus rim (slanted rim). KC Pro has a straight rim (not plus). Roc 3 is basically a flat-top Roc with the new grippy Champ blend called "Jolly Launcher".

Personally, I love my flat Roc3 - some came with tiny bits of dome, but I found one that's absolutely flat. It doesn't have as much LSS as a new DX Rancho Roc, but it can take more torque. The flight is like a mini Teebird - straight for a good while with a solid fade that isn't too harsh. I pair it with a lightly seasoned DX Rancho (tourney stamp...plastic feels much better) and either a beat KC Pro or beat DX San Marino Roc.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dgdave » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:00 am

In all seriousness, look at Legacy and grab some Ghosts. The Icon and Excel (like star and dx) are out now and next week the Pinnacle (champ like) will be released.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Jones » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:19 pm

I've always liked DX over KC. I do like my rocs to wear in... Gotta have the full spectrum in stability. As of right now all of mine are a mix of DX/KC11X. When new, they always threw pretty similarly.

Do these new Rancho rocs with the slight slanted rim throw any less or more stable than the KC rocs? I may pick one up out of curiosity.

Brandon
-
These new discs are dumb...
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Postby JR » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:39 pm

I've had four different kinds of KCs when i used them some years ago so i don't know how they were in general or were supposed to be grr. One of them did not flip in moderate headwinds others did. I have not thrown plus rimmed Ranchos in DX if they exist. I have not looked at or thrown Rocs lately. Star flips a little. And they vary in dome height so YMMV with those too. I do not like how they change Rocs all the time so i don't use them. Atlas is nice but faster and longer for the same shot. So is Axis and Tangent in Neutron but they are slicker to hold.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Jones » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:58 pm

If I get a chance soon I will grab one and give a report back.
-
These new discs are dumb...
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Jerbob » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:52 pm

Anyone throwing the McPro Roc3? I just ordered a few up just to check em out against the other Rocs. The 12x KC Pros I have are domey and not really all that stable and break in weird. Figured I would give the McPros a try. I have 11x KCs, dx ontarios, 12x KCs, older run dx that are not +mold, special blend ranchos, and the champ Roc3s, just for reference. Thrown the san marinos once or twice and just don't fill a need.
Magic Wizard Roc Gator Eagle Firebird PD Destroyer
Jerbob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:05 pm

Jerbob wrote:Anyone throwing the McPro Roc3? I just ordered a few up just to check em out against the other Rocs. The 12x KC Pros I have are domey and not really all that stable and break in weird. Figured I would give the McPros a try. I have 11x KCs, dx ontarios, 12x KCs, older run dx that are not +mold, special blend ranchos, and the champ Roc3s, just for reference. Thrown the san marinos once or twice and just don't fill a need.

You know they are not bad Rocs at all. They are fast and have similar stability as the KC Pro's.

I prefer just regular Rocs as I like my Rocs on the slower side,but everyone has different tastes.

Was you able to try them out yet?
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby Jerbob » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:14 pm

The McPro Roc3s are all in the 178-180 range and all were flat with no noticeable dome. It was maybe an 85 degree day, so the flight plates were becoming a liitle soft, especially the black discs. I recently remembered that my Roc weight sweet spot is about 175-177 to get about 310-320, so recently solved my short throw problem. Anyway, all the McPro Roc3s were easily as stable or more stable than a couple of unusual 12x KC Pro's I picked up in the last year. The McPros had no high speed turn for me and handled wind well.
Magic Wizard Roc Gator Eagle Firebird PD Destroyer
Jerbob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Postby JR » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:05 am

I have seen the flat ones but there are differently domed ones out there with reportedly the flatter ones acting the most hss. Mine is in the low end of the middle of the pack. Only because the flat ones were already picked up.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to Equipment