Slow Play Drives Me Crazy

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Slow Play Drives Me Crazy

Postby Working Stiff » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:15 pm

They aren't really rude, it's just the way it is. Somebody has to be the reason the round is taking too long.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby PMantle » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:54 am

Working Stiff wrote:Hi. I'm a fast guy.
A few things:

1) I'm 46. Both of my shoulders are shot. I have a desk job and sit on my ass 50 hours a week. I'm not in very good shape.
2) I'm married with one kids and a mortgage. I finance that with the before-mentioned sit on my ass job. There is no wing night at the bar waiting for me, I've got nowhere to go that is going to make me in an any sort of hurry.

3) The experience is an escape from the day to day life, and the experience is more than just the golf. I might get distracted by the birds or how much water is in the creek because I'm looking around enjoying the park. I'm just not that focused on the golf.

Modified for me. :mrgreen:
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Dwiggy444 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:04 pm

I've been criticized of slow play before (sometimes in a friendly manner and sometimes via angry stares and sometimes via people throwing into me to try to forcibly play through). I've listened to this "feeback" and I've tried to do better. But I'm on the disc golf course to have fun (even when I'm playing in a tournament) and I want to play well, so I don't think it's in my best interests to rush myself. There will always be people that play faster than me, for a variety of reasons:

- Some players are carrying only one disc (often with a beer in the other hand), so there isn't a lot of thought involved.
- Some players have played the course more often than me, so they've thrown every shot on the course more often than me. It doesn't take that long to plan your shot when you've thrown it 100 times before.
- Some players are just faster moving or faster thinking.

I believe it is everyone's responsibility to be courteous to others on the course. And that courtesy goes both ways. I think we all have to realize that there are a variety of different types of players sharing the course with us and just learn to be graceful with each other. If someone is in a hurry, I let them play through or speed up my pace to accomodate them. And if you are playing with me or around me and I'm playing too slow for you, I hope you will either ask me nicely to play faster or stop, take a breath and adjust your expectations.
Dwiggy444
Noob

Postby itlnstln » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:26 pm

Dwiggy444 wrote:I've been criticized of slow play before (sometimes in a friendly manner and sometimes via angry stares and sometimes via people throwing into me to try to forcibly play through). I've listened to this "feeback" and I've tried to do better. But I'm on the disc golf course to have fun (even when I'm playing in a tournament) and I want to play well, so I don't think it's in my best interests to rush myself. There will always be people that play faster than me, for a variety of reasons:

- Some players are carrying only one disc (often with a beer in the other hand), so there isn't a lot of thought involved.
- Some players have played the course more often than me, so they've thrown every shot on the course more often than me. It doesn't take that long to plan your shot when you've thrown it 100 times before.
- Some players are just faster moving or faster thinking.

I believe it is everyone's responsibility to be courteous to others on the course. And that courtesy goes both ways. I think we all have to realize that there are a variety of different types of players sharing the course with us and just learn to be graceful with each other. If someone is in a hurry, I let them play through or speed up my pace to accomodate them. And if you are playing with me or around me and I'm playing too slow for you, I hope you will either ask me nicely to play faster or stop, take a breath and adjust your expectations.

I think what you are describing is typical, thoughtful golf which I think would describe most of us here. What Mark was talking about is people that take an inordinate amount of time setting up for shots (over-analyzing), people forgetting/not knowing where they are in the box order, and general lollygagging and laziness. There's no reason to rush, but at some point, you need to be mentally engaged in the round and ready to play.

Just as frustrating *are* the one-discers with a beer in their hand blazing through the course. They're generally discourteous, obnoxious, and give the rest of us a bad name. Don't get me wrong, enjoying a beer during a round is not a bad thing, but these guys are typically on a whole different level.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby BLURR » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:31 am

Were you playing with Geoff Bennette? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Watching that guy putt sends me into a fit of rage and makes me want to gouge out my eye balls.

Monocacy wrote:I played a tournament with a guy that had an incredibly elaborate and drawn-out series of tics that he went through before each and every putt. After a few holes I could no longer watch, it made me too agitated.

A spectator joined our group, watched the guy go through his routine before missing a 20-footer, and commented under his breath "Could have achieved that result in a lot less time."

I had to feign a coughing fit.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby PMantle » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:34 am

I have to fast forward through Nikko's putts.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby BLURR » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:13 pm

42 second mark....
and
2:53 mark
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Flipflat » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:42 am

^^^^^LOL, at 2:53 it looks like he's going to hop away
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Monocacy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:59 am

BLURR wrote:Were you playing with Geoff Bennette? :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: No, I wish I played at that level. Geoff is actually a helluva putter, from what I've seen on youtube. But, yeah. :roll:
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:46 am

Omg. I played a round recently in a 7-some with 2 dogs. Omg, it was painfully, stupidly slow.

Why did I agree to this situation? I sent out a stack of texts to friends inviting them to a game. A few minutes after the appointed time I checked my phone, saw that no one else claimed to be on the way. We had 6 players, one who had a dog. So we chose doubles teams and headed off as a group. On hole #2 another invited guy joined us and he also had a dog. He played along, not part of the bet. So the situation developed this way, not of my choosing.

The dogs only wanted to play with each other and paid no attention to the humans, of course getting in our way constantly. One dog owner spent all his time (when not throwing) trying to control the dogs, multiplying the distractions. It was terrible.

As dusk settled in, the mosquitoes came out. I waited in the sweltering heat, mosquito bait, as the round from hell lingered on. The last couple holes could not come soon enough but a couple lost discs extended the misery. I know I have poor patience. If I could just convince myself not to care it would be so much easier. How do you convince yourself not to care yet still try to play well in a competitive round?
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby iacas » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:06 pm

I played a mob group of 14 once on a private five-acre 18-hole (yes) course after playing 42 holes at two other courses earlier in the day.

My own personal hell, in a way. To others it was the "highlight of the trip" but it wasn't something I particularly enjoyed at all. Took at least three hours even though it was doubles.
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby money 21 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:38 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:Omg. I played a round recently in a 7-some with 2 dogs. Omg, it was painfully, stupidly slow.

Why did I agree to this situation? I sent out a stack of texts to friends inviting them to a game. A few minutes after the appointed time I checked my phone, saw that no one else claimed to be on the way. We had 6 players, one who had a dog. So we chose doubles teams and headed off as a group. On hole #2 another invited guy joined us and he also had a dog. He played along, not part of the bet. So the situation developed this way, not of my choosing.

The dogs only wanted to play with each other and paid no attention to the humans, of course getting in our way constantly. One dog owner spent all his time (when not throwing) trying to control the dogs, multiplying the distractions. It was terrible.

As dusk settled in, the mosquitoes came out. I waited in the sweltering heat, mosquito bait, as the round from hell lingered on. The last couple holes could not come soon enough but a couple lost discs extended the misery. I know I have poor patience. If I could just convince myself not to care it would be so much easier. How do you convince yourself not to care yet still try to play well in a competitive round?

I look at rounds like this as mental challenges. if i can consitrate and focus through those nothing in a tourney will phase me.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, sharp shooter #2, trak, ascent, seacert weapon, vulture, unlace, lace, olace, solace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Cryu » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:36 pm

I've never seen a player take one minute to throw so I can only imagine you peoples frustration.
But faster is not better, I feel it's better to take your time to produce a good throw rather than go at it hastily.
I know this one dude who I play with from time to time who really doesn't seem to think about his throws at all,
he just steps up on the tee and throws it and most of the time the throws are just awful.
Cryu
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Leopard

Previous

Return to General Discussion