My Red GRIP Bag.

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My Red GRIP Bag.

Postby Pollution » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:49 am

This is my second summer/year. Mostly throw RHBH Forehand isn't my thing but I should really practice that. Our town started a league this year and should be growing for next year. You will see alot of aviars. I will throw all those in my old bag and practice my putting. I have 0 aces but hit the chains 9 times and it just doesn't want to fall in. I usually play 2 times a week if not more. My town has 4 courses. One course is really hard, lots of trees, and tall grass if you go off course, it needs a straight flying discs. The other courses are pretty fun to play at though. I've noticed other people having multiples of discs like my aviars. I just haven't quite decided which ones I really like. If I would pick now, I would choose a Star Boss, Star Wraith, and maybe a TI Buzzz (had one of these but I traded it because the trade was worth it lol), or another Shark3. At least then I'll have 2 of the same discs to throw the "same". Next year might be the year when I buy doubles.

Stable Control Drivers
1) Champion Leopard 175

Distance Drivers
2) Champion Monarch 173 thumber/tomahawk
3) Star Sidewinder 175 Haven't played with this one much I just got it.
4) Glo Valkyrie 175

Moderately Overstable Driver
5) Champion Xcaliber
6) Champion Boss 168
7) Pro Wraith 175
8 Blizzard Champion Dominator
9) Pro Starfire 168

These discs are the ones I throw the most.

Very Overstable Driver
10) Z Nuke-OS 174

Mids:
11) Champion Shark3 172 Pretty much a straight shot with a little turn at the end
12) Champion Mako3 180 as straight as it gets
13) Z Buzzz 171
14) Z Zombee 171
15) Champion Gator 167 really overstable

Putters:
16) Star Aviar 168
17) Star Aviar 175
18) DX Aviar 167
19) Yeti Pro Aviar 175
20) Birdie 171

I'm most likely going to get a TeeBird>Eagle or maybe both. Those will be replacing one of the Aviars spot.

Discs I have that are in my girlfriends bag. (all my discs and my old bag)

Drivers:
Pro Destroyer 167
Champion Beast I might have to put this one back in my bag though.
Champion Orc 172

Mid-Range:
Champion Roc3
DX Kite 156
DX Stingray 175

Putters:
DX Aviar 150
DX Aviar 175
Champion Rhyno 175
DX Dart 175

Now discs That aren't in any of the bags.

Glo Aviar 175
DX Polecat169
Omega Supersoft
DX Cobra 169
DX Cobra 164
DX Dragon
DX Beast
Elite X Tracker

At the end of this if I had to pick 5 discs they would be:
1. Boss
2. Starfire
3. Zombee
4. Shark3
5. Aviar
Boss/Wraith/Starfire/Shark3/Buzzz/Aviar
Pollution
Noob

Re: My Red GRIP Bag.

Postby JR » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:12 am

You should try that five mold bag. Beast is great and so is the coyote for straight shots but a good stalker is better than the leo shorter with more power requirement and more hss and a little more lss by a hair.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Pollution » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:20 pm

I did pick up a TeeBird and Aviar Driver, haven't thrown with it yet. but there is one disc that I am missing. I need an understable/really understable disc that will turn right. After I get that one then I'll be trying to get a 5 mold bag for next year. Next year is the year I will try and start joining tournaments. My putting has gotten alot better since I have all Aviars to throw now. I can only imagine how I would throw if I had more drivers the same.
Pollution
Noob

Postby DiscinFiend » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:54 pm

I'd say drop the Shark3, drop either the Xcal or Nuke & either drop the Starfire or Wraith. I think you need to lower the # of molds you carry by a lot. I also think you have to may putters, you need to choose just one mold to putt with & one or two other putters to drive/approach with. Also I think that all putter should always be max weigh b/c they are less affected by the wind. I'd say use the Aviar Driver you got recently as you driving putter. I see a big gap between your Mids & distance drivers. I'd say lower the number of Distance Drivers you carry & get a few Fairway Drivers (the Teebird you got should be a great addition). Also how far do you throw?
Grip A-Series
Destroyer - PD - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Roc - KC Aviar
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep
DiscinFiend
Noob

Favorite Disc: KC Roc

Postby Pollution » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Yeah I kind of got caught just buying a bunch of discs. I'll most likely drop the Nuke. The max weight on the putters makes sense. I'll be grabbing the max weight putters out of my girlfriends bag. lol. Why would you drop the Shark3? I throw that one more over my buzzz. I usually throw the shark first then the buzzz during practice. Guess I will be having to decide which ones I really like over the others the next few weeks I play and take them out.

I think I can throw 320ish maybe a little bit further but I'll check next time I go out to get a better idea. Mostly with my Boss, Wraith, or Xcal.

Just so I get this right? Your suggesting 3 drivers, 2 fairways, 2 mids, and 1 putter? Like 2-3 of each disc?

Thanks for the help.

Also is there a website on how to throw/play the wind? Innova has the definitions. I'm also trying to get my vocab up to par, no pun intended.
Pollution
Noob

Postby itlnstln » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:35 am

As others have mentioned, you may have too many molds. The detriment being trying to truly know each disc as well not controlling for wear well. As a contrast, and probably far from perfect, here is my bag:

Putters:
2x Champion Classic Roc - 175 g. (I may swap out occasionally with Yeti Pro Aviars, but I have problems releasing Aviars on drives and approaches, so the lower-profile Classic Roc works better, generally)

Mids:
4x Champion Roc3 - 180 g.

Fairway Drivers:
2x Champion Leopard - 175 g. (Just added these a few months ago - a truly amazing disc. Best thing I've done with my bag in a while)
2x Champion Teebird - 175 g.
2x Champion Firebird - 175 g. (I use one for FH rollers, Thumbers, etc. The other is for regular drives)
1x Champion Roadrunner - 175 g. (Strictly BH rollers)

Distance Drivers:
3x Echo Star Destroyer - 175 g.
2x Champion Dominator - 175 g. (I want to swap these out for Terns. The Dominator can be a bit squirrelly at times. At best, they have good turn but almost no fade.)

The reason for multiples, in my case, is that the TX Hill Country is pretty rocky, so discs wear quickly where I play. I keep several discs of the same mold to account for flight changes due to wear. That also allows me to stay familiar with fewer molds but have (subtly) different flight patterns similar to having multiple molds.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Pollution » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:42 pm

The discs are in order I use the most.

Distance:
Champion Boss 168
Pro Wraith 175
Champion Xcaliber
Pro Starfire 168
Blizzard Champion Dominator (letting this one go when I get Boss or Wraith)
Champion Monarch 173 (my thumber disc, might let this go if one of the above will work for a thumber?)

If I get rid of my Monarch for a Starfire, Boss, or Wraith for my new thumber which one would you recommend, or just keep it?

Fairway:
Star TL 175 (love this disc!)
Champion TeeBird 175
Champion Leopard 175 (getting rid of this or the Valk for a TL or TeeBird)
Glow Champion Valkyarie 175 (Distance)
Star Sidewinder 175 (getting rid of once I get another TL)

Mid-Range:
Champion Shark3 175
Z Buzzz 171
Champion Mako3 180
Buzzz Ti 172
Z Zombee 171 (getting rid of this for a Buzzz SS or Mako3 or Shark3, just don't like it as much as the other ones)

Putters:
Star Aviar 167
Star Aviar 175 (every now and then I switch it out for a DX Aviar 175)
"Yeti Pro" Aviar 175
Star Aviar Driver 175

All in all I think my bag is coming nicely. The one thing I think I am still missing is an understable disc. I need one that will stay to the right and not turn back to the left. My forehand throwing sucks, so most of my shots are backhand.

They're 4 courses (2 18s & 2 9s) in town and 1 of them is lots of trees. 2 of them have water hazards, other than that the discs don't get beat too bad unless I hit the trees that shouldn't be hit. :lol:
Pollution
Noob

Postby Pollution » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:20 pm

Well shortly after this I went and played a few holes before it got dark out. and sure enough I FINALLY got my first ace with my TeeBird 171 ft. I've hit the chains 8 times but this time I hit the right spot and it stayed in the basket. I am stoked!
Pollution
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:30 pm

You should be able to get the TL to stay annied or you have too little power for many of those distance drivers. You have so many drivers that they overlap and you risk picking up a false one for any given shot.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Pollution » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:49 pm

JR wrote:You should be able to get the TL to stay annied or you have too little power for many of those distance drivers. You have so many drivers that they overlap and you risk picking up a false one for any given shot.

I am working on lowering the molds. I'll be picking up another TeeBird and TL within a week. Then my distance drivers will be next. I usually throw my Boss first, Xcal, and then my wraith. I have been using my TeeBird and TL alot this week and usually threw the Boss for anything over 275. I think my range is 330ish give or take 10. I just bought a tiny notebook to keep notes for my discs distances. So another week or so I'll post again with my findings. This is more or less my blog so I don't have paper everywhere. But I will try the TL for the annie shots and see how that goes for me.
Pollution
Noob

Postby ferretdance03 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:33 am

Pollution wrote:The one thing I think I am still missing is an understable disc. I need one that will stay to the right and not turn back to the left. My forehand throwing sucks, so most of my shots are backhand.

All of these discs should fit the bill of "stay to the right and not turn back to the left" for a RHBH throw provided you are getting them up to speed.

Pollution wrote:Champion Monarch 173
Star TL 175
Champion Leopard 175
Glow Champion Valkyarie 175
Star Sidewinder 175
Champion Mako3 180
Star Aviar 167

Pollution wrote:Champion Monarch 173 (my thumber disc, might let this go if one of the above will work for a thumber?)
I myself prefer to not have a thumber specific disc so I use something that I carry for other reasons. I typically thumb with a Firebird for open distance and predictability and also with a Roadrunner for real quick turning thumbers. If you're looking to drop a disc I suggest going to a field and throwing thumbers with everything in your bag and seeing what gives you the results you want.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby JR » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:54 pm

Good advice about the thumbers. Champ teebirds are nice for especially sub 200' thumbers.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Pollution » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:24 pm

Order they get used the most

Distance:
Champion Boss 168
Champion Boss 173 replaced Champion Monarch 173
Champion Boss 175
Champion Xcaliber
Pro Wraith 175 (This or Starfire will be only )
Pro Starfire 168

Fairway:
12x Ken Climo Champion TeeBird 175 (first ace)
12x Ken Climo Champion TeeBird 175
Star TeeBird 172
Star TL 175
Star TL 170

Mid-Range:
Z Buzzz 171
Z Glo Buzzz 174
Z Buzzz SS 174
Champion Shark3 172
Buzzz Ti 172
Champion Mako3 180

Putters:
"Yeti Pro" Aviar 175 (really would like to find another Yeti) I just seem to make more putts with this one.
Star Aviar 175
Star Aviar Driver 175

As for them going to the right, maybe I need more practice we really don't have that many shots for that throw on any of the 4 courses in town. As for the thumbers, you're probably right. I just need to throw them all thumbers and then get the one that I like and then it can be my thumber/back up disc if one of them gets lost. I've only lost 2 for almost 2 years of discing so 1 a year is pretty good I guess (one to a water hazard and the other in a tree and I didn't have a baseball or a ladder as it was 7 miles out of town) I should be good on discs till October. I am done with the putters, however I really like the Yeti Pro but have a hard time finding it. I am done with the fairways, too. The mid ranges most likely will be all Buzzz's but not sure yet and the Distance drivers I am going to have to decide what I am going to do. Maybe I'll try the destroyer out again maybe I need a different weight. Time will tell though. TL for annies and TeeBird for thumbers? I'll have to give those a try. Never really tried any other discs for a thumber.

Thanks for the replies and tips it is much appreciated.

MY GLOW BAG:
Glow Champion Boss
Glow Champion Valk
Glow Buzzz
Glow Aviar

Haven't gone in the dark yet but next time the group around here goes I'll be able to go with now.
Pollution
Noob

Postby Pollution » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:54 am

As of right now this is how my bag sits:

Distance
173 Champ Boss (most thrown)
175 Champ Boss
168 Champ Boss (could prolly take this one out. I like the heavier ones better)

these 3 are just in there
175 Star Sidewinder (my S shots)
Champ Starfire
167 Pro Destroyer

Debating on making the switch to destroyers this year I have back ups to practice more with so well see how it goes this year

Fairway
175 12x TeeBird (my ace disc, I use 2nd most)
175 12x TeeBird dyed
172 Star TeeBird
175 Star TL (I use this one if my TeeBird "fit right"
170 Star TL

I'm debating on making the switch from Buzz's to Roc's but I think I'm slowly but surely throwing the roc over the buzzz now.

Mid-Range
172 Champ Shark3
171 Z Buzzz
180 Roc3 (stamp says R3) Dx?
172 Ti Buzzz
174 Z Buzzz SS

Putters
175 McPro Aviar Back to Back Worlds Red (somedays the red one is the winner but others the yellow is. I say color matters lol)
175 McPro Aviar 1132 rating Yellow

175 Yeti Pro Aviar (once in a while i switch out a mcpro for this)
175 Aviar (getting replaced by another Yeti)

I just ordered 2 more Yeti Pro's so the regular aviar will get replaced and that might be good or might get rid of a buzzz to make one of the yeti's a midrange/driver

That is what my bag looks like at the end of the year. My putting has been getting better since I have about 10 or more regular aviars. So putting practice I get alot of throws in. I'll most likely be joining the PDGA soon to get my "discount" on the tournaments I'll be planning on attending alot this summer. All in all hopefully the snow melts early and we all can get out there and throw.
Pollution
Noob

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion