Innova Atlas

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Innova Atlas

Postby JHern » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:22 am

money 21 wrote:i picked one of these up the other day and honestly i am not sure what i think of it. the one i got is 174 gray center red rim. the glide sucks but the accurracy is good. in other words it holds the line you put is on but only seem to get putter like distances. i really like it for up shots ine the 150'-200' distances. going to spend more time with the disc as i don't have any tourneys for a while.

Thanks for actually posting about how it flies! So, a glideless neutral (=prefectly stable) disc? Indeed, probably quite good for upshots, ranging, etc.. Actually, it may have better glide in Japan legal weights, if I see one around I'll buy it and throw it.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby money 21 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:59 am

fade is very minimal. about the same as a mako.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby JR » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:19 pm

JHern wrote:
money 21 wrote:i picked one of these up the other day and honestly i am not sure what i think of it. the one i got is 174 gray center red rim. the glide sucks but the accurracy is good. in other words it holds the line you put is on but only seem to get putter like distances. i really like it for up shots ine the 150'-200' distances. going to spend more time with the disc as i don't have any tourneys for a while.

Thanks for actually posting about how it flies! So, a glideless neutral (=prefectly stable) disc? Indeed, probably quite good for upshots, ranging, etc.. Actually, it may have better glide in Japan legal weights, if I see one around I'll buy it and throw it.

IDK if the European Open stamped disc flies the same as regular ones do this was the first release of the disc. I posted some on the previous page about the flight and it is different to what money describes at my power. It does have glide and it is a faster longer Roc no flip some fade like a DX Rancho Roc that has had the first stage of LSS broken out of it so Makoish fade sounds right. More HSS definitely than the Mako. A damn fine straight mid better than the Coyote thanks to not flipping at my full power but slower so different roles a little. Powered down the Coyote does not flip and flies to around the same distance without wind and powered up the Coyote flips and goes farther making reaching longer holes possible but ranging shorter holes harder with no real wind handling unlike the Atlas. So a longer Roc is what i would call it. Buzz kill anyone? Now if the regular ones are like mine then it is a matter of being able to handle the slickness of the center of the disc. There the Buzz comes in a variety of plastics including the tacky FLX. Sure Z and Ti Buzzes fade harder than the Atlas i have and ESP, X and D tend to have dome and flip a little unlike the Atlas so it is not a perfect replacement but i don't even use the softer Buzzes anyway. If you were to substitute the Z Buzz flat top with the Atlas you would mostly get the same results flight wise and on most holes.

In good weather this might be the finest mid Innova has ever produced. Grip can be an issue though. It is semi plus in the rim but it is a tacky rim helping with the fingers under the disc but if you put the thumb on the tacky outer material you are likely to get slips because the thumb is so close to the outer edge of the disc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby money 21 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:26 pm

i think that jr and i (except for the glide) are describing the same flight. i threw the disc next to a super sting ray and a mako3 and i would say it is more stable then a super sting ray. similar to the mako 3 but not quite as long. very stable with little fade.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:46 pm

Good to know thanks. The glide changes with speed and the most notable changes in glide behavior with added speed i have observed in my power progression are Spider and rhyno. They started as bricks for me and now they have carry. So the Atlas thrown at 400' warp speeder distance has glide.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jubuttib » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:18 pm

The blue-pink Japan Open one I got flies more or less like a perfectly seasoned flat C-MD2, holds whatever angle you give it for ridiculously long, is the same speed and also glides quite well, at least for me. The wing seems very reminiscent of the MD2, so I'm not surprised.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby money 21 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:40 pm

I may have gotten a dud because one of my friends who has 450' power was throwing mine today and he noticed the lack of glide as well. he throws alot of mvp and really liked the atlas (once he figured out to hold between the nubs on the bottom). He found it easy to range and put some shots out about 350 that were dead straight from leaving the hand to hitting the ground.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:30 pm

I threw my bud's Atlas again before my last Sunday bag tag round during warm up. I had just thrown my QMSs, my Z Buzzz, and asked to give his Atlas another shot. I felt I got a good contolled rip on it with my x-step and would have expected it to fly just short of 300' like my other mids but instead it took a stable straight line just over 260-270'. I'd say lack of glide killed my distance... just one throw, but it felt good upon release flew dead straight with NO fade but would have gone further had it been my max Z buzzz or QMS.

Also, I've thrown the super stingray and really like that disc. It had a decent dome with a lot of glide and the flight path greatly reminded me of my flatter ce QMSs. My buddy, who only throws a little further than me, can easily get it as far as I like to throw my fairway drivers but on a higher line. If I wasn't so heavily invested in the QMS, I'd put a super stingray in the bag for stable/neutral/go straight whatever you want to call it flight, great disc.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby DiscinFiend » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:45 pm

I've had a max weight Atlas for a little more than a month. It has decent glide but it definitely has more glide & speed than a putter (unlike what was previously stated). It holds any line I put on it & has only a little fade on shorter shots. At full power thrown flat it will go dead straight then it still has a slight fade but more of a forward fade. For reference on a good rip I can get it 350' but I only got it to check it out (it was Innova's first attempt at an over-mold). I like that it's flat topped & I've yet to see one that isn't. I dislike having to readjust my hand every time before I throw it though because of the injection points but it really isn't that big of a deal. I highly doubt it will stay in my bag, I get more distance, feel more constant & I'm more comfortable with my Rocs.
Grip A-Series
Destroyer - PD - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Roc - KC Aviar
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep
DiscinFiend
Noob

Favorite Disc: KC Roc

Postby JR » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:42 pm

Mine is flat glides ok less than super stingray and king cobra but more like a roc and fast being longer than the roc. When one speaks of long flight with mids they need height almost like putters. The atlas will drop short thrown low but so does the roc and the buzz. 10' is on the low side as an apex height. 13-20' is more like it with the atlas and roc for that matter.

New discs like the warship have changed what glide means. Rocs do not glide in comparison. Ymmv and reference eiscs mean people might easily talk of apples and oranges. Not just becase of power and height. I am at sea level and peopme at altitude see less glide with everything so the difference between kites and other supet gliding discs vs normal ones gets magnified so ymmv indeed.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Monocacy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:40 am

How does Atlas compare with Tangent in terms of glide, stability, and distance? I found the Tangent to be excellent for short drives and approaches in the woods, but unfortunately the Tangent not much longer than my putters.

On a recent trip to Oregon one of my playing partners was throwing beautiful clean hyzer lines with the Atlas.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby money 21 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:13 pm

more stable then a tangent. not any longer. Also picked up a metal flake cfr atlas and it has the same hss but more lss.

what part of oregon?
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:45 am

Innova often makes tournament fundraisers better than regular discs so that may account for differences. Mine is longer than putters. Pretty identical to the tangent but i haven't thrown them on a field with known distance markers to say anything exact except for mids they are long but not the longest.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Monocacy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:11 am

money 21 wrote:more stable then a tangent. not any longer. Also picked up a metal flake cfr atlas and it has the same hss but more lss.

Thanks, I appreciate the flight info (and JR, thank you, too).

money 21 wrote:what part of oregon?

We hiked around Silver Falls and drove out to the coast. The trip was mostly about seeing family, but fortunately several family members play DG so we squeezed in a couple rounds at Bryant Park and one at Wilder DGC in Newport. I hope to play some of the Portland-area courses next time we are out that way.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby money 21 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:05 am

I live in the columbia gorge east of portland and there several solid courses along the gorge so let me know the next time you are out and maybe we can met for a round.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment