FTT's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: FTT's Bag

Postby JR » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:19 am

C PD would be great for winds and more overstability with the least amount of versatility. Beast is longer and more versatile than a new P PD which is better in the wind. Break in a P PD (fairly quick) and it gets closer to the Beast but shorter.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

FTT's Bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:42 am

Unless I could find a good P PD, I'll pass on them. Even then, a TD would probably be better. From what I remember they fight wind decently well...or at least the stable versions. My Beasts hate anything but a tailwind.

Beasts rivaled my Wraiths for distance because of their glide. That's not what I want for that slot in my bag, so something a little shorter and better into the wind would be perfect. So I guess add TD to that list.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:23 pm

The good stiffer S TDs fit the bill because they are more LSS and HSS than the Beast but also shorter with more power requirement. And the STD is longer than the P PD and they don't last nearly as long because the newer ones flip a little when new at high power into headwinds and they break in quick to not handle the winds much at all there a straight STD is clearly superior. Beasts react a lot to nose angle and they can take moderate headwinds with initial hyzer when the front and rear of the disc are at the same height but in calm they'll flip a lot if the front is pushed down.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:01 pm

Had a little back-and-forth with Dave on his bag thread and thought Escapes would be worth a shot for the in-between slot instead of PD's and TD's. I picked up a really nice looking 172 Lucid Escape. I'll run it through it's paces soon. If it turns out to be what I am expecting, I'll pick up a Bio Escape.

I also picked up a flat 175 Z Force :D

So maybe: Force - Trespass / Escape / Teebird - Predator / Roc / Rhyno - Pure
Not there yet, but building in that direction.

Question - do the Z Predators that have mild dome (mostly on the shoulder) fly well enough to be used in the very overstable slot? I have zero experience with Predators.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:14 pm

Yes at least if you don't put max power in it in which case it would be better left for the Force.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

FTT's Bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:46 am

That's the plan.

Z Force is in. Thrown hard and flat into a headwind and it bombs like a fresh 11x Teebird on nitrous. Escapes are in to bridge between Teebirds and distance drivers.

The Crank has me intrigued along with the Trespass for the max and controlled distance slot. I'm hoping to get one mold for that.

Force - ? - Escape - Teebird - Predator
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:01 pm

A little preseason football testing

Z Force
Lucid Trespass x2

Predator x2 - Z and First Run ESP
Escape x2 - Hybrid (EMac) and Lucid

Roc x 4 - Roc3, KC, DX Rancho and Sanny

Champ Rhyno
Classic Judge x2

Force and Trespass seem like a good combo. Excited to test them out next to each other.
Trying out Predators in place of Firebirds. Picked up a sweeet bright magenta tourney stamped Z Pred that's pretty flat and I have a seasoned first run ESP on the way.
The Escape really surprised me and I'm seeing if I can go without Teebirds...we shall see.
Rocs are good as always.
Judges are in because Pures were too soft and Judges are better all around for drives.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby DiscinFiend » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:A little preseason football testing

Z Force
Lucid Trespass x2

Predator x2 - Z and First Run ESP
Escape x2 - Hybrid (EMac) and Lucid

Roc x 4 - Roc3, KC, DX Rancho and Sanny

Champ Rhyno
Classic Judge x2

Do you throw your Classic Judges? If you do I'd recommended just using them for putting (one as you main putter & the other just for pre-round putting practice & upshots). IMO you should get another Judge just for driving with.
Grip A-Series
Destroyer - PD - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Roc - KC Aviar
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep
DiscinFiend
Noob

Favorite Disc: KC Roc

FTT's Bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:49 am

I throw one and putt with the other. I still need to get my hands on a few more for putting practice / rotation.

And I'll probably throw in 2 Teebirds depending on the wind, course, and how these new drivers fly.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:11 am

In honor of the Carolina Panthers beating the Ravens only with their defense and special teams. Who does that?

But for real, this is working well. 6 molds, plus 2 for really windy days. Not sure how the Roc3 will handle strong headwinds, so I could see possibly adding an overstable mid in the future.

Max distance is 425ish, fairways up to 375' or so, mids in the ballpark of 325', and putters up to 250' or 275' if I'm feeling good.

175 Lucid Trespass - overstable
173 Lucid Trespass - stable control
174 Hybrid Renegade - understable

175 Z Predator - utility
174 FR ESP Predator - overstable
175 Hybrid Escape - stable control
172 Lucid Escape - understable

177 Roc3 - overstable
178 DX Rancho Roc - stable
179 DX Sanny Roc - neutral
178 KC Pro Roc - understable

175 Classic Soft Judge - drives and upshots
174 Classic Hard Judge - drives and skip shots
174 Classic Hard Judge - chains

*175 Z Force - used in place of the 175 Lucid Trespass when the wind is strong
*174 Champ Rhyno - used in place of the Soft Judge when the wind is strong
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:42 pm

I lost a pink gummy C MD2 about a year ago and it found it's way back to me. It's an incredible disc. I lost it when it was stable, but now it's slightly understable. Forgot how much I loved MD2's. Now I'm testing them out in place of Rocs. Picked up a Jolly Launcher C-Line and a Christmas P-Line. Stoked! I think these will stay for sure since they are more forgiving and longer.

The Judge is great for putts, and I'll probably stick with it, but eventually I want to try out a Fuzion Judge to get a stable driving putter. The Classics break in quick to understable. I threw one ~330 downhill today with a light tailwind and it popped up from hyzer and kept turning over slowly, all the way to the ground. I love them for uphill shots and turnovers though.

Everything else is just really working for me right now.

Two discs will come out depending on the course and conditions.

175 Z Force - flat and fast
175 Lucid Trespass - overstable for now
173 Lucid Trespass - stable control...LOVE this
174 Hybrid Renegade - turn and fade, beat Wraith out of the box

175 Z Predator - utility
174 FR ESP Predator - beat, stable control, still fights wind
175 EMac Hybrid Escape - same as the Lucid, backup for now
172 Lucid Escape - understable

173 MF Champ Gator - BEEF
177 C MD2 - Jolly Launcher
178 C MD2 - beat, pink gummy
174 P MD2 - Innova Christmas disc

174 Champ Rhyno - soft, flat, and amazing
175 Classic Soft Judge - sticky
174 Classic Hard Judge - understable drives
174 Classic Hard Judge - chains
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:50 pm

After loving the soft judge when new for drives and the quick breaking into understable i was looking forward to trying the hard judge. I need to wait for the harder plastic then.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:13 pm

JR wrote:After loving the soft judge when new for drives and the quick breaking into understable i was looking forward to trying the hard judge. I need to wait for the harder plastic then.

I think Judges are Pures with a small bead, so there's not a lot of inherent stability to begin with. Could be wrong on the Pure thing, but they are at least close.

I really do like them, but not sold on them as a workhorse putter mold. I picked these up because a friend sold me two Classics for cheap, and another friend gave me the Soft. Need to try a Fuzion.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:46 am

To add to the Judge comment, I played a more wooded course this morning compared to yesterday, and found my beat Classic Judge to be a laser beam on a slight hyzer. I also learned it works wonderfully on short forehand shots (<200') that need to stay straight the entire flight, or need to finish left (RHFH). Yesterday I was commenting on the flight out in the open when I could give it 100% RHBH. In that scenario it's definitely understable.

Still wondering if a Fuzion Judge is even worth it. I like relying on hyzer angles with putters instead of flat throws, and I don't need a putter with more fade...my Rhyno is fantastic for that. Anyone have experience with Fuzion Judges?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:04 pm

With hyzer flip preference i would not change the disc.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion