Distance Putting

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Distance Putting

Postby klemle » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:41 pm

Hey everyone,

So this is my first post (and first forum actually). I have been playing for around 3 years and I would say I am a pretty decent player. My home course is not particularly challenging, and the people I play with mostly are on my level or lower. I feel that because of these factors my progression as a player has been fairly slow. I have been looking to take my game to the next level recently, and I feel that it has been going pretty good. My biggest challenge is putting. When I am on, I can't miss anything inside of 40 feet, and I just feel awesome. When I am off, 20 foot puts are a struggle. I have been working on my putting confidence a lot, and one of the main things that I struggle with is consistently having good looks at long putts. I know that it is a confidence issue, because I almost always miss them short or hit the basket. There are two pieces to this that I would like a little guidence on, first technique, and second mental state.

So for distance putts, I try to push my putt from my belt, and put it on a little hyzer route into the basket. Nothing too extreme, but generally pretty effective. My problem is that sometimes, while going for a longer put, I feel myself reaching at the end of my putt. As a result, my thumb slides forward and slides the nose of my putter (175 beaten DX aviar) down, forcing my putt short. When I try to correct this, I normally over correct and sail my putts. Any advice on getting a more consistent, and favorable release for longer range putts.

Secondly, when I am on, I feel so confident I rarely miss putts that are just on the boundary of my range. This is very rare, but I would like to feel this feeling more often. I know putting is almost all mental, but I feel like anything else in this sport, there should be a way to effectively practice my mental game to get better results. What gets me though is some rounds I can feel invincible, then miss a single easy putt and fall appart. Another problem is when I am warming up and I know it is going to be a tough round, I start missing putts mentally before the round even starts. Any advice/tips/practice methods to keep myself in a more generally consistent (and positive) state of mind? I added this under my distance putting section because the problem is amplified for longer putts. When I know that I have the ability to make a long putt, but don't feel confident, it kills my confidence even more repeatedly short putting.
klemle
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Boss

Re: Distance Putting

Postby punch » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:41 pm

I only been playing disc golf for 6 months now, but I find the mental and aiming portion of putting a lot like archery which I have been doing for 25+ years. Like everyone will tell you is you need a routine, it helps relax you and helps establish your muscle memory. Before I draw my bow I take a deep breath through my mouth in hold it a sec or 2 then let it slowly out through my nose, I pick my spot on the target, visualize the arrow hitting my target, focus and empty my head of all thought, draw the bow still focusing and holding my breath calmly, then fire. When I go through this I rarely miss from 50-60 yards out ( I shot a primitive bow, no sights, no nothing). The key to hitting your target is confidence, visualization, and aim small miss small (you should be looking at a tiny point on the pole not at the whole basket, it takes some practice to visualize). You obviously have the skill to make it you are just letting your thoughts get in the way. In archery I train by running the above routine, once you have fired the arrow, if you miss you think of what you did wrong then immediately forget the shot happened. Only focus on the shots you have made that were good, so that you positively reinforce yourself that you will not miss. We tend to remember all the times we have missed and don't remember all of the repetitive times we have made those shots. DON'T think before the shot that you might miss or maybe you can make it, you are just going to make it more likely that you will miss. You can't just say to yourself that you will make it either, you have to believe it. You should check out the Mark Ellis putting confidence program on youtube it does the same sort of thing I described.
Rhyno - Shark3 - Leopard - Teebird - Mamba
punch
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:36 pm

Welcome.

Where is your thumb? Can it be moved closer to the center of the disc to allow for a longer slip and thus fewer slips to the side? At times you may not even lose too much power so your make rate will go up. Which putters have you tried that have anti slipping shapes? Rhyno and Pig are very different from Aviars but a soft x Banger is longer straighter, better gliding and less power hungry with a tackier material and a huge groove for the thumb to climb out of which makes it my favorite putter for all year round throwing. It gets cold and wet here for most of the season.

Have you tried to putt when exhaling, inhaling and holding your breath? How about raising the chin a little especially with uphill putts? The underside of the chin should point above the tray edge for sure. At 40' and more starting from the belt and finishing there needs excessive power so i imagine you lift the arm some before the disc leaves. Every inch of added release height drops a lot of power demand so the throws stay in controlled power range better.

Mental toughness is a multifaceted thing that i am not an expert on. You should feel the throw physically and not think of anything after you have noticed the wind and made the aiming corrections for that which is early in the routine prior to checking the arm movement. For which a mock throw is great. Throwing after a mock throw in one continuous movement adds power. Forgetting about the missed putts is important as long as you know what you did wrong and correct that in the next putt. Do not doubt yourself especially in the gimme range which for you is probably a little over 20'. Doubt yourself=fuck yourself and miss. If you notice negative feelings stop walk away and start the routine from top. In 90 % make rate range an earlier miss does not mean that you will miss the next one. That is a common mistake that you make too. You need to be a go getter here and say to yourself, out loud if necessary, that you are going to make this putt. After all you would not have a 90 % make rate if it wasn't routine for you.

Before a tough round fretting will mess your head up. Everyone needs to take their lumps and walk away. Telling yourself this is tough i'm gonna fail in putting is a successful strategy. You will fail so don't do it. Feldy said to not putt right before the two minute signal from anywhere but close range so that you have a success going into the round.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby klemle » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:35 am

- I usually keep my thumb between the middle and the rim of the disc.
- I was actually looking into a D-Line Banger GT, just very weary about switching putters because I have only used my Aviar. I also have a Champion Rhyno that I use for approach shots. You think the groove in the top of the banger would be beneficial?
- That is all really good advice for the mental aspect. I have been working with trying to reset my routine more when I feel negative thoughts creeping in, but sometimes after resetting they are still there. I feel that building confidence with shorter putts pre round, then learning from my putts and forgetting the missed ones will definately help me out. I feel like I currently do the opposite, I enjoy the long putts I make, then forget them, and then dwell on the missed ones.
klemle
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Boss

Postby JR » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:26 am

I live in a place where it is wet and cold for about 7 months in a year and i have super slick dry skin. I don't want to buy a D banger GT because it feels too slick. The soft X is great even in below freezing conditions. The groove is definitely helpful in both plastics. The Banger is easier to plan and aim because it holds the line longer in laser putts and since it glides better it won't drop as much so you have fewer compensation calculations going on. The Rhyno has frankly too much power requirement at a longer range and it fades a lot. The things it has going for it is headwinds, driving and the lower chance of slipping from under the thumb. I hope that you can at least borrow a soft x Banger GT because it is an easier disc to putt with.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Agricolae » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:16 am

klemle wrote:- I have been working with trying to reset my routine more when I feel negative thoughts creeping in, but sometimes after resetting they are still there.

Something that works for me when I can't seem to get my head completely clear, is to, instead of trying to fight it, intentionally plant a positive thought of something unrelated to putting/disc golf. Use your own imagination, but for me the more intensely pleasureable, emotionally positive, that thought is, the better. It's just a tool to get my brain out of my way and let my unconscious memory/body make the putt. (You know you can do it if you just get out of your own way.)

#1 is to try to reach the clear-head, Zen-like state. No thoughts. There are times when I find I need a back-up strategy.
Agricolae
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pro Leopard

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:24 pm

When I start missing low or falls short, I usually talk it up to fatigue (usually a long day before the course). I make sure to focus on my weight transfer and be sure my subconscious half of the body isnt getting lazy. All I have to consciously think of is finishing up on my toes. The rest of my body arm down must be doing the right thing if it follows to my toes.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby DiscinFiend » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:07 pm

Check out the videos

Grip A-Series
Destroyer - PD - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Roc - KC Aviar
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep
DiscinFiend
Noob

Favorite Disc: KC Roc

Postby Cryu » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:14 pm

Absolutely great thread this one! I have a horrible confidence when it comes to putting, I can hardly reach anything past 20 feet and my throws are often wobbly and too low.
Thanks for the pointers from everyone in this thread!
Cryu
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Leopard

Return to General Discussion