Best Over Head Disc

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Best Over Head Disc

Postby leftyhyzer » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:13 am

Hey guys.

I'm looking into getting a disc strictly for overhead. I've been using a champion innova orc, but I would like to save that disc for my backhand drives because thumbers and tomahawks can be pretty rough on a disc.

To be more specific, what speed, glide, and stability do you recommend. How over stable of a disc do I need?

Thanks!
leftyhyzer
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Star Mako

Re: Best Over Head Disc

Postby jubuttib » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:29 pm

What type of overhead shot are you looking for? A quick flipping up & down disc? A slow turning glider for distance? Controlled short distances? Grenades? What sort of distance can you get out of the Orc now?

As with any other type of shot, the best disc depends on what exactly you're trying to achieve, and how well and strongly you can throw the disc. A normal distance driver is likely to flip over very quickly, giving you a straighter overall flight, whereas a slower, true overstable disc (XXX, RESPECTi, flat Firebird, Banshee...) will usually tend to rotate very slowly in the air, with a lot of lateral movement, which allows you to go around corners but used right also a long time spent in an angle that lets the disc glide better. I also really like throwing overstable putters for shorter accuracy thumbers around corners or trees.

Similarly, what is the best distance overhead disc depends on how hard you can spank it. I for example have a very weak OH, so I get most distance with those slow turning true overstable discs that glide a long time, but some others who can really crank the disc can get much longer flights out of warp speed drivers, because even though they flip over faster and don't glide as much they hold on to their speed a lot longer. So far I've noticed personally that the new super overstable warp speeders like the Stiletto or Nuke OS, which would otherwise sound like the best of both worlds, tend to flip a lot faster than the slower true overstable discs, essentially as quickly as any other warp speeder, so they don't increase distance for me at all.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby leftyhyzer » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:05 pm

jubuttib wrote:What type of overhead shot are you looking for? A quick flipping up & down disc? A slow turning glider for distance? Controlled short distances? Grenades? What sort of distance can you get out of the Orc now?

As with any other type of shot, the best disc depends on what exactly you're trying to achieve, and how well and strongly you can throw the disc. A normal distance driver is likely to flip over very quickly, giving you a straighter overall flight, whereas a slower, true overstable disc (XXX, RESPECTi, flat Firebird, Banshee...) will usually tend to rotate very slowly in the air, with a lot of lateral movement, which allows you to go around corners but used right also a long time spent in an angle that lets the disc glide better. I also really like throwing overstable putters for shorter accuracy thumbers around corners or trees.

Similarly, what is the best distance overhead disc depends on how hard you can spank it. I for example have a very weak OH, so I get most distance with those slow turning true overstable discs that glide a long time, but some others who can really crank the disc can get much longer flights out of warp speed drivers, because even though they flip over faster and don't glide as much they hold on to their speed a lot longer. So far I've noticed personally that the new super overstable warp speeders like the Stiletto or Nuke OS, which would otherwise sound like the best of both worlds, tend to flip a lot faster than the slower true overstable discs, essentially as quickly as any other warp speeder, so they don't increase distance for me at all.

Sorry I should have been more specific haha. I'm looking for a distance overhead disc for those 300-400 ft holes that call for an overhead. I typically overhead my orc and my groove around 225-250 ft when going for distance. I'm not sure if this is a far toss or not. I like the groove and orc for the super straight overheads, but I feel that they are flipping over a too quick to get max distance from my throw.
leftyhyzer
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:07 am

300' is far and 400' really far with OH shots and can be hell on the body so weight lifting and tendon strengthening is great. At 225' a TB Champ would do but 250'+ is better for speed 7 overstable discs. XXX, Banshee, Predator, Firebird and such.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:33 am

Well for OH distance there are two basic ways to go about it: Either the slower true overstable discs I mentioned (Premium RESPECTi, Opto XXX, flat Champ Firebird, Champ Banshee, possibly stuff like the Speed Demon or the Z Xtreme, though I haven't tested those myself...) which glide well in the air, or the warp speed overstable drivers (Stiletto, Nuke OS, Flick...) which don't get the same glide but the sheer speed helps them get there. Which one suits you better is something you must try out for yourself. Your distance is a bit borderline, if I had to make a vague guess you'd possibly get a bit longer with the glidey discs atm. Just guessing though.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby leftyhyzer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:43 am

jubuttib wrote:Well for OH distance there are two basic ways to go about it: Either the slower true overstable discs I mentioned (Premium RESPECTi, Opto XXX, flat Champ Firebird, Champ Banshee, possibly stuff like the Speed Demon or the Z Xtreme, though I haven't tested those myself...) which glide well in the air, or the warp speed overstable drivers (Stiletto, Nuke OS, Flick...) which don't get the same glide but the sheer speed helps them get there. Which one suits you better is something you must try out for yourself. Your distance is a bit borderline, if I had to make a vague guess you'd possibly get a bit longer with the glidey discs atm. Just guessing though.

I also think my overhead technique needs work. I just started disc golf a month ago and I can throw backhand 450 on a good toss (it doesn't really go where I want it too yet though haha). I think with some work I could be getting 325 ft overheads.
leftyhyzer
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:14 am

450 after a month? Took me 2 years of dedicated practice to start reaching those distances, and nearly two more to get anywhere near 400' consistently. =)
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby slowarm » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:30 pm

Inches or feet?

....just jealous, after four years of playing, no chance to get even close 450'. (Tailwind record is somewhere @ 400', golf line drives max 375' on a good throw.)
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby leftyhyzer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:58 pm

I've always been talented in throwing things far. Now if I could hit the broad side of a barn at 50 ft then i'd be getting somewhere haha.
leftyhyzer
Noob

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:44 pm

Are there 150 class Firebirds out there with the same overstability as the flat, stiff 12x Champs and Glows?

I'm throwing thumbers 200' or maybe a little more with a max weight Z Pred and flat C PD. I know I need to work on my form, but I'm just curious if you guys think a lighter disc with more overstability would help gain some distance as I improve form.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Mark Ellis » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:53 am

A buddy of mine, a Discraft sponsored Pro, has a powerful (crazy power) and accurate overhead shot. For long distance (or great height, if he needs to go over obstacles) he uses overstable drivers, Flicks or Crushes.

I have seen him throw overheads for many different shots, from short upshots to long drives. He seems to use every disc in his bag depending on the shot he needs, from putters to drivers. The next time I play with him I will get a run down on disc selection and report back.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Return to Equipment