The Crank!

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Crank!

Postby PMantle » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:48 am

I owned a D4 for a while and I've thrown a Crank owned by someone else. Maybe my D4 was a freak, but it was way more understable than the Crank. The closest thing I could compare the Crank to would be Vulcan, but some of that comes from the visibly similar shoulders. If I threw 13 speed discs, I'd buy one for sure. Heck, if my shoulder ever heals, I may buy one just for fun.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby JR » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:20 am

Light blue 170-172 is even better in the longer Beast role than the fine Champ Tern. Crank is faster more HSS and is a hair later and less fading and definitely longer on average and could be a few feet longer max too. The Crank is not as speed stable as the Tern in the winds but still needs a little compensation hyzer in moderate headwinds. Since the Crank pulls out of anny later and less it is not as reliable for flex shots but is better for into the ground annies, max D s-curves, longest possible straight shots low with available drivers for non elite distance throwers that can utilize the extra speed and neutralize the extra fade of Nukes, and decent wind handling for other than headwinds while going straight as a fairway driver. A bold statement and an excellent disc to provide the truth. Ville Piippo could flip it FH i cannot with clean throws. It is not unmanageable flip even for Ville.

The straightest Kings have been beaten for the role of less power demanding distance driver that flies straighter than the beefiest distance drivers. Nukes and Bosses etc. High PLH domey VIP Kings flip at 400'ish power and fade more than the Crank. I cannot be totally sure about the Crank but if it turns at 400' it might be from me having slight wrist rolls from the effort. I need more throws to say for sure. By the way the early session was at 45F and the evening session was much colder. So i imagine the discs would have flown farther to challenge Nukes for D had i not had as much clothes on and the air being less beneficial for D.

Prodigy drivers fade more and the closest ones for distance the D3 and D4 are way less HSS so not as easy and reliable. I did throw the D3 in warm weather as far as i got the Crank and one good rear wind drive with 166 Champ Tern. In these temps and riding the wind i got to 420-430' with these but the Tern needed skips and on one great pull with the Tern i hit the back wall of the throwing area at so much speed that it skipped 40' back from the fence at 470'. So i think it would have gone over 500' unobstructed with skips. I've almost gotten the same potential with the D3 in warmer climes and did not get as good pulls with the Crank yet.

Don't be deceived by my failure to get a perfect shot (within the limits of my skill and power) off of the Crank leaving the best distance less than with the D3 and the lighter of the two Terns i have to mean that the Crank ain't longest of this bunch. It seems to be on average getting longer air flights than either of those two. The only discs that i've gotten as far on perfect throws riding the wind are some optimal out of the way more throws than with other discs with Beasts and the most OS Kings, Blizzard and R-Pro Bosses plus Nukes and the very difficult to throw different to most guys Rampages and Cannons. With ESP 163 Nuke being the longest thus far with air shots and air shot plus skips. Despite King fading less and the D3 a hair less than that and the Tern being roughly the same and the Crank noticeably but not very much later. The thing is that the Crank starts the slightly milder fade later so it is in effect less LSS in effect than the actual fade indicates being straighter longer. This is way easier to put into tight fairways with straight shots than any other distance driver not giving up significant distance to the longest discs. With the straightest forward skip of any warp speeder i have seen. Immediately bagged. A Crank/non Blizzard Boss combo might better than Crank/Nuke even though there is a few feet of lost D. Save for the winds making the Boss speed stable beyond its comfort zone the added fade of the Boss probably creates more options and less overlap than with the less fading and more flipping Nuke paired up to the Crank. Thus far i have not out driven Nukes with Cranks but in most cases on the course i don't think the distance difference matters to scoring. The Crank is just that shit good. I urge everyone to try one. I have to throw it more to see if it bumps the Beast off of my favorite driver pedestal. The Crank does not easily replace the Beast though fading too much underpowered. The Crank is a distance driver and the Beast is a placement driver with less fade thus more point and shoot ability. The Crank is point and shoot at above say 380-390' where the Beasts start to risk turning so that is a perfect pair for straight shots out to different distances handing over in D where both remain in their straightest mode. Tasty.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby NoMoreTinCup » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:26 pm

Max Weight ESP Crank is solidly in my bag. Took out a D4 for long turnovers, and a Pinnacle Rampage for flat out bombs. I was so happy with it that I bought some Zs. The max weight Zs are quite a bit more overstable than the ESPs. Really nice for just a bit of headwind, or flat flexy forehands. My Zs are very flat, whereas the ESPs are domey. I am delighted with both, but don't expect them to fly similarly.
KP
Elk Creek Disc Golf
www.elkcreekdgc.info
NoMoreTinCup
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Craft Discs

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:12 pm

NoMoreTinCup wrote:Max Weight ESP Crank is solidly in my bag. Took out a D4 for long turnovers, and a Pinnacle Rampage for flat out bombs. I was so happy with it that I bought some Zs. The max weight Zs are quite a bit more overstable than the ESPs. Really nice for just a bit of headwind, or flat flexy forehands. My Zs are very flat, whereas the ESPs are domey. I am delighted with both, but don't expect them to fly similarly.
KP

I have a poor memory and I may have been told this before.

Could you say they fly pretty similar to a Champion Tern?

I know one thing the Crank does feel really comfortable in the hand. I guess you could say sleeker,that is if you are comparing it to a nuke
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby JR » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:02 am

My Cranks fade less but being ESP means they broke in faster. So if memory serves when new the Crank flipped less but now it is more likely to be equal to the Champ Tern in turn. With not that many tosses on the Crank. The Champ Tern vs Crank new were odd in power requirement and D. It may have been too few shoot out throws with winds messing up things last fall when i did the test but the Crank had better average D and the Tern got a couple of longer throws than any i had with the Crank but only with the best pulls. Crank is a bit slow and the Tern is more modern in that respect but still slower than Nukes also shorter.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:44 pm

JR wrote:My Cranks fade less but being ESP means they broke in faster. So if memory serves when new the Crank flipped less but now it is more likely to be equal to the Champ Tern in turn. With not that many tosses on the Crank. The Champ Tern vs Crank new were odd in power requirement and D. It may have been too few shoot out throws with winds messing up things last fall when i did the test but the Crank had better average D and the Tern got a couple of longer throws than any i had with the Crank but only with the best pulls. Crank is a bit slow and the Tern is more modern in that respect but still slower than Nukes also shorter.

Sounds good. I'll keep my eyes peeled for one in the used bin. :D
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Previous

Return to Equipment