looking for a straight driver

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Which is a better driver? Has anyone thrown both, and prefers one?

Surge SS
38%
Innova Krait
63%

Total votes : 8

Re: looking for a straight driver

Postby JR » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:07 pm

At that range beast is the straightest i have found and it hyzer flip compensates better in winds than the faster crank which is close otherwise but cannot take any headwind without higher risk of judgment error. And less powering down tolerance. Not reliable but the straightest i have found is a broken in dx Leopard that flips a lot and dies in the wind.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby clard » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:45 pm

Leopards are great, and I think would be a great choice if you want something that is going to fly really straight and finish with minimal fade right now. However, the straightest flying thing I have ever thrown is a beat in champ teebird. This thing will fly, with a very slight hyzer flip, 360-390 and land almost flat. It's also great for releasing dead flat and flying and landing flat anywhere from 280-350 or so. Beat in a teebird.
clard
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Jewdy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:32 pm

I would also like to suggest a S-FD. It is slower than a surge-ss or Krait, but has almost no fade and a ton of glide. Definitely long for a fairway driver.
Crank-Destroyers-Patriot-Rival-Firebird-Comets-Fugitive-Zone-Wizards
Jewdy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby jubuttib » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:01 am

Don't know how useful it is to suggest a whole bunch of understable fairway drivers, when the question was about straight distance drivers. If we're dropping down to fairway driver speeds then the choice is pretty obvious: There's hardly a straighter driver in existence than the TeeBird.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:30 am

Leo is definitely harder to keep from annies but Stalker is not any less hss at his power in mild winds and fades less than the Teebird. Actually i have flipping Teebirds and have had one flipping when new Stalker and three non flippers. There are less fading drivers than the Teebird. Some are reasonably hss too like the Fury and the TL. Stalker is shorter being a tweener but QJLS is very close to my TBs in hss and less lss faster and longer. I had a non flipping c tb almost ten years ago and the rest have flipped a degree or two. They say that tournament TBs such as Brinsters are beefier. They could be good if the least possibme lss can be substituted for wind handling hss. There a robust Teebird has the edge on these other options save for the glo z Stalker perhaps.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby itlnstln » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:22 am

jubuttib wrote:Don't know how useful it is to suggest a whole bunch of understable fairway drivers, when the question was about straight distance drivers. If we're dropping down to fairway driver speeds then the choice is pretty obvious: There's hardly a straighter driver in existence than the TeeBird.

A beat-in Star Starfire or PD would fit this role fairly well, I would think. I used to love my Starfires, but now my Destroyers (in various states of wear) fill that slot just as well.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby jubuttib » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:11 pm

True, a nicely seasoned PD would fit quite well. Personally though I'd rather go with a stiff S-TD (stiffer ones tend to have a higher PLH). And I do.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby slowarm » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:56 am

Saint?
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby mikepowles » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:58 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up ordering a star SL (starfire L). Based on the flight ratings, it seemed like a slower destroyer, which sounds nice to me, since I wanted something I could get some nice straight distance with, but control well at the same time. I think it will make a nice control disc for me at about 280-300 feet, while I stick with my tern and nuke ss for the longer stuff.
mikepowles
Noob

Favorite Disc: innova tern

Postby jubuttib » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:11 pm

280-300 feet? That's way below SL territory, it won't fly like it's supposed to at those distances. That's mid-range area, TeeBird at the most.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby JR » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:36 am

Leo at most because to get a tb beaten in so straight it likes to flip more than the most hss leo which is star. Sl likes more like 380 or more and not that high to keep from fading early and when the fade kicks in the disc does not move as much sideways that it can. We have often seen people ask for advice get just that and then pick something completely different and not as suitable.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby itlnstln » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:18 am

jubuttib wrote:280-300 feet? That's way below SL territory, it won't fly like it's supposed to at those distances. That's mid-range area, TeeBird at the most.

Word. That's Roc or powered-down Leo range.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby slowarm » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:34 am

280-300 feet, that's about 90 meters, right? Old farts like me reach that distance with a Comet if it's tailwind. If it's headwind, I'd go with a Star TB. Really no need for anything faster than 7 and as the guys above tell you, even 7 might be too fast. Take what ever you want, but TB is a "straight driver", exactly what you asked in the first post. Buzzzes, Rocs etc are even straighter, but might fall too short for you, depending on your level.

Remember all, not everyone here can throw 400'. At least I can't.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby Stringbean » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:42 am

I agree, the Star SL will fade hard at that distance. It's also nose angle sensitive, which will make it a poor choice if you struggle in that regard.

JLS would be a good choice. Vibram's unLace powers down into a dead straight driver at that distance. Thrown soft and smooth, it is point and shoot out to 300 feet. That disc is a lot of fun for all power levels.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby mikepowles » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:02 pm

well I don't have any problems with a nuke ss fading out too hard at the end, and thats a harder to control, faster driver with more fade. And I have thrown destroyers and been able to control them somewhat. So maybe I throw a little further than I thought, or maybe I just have good control for a slow arm. Either way, I don't see myself struggling with a speed 10 driver at all.
mikepowles
Noob

Favorite Disc: innova tern

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment