My disc golf bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My disc golf bag

Postby Calhack111 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:18 am

I've been playing disc golf for about four years and read the forums often but have never posted anything. So I just wanted to see what people think of what I'm carrying. The courses I play are lightly to moderately wooded and some are flat to a little hilly. Another thing to note is that they are usually pretty windy.
Putters: Champion Aviar 158g go to putter
Star Aviar 175g upshots and backup putter
Yeti Pro Aviar 170g driving putter and windy day putter

Mids: Elite Z Buzzz 178g stable to straight, holds lines great
Elite Z Hornet 167g stable to overstable mid,

Fairway drivers: 12x Champion Teebird 158g beat, very straight on medium power flippy on high power
Prodigy F2 172g stable fairway driver good for sidearm and always finishes hard
12x Champion Firebird 175g overstable disc, utility shots

Distance Drivers: Champion Beast 175g backhand driver
Star Destroyer 175g forehand distance driver and occasional backhand if I need a strong left finish or if
threre is a bit of a headwind

You may notice that I don't really have any understable discs and that's because I don't really like them. It's not that I don't know how to throw them but I don't like the flippy uncoltrolavle unpredictable fight of most of them. But I will sometimes carry my beat soft magnet 172g, beat dx staingay 171g and a champion roadrunner 161g.
PD Saint Firebird Roadrunner Teebird Hornet Buzzz Stingray Jokeri Voodoo
Calhack111
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: My disc golf bag

Postby JR » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:17 am

Hi depending on your power the Destroyer might not handle enough headwinds. Something beefier might help if the Destro gets flippy. Like a Force. Understable disc can be reliable. For one thing you can count on them to flip which is great for more lines than just fh. Do you have a too large gap between the Yeti and the Teebird. That cannot be covered in lines from the Buzz annied. The Buzz moves fast sideways so it turns too soon for straight then right turning fairways. If you do not pkay courses like that normally you are fine until you get to a hole like that. That is too long for your fh if you thow farther bh.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Calhack111 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Ok so I'll throw in the understable discs which are the roadrunner, stingray and magnet. For a disc between the teebird and the yeti Aviar I have a star mako and seasoned dx gator that are both pretty straight. Also for the overstable driver, would my firebird not work? If not, I have a flat champion destroyer that I cannot turn at all, while I can get the star one to turn a little and it turns a lot in a headwind.
Calhack111
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:43 am

The Firebird is better in resisting flipping in monster headwins but it is short so the Champ Destro is better for longer headwind throws.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Calhack111 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:24 pm

Ok so after adding those discs my bag looks like this:
Champion destroyer 17X
Star Destroyer 175
Champion Beast 175
Champion Firebird 175
Champion Roadrunner 161
Prodigy f2 172
Champion Teebird 157
Elite Z Hornet 167
DX Gator 171 worn in to very straight
Elite Z Buzzz 178
DX Stingray 171
Yeti Pro Aviar 171
Star Aviar 175
Champion Aviar 158
Soft Magnet 172
To me it looks good but it has a few too many molds and discs. Also, I need to get rid of a disc because my bag only holds a max of 14, so I was thinking get rid of the soft magnet. What do you think of that?
Calhack111
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:21 pm

Aviar might overlap with the yeti. Straight mid overlap so buzz or gator. Roadrunner or beast. Beast is better in the winds.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Calhack111 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:34 pm

Actually date going to the course yesterday the beast seemed a lot flippier than I remembered so it is definitely going to be replacing the roadrunner. Buzzz beats gator hands down for me. No I don't think the aviars and the yeti overlap because I can easily flip my aviars but not the yeti.
So here's what I'm at now:
Drivers:
Destroyers x2
Champion beast
Champion firebird
F2
Teebird
Mids:
Hornet
Buzzz
Stingray
Putters:
Yeti pro Aviar
Aviar x2
Calhack111
Noob

Postby JR » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:41 am

I forgot that the Yetis have changed from the first batch and i have not tried the newer ones. The early soft ones broke in quick aroubd rocks and flipped at power but not underpowered in the wind. People wrote here that newer ones are harder and could last longer in straight stage. Once it breaks in the Yeti can be used for hyzer flips and a new one is needed for straight shots. It looks better now though i do not know about the F2 but other than that it is looking much less overlapping now. I would stick to it for a while to see if you find gaps. If you need short sharp curves the Hornet might do if skips are not a problem if you can power it down reliably and throw bh and fh. If skips are a problem like with baskets beside cliffs or steep hill sides an os putter is more forgiving. Other than that it depends on your greed if you want a longer headwind disc than the Firebird .
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Calhack111 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:59 pm

Ok thanks for the feedback. The yeti is one of the newer ones and is quite stiff. The f2, since you don't know much about it, flies like a new champion teebird but a little bit more overstable. The reason I got it is because I felt the plastic, and I liked the disc enough to keep it in my bag.
Calhack111
Noob

Postby JR » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:39 am

For me most Teebirds have needed more hss in the winds so if the lss of the f2 is similar or less it is a good support. Or even better. I think the PD is better than most TBs anyway. The F2 could be too from that description. Laseri is way more hss than TB but more lss and way more power hungry. That and a TB would work too but there would be less overlap and more versatility with laseri and tl. It would cover a wider range in stability than the TB combo. Without sa rificing wind tolerance thanks to the beefy laseri. It is a big boy disc and the least fading of so hss discs i have tried. It is good and thus it would be interesting to do a shootou between the laseri and the f2.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Calhack111 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:44 pm

We'll there was an ace race at my local disc golf course this past weekend, and even though I wasn't able to participate I picked up 2 of the discs and they are amazing! They fly just like new teebird a do, straight with a lot of glide and a nice fade. It is also very hss and handled forehands and headwinds really well, despite its 155-159g weight. Also, the f2 now flies more like an eagle after removing some of the flash, giving it more high speed turn but has a larger fade than the prototype disc. And I threw out the beast for my roadrunner because it powers down better, better glide. I'm also trying out different discs to use for thumbers. Any suggestions?
Calhack111
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:39 am

Everything in your bag really. Roadrunner is qood for quick spirals and firebird for slow ones.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Calhack111 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:00 pm

So after playing 4 more rounds I changed it up a little:
Champion Orc(17?): for very long drives
Champion Firebird (175):forehand, utility disc
Champion Roadrunner(161): rollers, long turnovers and tunnel shots
Champion Teebird (175): go to driver, thrown flat and hard it goes straight then fades
Champion Teebird (158): broken in, hyzer flip to dead straight with almost no fade
Prodigy F2 (172): comparable to an eagle, can be used to hold many different lines
Elite Z Hornet (167): overstable midrange
Elite Z Buzzz (178): straight mid range
DX Stingray (171): understable mid
Yeti Pro Aviar (170): headwind putter, hyzer approaches, drives
Champion Aviar (158): driving Aviar, upshots
Star Aviar (175): go to putter
I also just got a glow 175g voodoo and really like it. I might have to buy a few more and replace my aviars with them.
Calhack111
Noob

Postby Calhack111 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:21 pm

So I've changed quite a bit since last time I was on here. I have slowed my drivers down from speed 11 and 12 to 9 and 10, and I get just as far with added accuracy, and have seen my scored improve a lot. I am maxing out at about 400 with the pd right now.
P line PD 170
GL/Opto Saint 169/174
Champion firebird 175
Glow champ firebird 175
Champion teebird 175/157
Prodigy f2 172
Z hornet 167
Z buzzz 178
Star mako 172
Premium Jokeri 175
SSS/glow Voodoo 175
The problem I'm having is finding mods that work for me. The buzzz is fine, but the hornet is a little to fast to me and doesn't seen stable enough, or maybe that's just mine. I am also having trouble with the understable mid. I've thought about trying a fuse. Does that sound like a good idea? If so what plastic/weight? I also don't know if I want to keep any of the fairways because the drivers power down pretty well for that range. I'm going to get a s line pd to go with the other one because that one is getting broken in and doesn't do too well for distance in the wind. As for an understable driver, my roadrunner vanished last week. I have a archangel but am scared to use it. In the meantime I have been looking for a replacement.
Calhack111
Noob

Postby Calhack111 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:54 pm

Its been a while since I have posted. I have reworked my form and my bag since then. My goto discs for almost any situation are fairway drivers, and on my home course, which is shorter, they are the fastest discs I carry. Usting the Teebird I max out at about 400 and average 375. I now carry:
Distance Drivers
175 C-Line PD2
171 Champion Destroyer
175 Star Destroyer
175 Gstar Krait

Control Drivers
175 Glow Champion Firebird
175 Champion Firebird(Domey)
175 C-Line PD
161 Champion Roadrunner

Fairway Drivers
175 C-Line FD2