looking for a straight driver

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Which is a better driver? Has anyone thrown both, and prefers one?

Surge SS
38%
Innova Krait
63%

Total votes : 8

Re: looking for a straight driver

Postby jubuttib » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:23 pm

Thanks for the clarification, probably a confusion over you saying you're looking for a distance driver, then quoting that distance, but I'll say it again: 300' is below the SL's proper working range. Since you're a 350-375' thrower I'm going to narrow down to the best driver for the true straight shot: TeeBird. It's actually supposed to work at those distances for that type of shots. The pretty low line will help with this even more.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:19 am

Iirc i have thrown tbs for eight years. The only one that was beaten into lss one even on a seven to eight foot high throw was a dx that once bent thirty degrees down in the wing before i twisted it back to shape. The rest have been lss three. Damn i want to have a hss zero lss one tb. I would also like to know the ball park speed and spin of jubuttib. I am at fifty plus mph twenty to twenty four revs per second. Not all my discs are defective. Jubuttib has owned even a wider variety of stabilities in tbs than i have. None of mine have been nearly as overstable as the one that is close to a c pd.

Pmantle i already described your error in my previous post. In one word it could be summerized as safety. Against user error and not needing to nail power nose angle hyzer and height perfectly each time and lucking out in the landing not skipping left bh. Which is why i have this to say to mikepowles. Sure head height lucky non right rh skips to three hundred with the sl can work but it is risking a lot and penalizing erred shots wind reading etc. Tb and pd are safer bets and the pd tends to fade and skip. Olf could work too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby PMantle » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:37 am

JR wrote:Pmantle i already described your error in my previous post. In one word it could be summerized as safety. Against user error and not needing to nail power nose angle hyzer and height perfectly each time and lucking out in the landing not skipping left bh. Which is why i have this to say to mikepowles. Sure head height lucky non right rh skips to three hundred with the sl can work but it is risking a lot and penalizing erred shots wind reading etc. Tb and pd are safer bets and the pd tends to fade and skip. Olf could work too.

There was no error. Let's look again, shall we?

This kind of thing gets repeated on board a lot. It's flat out objectively wrong. It's as if some of you have no memory of throwing those distances. The SL is perfect for that. Speed 10. -1 and only 2. I won't even get into the mid and t-bird advice.

Sentence #1. Fact. It's not debatable.

Sentence #2. My opinion, and I stand by it. Same for 3.

Sentence #4. Again, my opinion. The next sentence backs it up with ratings that are dead on considering how many discs are not rated accurately.

#5. The T-bird stuff just isn't helpful. Again, my opinion.

No, you really did not describe an error.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby JR » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:35 am

Wow another one like that once more. We have seen that before many times. Safety. Toss a full power boss and putter toss in a tunnel case closed. And i will not answer you because you pegged yourself and i am happy to judge by the demerits of those that have gone before you so the only reason for me to reply is to get personal har har. Yeah i just had one beer and i think you cannot read even if i had not. I hope to not find out how much exactly your powrers of analysis lack.

Clarification this is in jest not meant to insult. Much. I have little faith in anyone making those kinds of mistakes in thinking. It is annoying how common it is. So i have little interest in continuing this discourse since usually people that are so wrong got there because of so much that is wrong in their education and thought processes that they are unable to learn enough without too much effort.

Sound harsh you think. Reality is that it is a faq here that you failed in. Deal with it. Abc is easy do not fight it. At this point piss and moan is the standard reply so my reply is that Shakespeare knew the futility of fighting against the laws of nature centuries ago. In writing about the king commanding the tide to not raise the water and wet his feet. Guess who lost. That describes my interest in continuing as well. It seems to be a law of nature that those that resist facts continue to stay so. Fine.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby slowarm » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:36 am

Oh dear...here we go again. The OP decided to get a SL. End of discussion. Case closed.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby Stringbean » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:45 pm

Not case closed until he reports back with how it worked for him.
Summit - Judge - QMS - Leopard - Eagle - SOLS - QOLF - Beast - Wraith
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby PMantle » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:36 am

JR wrote:Wow another one like that once more. We have seen that before many times. Safety. Toss a full power boss and putter toss in a tunnel case closed. And i will not answer you because you pegged yourself and i am happy to judge by the demerits of those that have gone before you so the only reason for me to reply is to get personal har har. Yeah i just had one beer and i think you cannot read even if i had not. I hope to not find out how much exactly your powrers of analysis lack.

Clarification this is in jest not meant to insult. Much. I have little faith in anyone making those kinds of mistakes in thinking. It is annoying how common it is. So i have little interest in continuing this discourse since usually people that are so wrong got there because of so much that is wrong in their education and thought processes that they are unable to learn enough without too much effort.

Sound harsh you think. Reality is that it is a faq here that you failed in. Deal with it. Abc is easy do not fight it. At this point piss and moan is the standard reply so my reply is that Shakespeare knew the futility of fighting against the laws of nature centuries ago. In writing about the king commanding the tide to not raise the water and wet his feet. Guess who lost. That describes my interest in continuing as well. It seems to be a law of nature that those that resist facts continue to stay so. Fine.

I'm now dumber for having read this. Safety? Bwahahahahah
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:39 am

I am not saying that it cannot work at least when you have a landing spot with tall grass that reduce or eliminate skips but given the difficulty of that shot simple things like tiring out in a tournament can savage the score. When another disc could be much more forgiving. Different strokes i guess but different scores most likely too for two equally good players from equipment alone.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby PMantle » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:09 pm

Stringbean wrote:Not case closed until he reports back with how it worked for him.

I don't think it's going to work because:

Because I throw a teerex and a tern

The SL is not more stable for me than my Champion Tern. My Star? Yeah, it is.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Jewdy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:11 pm

SL for a 300' straight shot when you max out at 375' is just silly. I used to do stuff like that when I first started playing and am worse off now for doing so. I am sure that I slowed my progress in the sport by trying to force a square peg into a round hole instead of suffering through some growing pains. I think that most of the people on this board have made this mistake themselves or know someone who has and are just trying to keep someone else from repeating their mistakes.

JR, I agree with you on the SL but not on the Teebirds. Most of mine have been fadeless lasers, especially the 12x champs (not jolly launcher).
Crank-Destroyers-Patriot-Rival-Firebird-Comets-Fugitive-Zone-Wizards
Jewdy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby JR » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:52 am

I must have the shittiest luck in getting tbs or i am doing something wrong. Well i could always stop the wrist harder for a few times a day when i am fully warmed up which is rare. Any more than that and i am hurting. Still i am not exactly a spin deficient thrower even if i am not the king of spin. I have one dyed 11x and two 12x champs plus dxs and a star 150. That star is still more fading than a no flash tl.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby itlnstln » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:37 am

Jewdy wrote:SL for a 300' straight shot when you max out at 375' is just silly. I used to do stuff like that when I first started playing and am worse off now for doing so. I am sure that I slowed my progress in the sport by trying to force a square peg into a round hole instead of suffering through some growing pains. I think that most of the people on this board have made this mistake themselves or know someone who has and are just trying to keep someone else from repeating their mistakes.

This.

Jewdy wrote:JR, I agree with you on the SL but not on the Teebirds. Most of mine have been fadeless lasers, especially the 12x champs (not jolly launcher).

I just bought a couple of TBs, and they have been rather beefy. Not quite FB over stable, but more over stable than I expected; maybe close to Eagle X overstable. This is not necessarily a bad thing.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby PMantle » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:22 pm

I keep one Champion T-bird and go through several DXs a season due to a certain hole. The stabilities are not similar at all. I can't turn the Champion at all(350 with drivers), but have no problem turning the DXs some.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby mikepowles » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:30 pm

SL is awesome! I have used it for two rounds and done a little field testing, and it does what I wanted and more. If I power down to 80-85 percent, it goes really straight with a fairly mild fade at the end, resulting in a 300 foot drive. If I really crank it up, I can get a nice s-curve where it ends up straight from where I threw it, and about 370 feet. I own a nuke ss, but I can throw this thing just as far and it is way better at powering down. So the case is now closed. Anyone wanna by a custom tournament stamp 174 gram nuke ss?
mikepowles
Noob

Favorite Disc: innova tern

Postby PMantle » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:24 pm

mikepowles wrote:SL is awesome! I have used it for two rounds and done a little field testing, and it does what I wanted and more. If I power down to 80-85 percent, it goes really straight with a fairly mild fade at the end, resulting in a 300 foot drive. If I really crank it up, I can get a nice s-curve where it ends up straight from where I threw it, and about 370 feet.

PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Previous

Return to Equipment