How much difference does weight make?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

How much difference does weight make?

Postby JTdisc » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:10 pm

In your experience, how much difference does weight make when it comes to stability? (RHFH thrower)

When thrown flat, my 168g opto Saints turn too much for me. Would moving up to a 175g change the high speed stability significantly?

If there wouldn't be that much of a difference then I would probably try a more (over)stable disc like a PD, OLF or Boatman.
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

Re: How much difference does weight make?

Postby itlnstln » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:21 am

Assuming you have perfect technique and consistency in disc molding is perfect, I don't think moving from 168 to 175 is going to make a big difference; maybe a slight loss in distance and a little less turn, but nothing major. The only changes in flight you might notice would be due to you not being able to throw the 175 as fast as a 168, but 7 g. isn't a big jump so may see nothing at all. Going from 150 class to 175 would be much more noticeable.

If you're looking for something more significant, I would look at a more over-stable disc.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby JTdisc » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:31 am

Ok, cool, thanks for the input.
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

Postby BLURR » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:47 am

I think it really depends on the mold. A 180g roc flies a fair bit different for me than a 175g roc. Sames goes for Wizards in my experience.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby slowarm » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:25 am

I have three S-line PDs, 169g, 172g and 175g. The 169g PD is most overstable of them. They all look the same considering PLH, the 169g PD is white, others are yellow.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby itlnstln » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:06 am

slowarm wrote:I have three S-line PDs, 169g, 172g and 175g. The 169g PD is most overstable of them. They all look the same considering PLH, the 169g PD is white, others are yellow.

Bosses tend to be more overstable the lighter they are, too. I'm not sure if that's due to PLH or not, though.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:11 am

Does that observation about the Bosses apply to other plastics than Star in your Opinion? Star Bosses were the first Starlites and they are indeed more overstable at high 160s than max weight which is made of regular Star without the air bubbles. I have not seen the same in other plastics in Bosses and i have owned them in every plastic except DX. For the rest of the plastics PLH has been the deciding factor in stability with the discs i own.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby itlnstln » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:59 am

JR wrote:Does that observation about the Bosses apply to other plastics than Star in your Opinion? Star Bosses were the first Starlites and they are indeed more overstable at high 160s than max weight which is made of regular Star without the air bubbles. I have not seen the same in other plastics in Bosses and i have owned them in every plastic except DX. For the rest of the plastics PLH has been the deciding factor in stability with the discs i own.

No, you're exactly right. I have noticed this primarily in Star plastic. Champ seems to be (disappointingly) understable in all weights from what I've seen lately. A couple of early run 172 Champ Bosses I have are just as overstable as the 168-ish Star Bosses in my stack, though.

I think this is why a discussion on weight differential is difficult. The reality is that assuming perfect technique and, especially, perfect run consistency is a horrible assumption to make. Unfortunately, not everyone has a Disc Nation-style shop near by where you can test a whole stack of plastic to help with your purchases. I would love to try all types of different discs, but I don't have a physical store anywhere near me.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Return to General Discussion