Forehand Critique

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Forehand Critique

Postby JcBook » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:56 pm

I'm a 90% forehand thrower due to an injury to my shoulder that doesn't allow me to throw backhand. I've thrown a lot of different discs and they all have about the same flight path. Most of my drives are going about 200' and at the end are almost turning over and crashing hard.

Every time I head out with my one friend he hands me a disc to throw and it goes great but then when I purchase the same model I can't throw it at all. Also I'm not sure if I what weight disc I should be throwing. My friend says to stay at 170 and above but the 163-165 2013 Ace Race Disc I have, I can get it to fly the best consistently.

Here is a link to me throwing:
http://youtu.be/NnhoHBigyE0
JcBook
Noob

Favorite Disc: Flick

Re: Forehand Critique

Postby JR » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:28 am

Welcome. Have you seen this?

You lacked a follow through step and could take the steps faster so that the step after the disc has left is easier to perform. You should try twisting the upper body left of neutral from the hips to see if that creates more power. That might require a full power stopping of the left leg in place relative to the ground until the disc has left to achieve. Think of javelin throwers slamming down the leg from high speed and stopping the foot in place. The same thing for us.

Your arm swung at different heights with a rising finish so it is entirely possible that the disc slows down too fast and fades too early sapping distance. At least if the apex height is great vs the speed of the throw. I think it could be. With the current throw you'd need a slow low fade high glide disc and most of those are so understable that they are easy to flip. Your arm movement back to front lacks acceleration in the end in part to not pushing the elbow first to lead the throw before it straightens. Also the wrist seems to not stop fast enough to sling the disc forward pivoting between the index finger and the thumb. It will make the disc fly less flippy and farther. There is easy 20-30' to be had right there when you manage a steely abrupt retarding of the wrist flick back to front. It requires a lot of muscle usage in the wrist and forearm area.

The other part in the arm acceleration lacking is likely less than maximum effort from the arm. The harder the whole arm swings forward the more the wrist needs to flick forward and the fingers too until max power stopping of the wrist and fingers before the disc leaves. Note that it is easy to not get enough wrist action to spin the disc enough to avoid flipping. Which is cured by delaying the hard arm movement acceleration. It can be super late really incredibly so.

I hesitate to give weight and disc suggestions for now when you should change the form for more speed and spin on the disc and see how the discs you have now behave. Coming back with the description of the flight paths and distances plus reliability you get with current discs helps us to recommend suitable discs for you for the time when you are closer to your potential.

A tight grip helps a ton in avoiding the discs flipping because it tightens up the wrist but that should be emphasized too. To get more gripping power you can tuck the disc in the furthermost in point between the thumb and the index finger and squeezing the disc tightly with the thumb toward the palm too not only with the fingers. How tight is good enough needs to be explored because people have a varying mix of muscle power in different places and different techniques. Vein popping tightness will sap arm speed and distance as long as a looser grip can achieve as good a snap. So the optimum for distance and reliability needs to be found out by a lot of throws. Preferably on a field so that you can throw often and a lot trying to eliminate mistakes of the previous throws.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique