So Does anyone have any plans for making homemade baskets?
I've looked around, and so far, I like using the blue 55gal barrels and a 2" sch40 pvc pipe as a post. I thought about using a regular metal fencepost inside of this for extra support, since I'm not going to put concrete out anywhere like this. I think I could probably get the blue barrels locally from companies that use them and dispose of them, assuming they didn't store anything bad in them. I don't know that the overall basket diameter would be exactly the same, but I could always regulate that by adjusting my chain positioning to keep it close.
I'm looking at putting a few in the woods near a local hiking trail.
1) My thought was a 2" sch40 pvc pipe for the post
2) Drill and tap 4 holes for the bottom basket section (3,6,9,12 on clock face)
3) Put a bolt in the holes to support the bottom basket
4) Cut the bottom of the blue barrel off so it's 10" tall to make the lower basket
5) The lower basket will rest on the 4 bolts
6) Drill and tap 4 holes for the top basket section (3,6,9,12 on clock face)
7) Put a bolt in the holes to support the bottom basket
Cut the top off of the barrel so it's 4" tall to make the chain rack
9) The chain rack will rest on the 4 upper bolts
10) Cut slots in the chain rack wide enough for a chain link (1/2"x1-1/2" roughly) for each
11) Put the chains through the slots and run a small steel braid cable in a full circle around the top
12) Put a small steel braid cable throught the chains at the bottom in place of a ring
I got my measurements from herehttp://www.innovadiscs.com/targets/discatcher-pro.html
So what do you guys think, would this work?