Home Made Basket

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Home Made Basket

Postby zeramant86 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:34 am

So Does anyone have any plans for making homemade baskets?
I've looked around, and so far, I like using the blue 55gal barrels and a 2" sch40 pvc pipe as a post. I thought about using a regular metal fencepost inside of this for extra support, since I'm not going to put concrete out anywhere like this. I think I could probably get the blue barrels locally from companies that use them and dispose of them, assuming they didn't store anything bad in them. I don't know that the overall basket diameter would be exactly the same, but I could always regulate that by adjusting my chain positioning to keep it close.

I'm looking at putting a few in the woods near a local hiking trail.

1) My thought was a 2" sch40 pvc pipe for the post
2) Drill and tap 4 holes for the bottom basket section (3,6,9,12 on clock face)
3) Put a bolt in the holes to support the bottom basket
4) Cut the bottom of the blue barrel off so it's 10" tall to make the lower basket
5) The lower basket will rest on the 4 bolts
6) Drill and tap 4 holes for the top basket section (3,6,9,12 on clock face)
7) Put a bolt in the holes to support the bottom basket
8) Cut the top off of the barrel so it's 4" tall to make the chain rack
9) The chain rack will rest on the 4 upper bolts
10) Cut slots in the chain rack wide enough for a chain link (1/2"x1-1/2" roughly) for each
11) Put the chains through the slots and run a small steel braid cable in a full circle around the top
12) Put a small steel braid cable throught the chains at the bottom in place of a ring

I got my measurements from here
http://www.innovadiscs.com/targets/discatcher-pro.html

So what do you guys think, would this work?
My Bag
Blizzard Ape
Prodigy D3 400G
Champion Groove
Champion Destroyer
Champion Mamba
Champion Glow Valkyrie
Lat64 Saint Opto
DX Viking
Lat64 River Gold
Prodigy F2 Clear
Cheetah DX
Classic Roc R+
Champion Classic Aviar
Omega AP
Wizard SSS
DX Birdie
zeramant86
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Groove

Re: Home Made Basket

Postby punch » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:28 am

It is pretty straight forward just start building. You are over thinking it. I would not bother tapping holes for the bottom support. Shelf or L brackets to support the bottom would be easier. I would plug the top of the PVC with a wood dowel glued in and just run a lag bolt thru the top of the barrel into the wood plug or use L brackets. Most people using plastic barrels use a plywood circle for the top to support the chains and the top of the barrel over it for weather proofing. Also keep in mind that if these are going to be in direct sunlight and leave them permanently in place you may run into problems with the PVC pole. PVC does not have a UV stabilizer in it so over time the pole will become brittle and break. If you plan to just leave these out you may want to invest in a galvanized fence post in place of the PVC. Also if you are making these to save on cost unless you have most of the main components it can run as much or more than just buying one. Chain is pretty expensive.
Rhyno - Shark3 - Leopard - Teebird - Mamba
punch
Noob

Postby zeramant86 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:18 pm

So I guess the next question with this is where is the best place to buy a portable metal basket. My preference would be a completely metal frame basket, but I do like the idea of portability with the others. Here's the two I've been looking at previously. The more I look at it, the more I like the mach lite.

http://infinitediscs.com/dga-mach-14/
http://infinitediscs.com/dga-mach-lite/
My Bag
Blizzard Ape
Prodigy D3 400G
Champion Groove
Champion Destroyer
Champion Mamba
Champion Glow Valkyrie
Lat64 Saint Opto
DX Viking
Lat64 River Gold
Prodigy F2 Clear
Cheetah DX
Classic Roc R+
Champion Classic Aviar
Omega AP
Wizard SSS
DX Birdie
zeramant86
Noob

Postby itlnstln » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:26 pm

The Mach Lite is a great basket. A friend of mine had one, and I think of all the portable/travel baskets, the Mach Lite is the closest to an actual basket. I have an Innova Skillshot and it's OK, but the fabric tears a little at the seams. I have a replacement cover, but I have not had to use it after about 6 years of ownership even with the minimal tearing. I still think the Mach Lite is better, though.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby zeramant86 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:36 am

I just wondered about the effect of the disc hitting the lower basket rim. It wouldn't really be like a true basket would it? I've never thrown on a fabric style basket like this. I like the look of the machlite because of the chains.
My Bag
Blizzard Ape
Prodigy D3 400G
Champion Groove
Champion Destroyer
Champion Mamba
Champion Glow Valkyrie
Lat64 Saint Opto
DX Viking
Lat64 River Gold
Prodigy F2 Clear
Cheetah DX
Classic Roc R+
Champion Classic Aviar
Omega AP
Wizard SSS
DX Birdie
zeramant86
Noob

Postby itlnstln » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:40 pm

zeramant86 wrote:I just wondered about the effect of the disc hitting the lower basket rim. It wouldn't really be like a true basket would it? I've never thrown on a fabric style basket like this. I like the look of the machlite because of the chains.

I've never really noticed a difference other than the basket portion being shorter.* You may get some putts that bounce out of the basket on occasion, but nothing that would take away from a normal putting experience. One thing I do like about the Skillshot, though, is that the space between the top of the basket and where the chains are attached at the top is a little shorter than most permanent targets. This gives you a smaller area to try to hit. I find this beneficial for practice as regular targets look huge in comparison. The Mach Lite is pretty much regulation size.

* From this point on, "basket" refers to the wire portion at the bottom of the target as a whole.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Postby zeramant86 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:21 am

Yeah, having a smaller than regulation target there would be better, but regulation would be okay too. The part that I would have the most concern with is the behavior of the chains in comparison to a course style basket. The skillshot is just straight chains, right? So does it still catch the same?
My Bag
Blizzard Ape
Prodigy D3 400G
Champion Groove
Champion Destroyer
Champion Mamba
Champion Glow Valkyrie
Lat64 Saint Opto
DX Viking
Lat64 River Gold
Prodigy F2 Clear
Cheetah DX
Classic Roc R+
Champion Classic Aviar
Omega AP
Wizard SSS
DX Birdie
zeramant86
Noob

Postby itlnstln » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:32 am

The Skillshot (and the Mach Lite, for that matter) catch just like any other basket in my experience. The only difference I have noticed is the occasional bounce-out of the basket portion due to lack of depth, but the chain behavior is fine.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Postby ForeverBlue232 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:46 am

itlnstln wrote:The Skillshot (and the Mach Lite, for that matter) catch just like any other basket in my experience. The only difference I have noticed is the occasional bounce-out of the basket portion due to lack of depth, but the chain behavior is fine.

I mostly use skill shots for a temporary course I've designed at my local FOP lodge. Like was said, the depth of the basket portion isn't the best, but the thing surprised me at its disc catching ability. I got most of them used from GGGT for about $105 shipped each. ($90+$15 shipping, roughly) They do set up and come down very quickly. I'd say unless you just enjoy the DIY process, the skill shots are a great option if you don't mind the lack of permanence.
JimW wrote:If the answer isn't PD you asked the wrong question.

**Flow**Northman**Amp**PD**Stag**Drone**Wasp**Mace**Suspect**Tangent**Anode**
ForeverBlue232
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Return to Equipment