putting

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

putting

Postby mikepowles » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Is it weird that I like to putt with overstable drivers? I still have a putter that I use for short upshots, or for driving with on short holes, but inside the circle I feel really comfortable with a driver in my hand. I know not many people do that, but is it really that bad? How important is it that I try to change this?
mikepowles
Noob

Favorite Disc: innova tern

Re: putting

Postby aerodriver » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:24 pm

It's important to try and change it because it's not typical. Otherwise, do what you feel most comfortable with. At some time you'll find yourself with a putt that just won't be driver worthy. I'm thinking of an up-a-hill putt that you either need to stick in the chains or stick on the top of the hill because otherwise you're going to roll off into a deeper ditch, OB, or not have as good of an opportunity in your next putt for par, or bogey, or double bogey, whatever the case may be.

If overstable is what you're used to, maybe a putter like a Zone or Rhyno will fill the void left behind by having something that hooks hard and is predictable but has a bit more ability to do the up-the-hill putt better.

When all else fails, you can learn proper putting techniques for inside and outside the circle that will improve your chances on hitting the first putt with a putter. Or alternatively, you can figure out how to drive within three feet of the basket and use the disc you drove with as your putter. But that would require you to be really, really good on every single hole.
PDGA #59212
NEFA #1910
Team Trilogy
aerodriver
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Latitude 64 Trident

Re: putting

Postby mikepowles » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:26 am

aerodriver wrote:If overstable is what you're used to, maybe a putter like a Zone or Rhyno will fill the void left behind by having something that hooks hard and is predictable but has a bit more ability to do the up-the-hill putt better.

Thanks. That is actually really helpful. I do normally putt with a putter, but i use the anode, a dead straight flyer. Love it for upshots, but I whenever i have a 20 foot putt, it seems like I miss with the anode, then if nobody is behind me, I grab a driver out of my bag, try the putt again, and nail it. So maybe I should keep the anode as a 100-150 foot upshot disc, and grab the zone or rhyno and see if that is a better putting putter for me?
mikepowles
Noob

Favorite Disc: innova tern

Return to General Discussion