Straddle putt - WOW

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Straddle putt - WOW

Postby KRooster » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:18 pm

I've always struggled with getting any kind of power or consistency with an inline or slightly staggered putting stance. Out to 20' I'm pretty consistent, but 25' and further I basically may as well just lay up. It has always been extremely difficult to get the disc out to 25' with a putt, and 30' was basically out of the question unless I just get lucky. I understand the idea of a weight shift, but I just can't get the power with it.

Today I tried a straddle putt for the first time, and WOW. After less than an hour of practice, I was hitting 25' putts with a decent amount of confidence and even moved out to practicing 30' putts (which I never even really spent time on with a normal putting stance because it was just too far to even consider practicing). Even when I missed I was close, and I was getting the disc out there on a laser line. With a little jump, I could even get the disc to the basket from around 40' with ok accuracy.

I think the straddle stance works because I can bring the disc down near my ankles with a mostly straight arm, and there is a great amount of distance from there to the release point over which to accelerate the disc. I can still utilize somewhat of a weight shift by pushing off the ground at greater distances. With an inline/staggered putting stance, you can only bring the disc back to around your waist area, and then your waist gets in the way; there is much less distance over which to accelerate the disc.

Anyone else notice this?

This could just be because I am unusually light, barely over 130 LB, so maybe I simply don't have enough weight to make a weight shift all that significant.
Pure/Jokeri Meteor/BuzzzSS/Buzzz/Wasp Xpress/FD/Teebird Roadrunner/OrionLS/OrionLF/PD
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: Straddle putt - WOW

Postby JR » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:14 pm

Straddle putts go way shorter than properly executed stagger putts. I have jump putted with a stagger stance and a putter to 170' but 150' is much more controllable.

It is not your body weight it is how you utilize the leg and waist area. The lighter you are the less the legs need to push or the farther the disc will go at full power because the leg muscles and the hips have less mass to move meaning you will move faster and the disc too so it will fly farther. In order to get good power with the stagger stance you do need to bend the rear knee a lot 90 degrees is fine and depending on the muscle power and your weight the optimum knee bend might be more or less than 90 degrees. When you lean back the front foot heel should be the only place on the ground and you need to start the forward weight shift immediately upon reaching the maximum rear knee bend angle. In the reach back the upper body needs to lean forward at the hips and you should get back to upright position at the release. You can increase distance a lot by raising the arm higher from a lower reach back into a high release with stagger stance too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Stringbean » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:31 pm

I am guessing upward torso movement is the main reason for the extra distance. You can do the same with a staggered stance but it happens more naturally with a straddle put.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby JR » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:01 pm

The back gets off easier with the stagger stance and the feeling is as easy to get for the upward movement when you push hard enough with the rear leg. After all the back and hips jump on a moving train because the legs plural have started the work earlier. Stick your dick at the pole like a heavy metal musician extending his wares is what i always say about the pelvis pushing forward. That takes care of the body weight shift and the torso rising.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby bsnone1 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:53 pm

I have pretty much the opposite - I can straddle putt nicely out to about 25 feet, as soon as I hit 30 I need to move to an inline putt to get the power needed to get the disc to the basket.

What I do like about the straddle putt was that it basically took away my left-right miss. I spent 45 straight days playing two rounds of 1025 a day, one in a straddle stance with a jump putt at 35 ft and one with an inline stance, no jump putts. Really helped my game considerably.
bsnone1
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Return to Technique