Why Couldn't I Throw A Saint

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Why Couldn't I Throw A Saint

Postby mgilbert » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:05 pm

I feel like I'm missing something - something I don't yet understand... I have a Latitude Diamand 160g, a River 162g, a Renegade 154g, and a Bolt 152g. I can throw all these discs, but I recently traded off a 150g Saint, because all could get it to do is hyzer bomb for 150 feet. My best throws are 250 to 300 feet with the aforementioned discs - that's an honest distance. So, why couldn't I throw that Saint??? I need a speed 9 or 10 Latitude manufactured disc at 150g to 155g...
mgilbert
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cobra

Re: Why Couldn't I Throw A Saint

Postby JR » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:26 pm

If it is not major slipping or something else i cannot think of now it must have been the most off disc into overstable direction ever.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby zeike524 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:03 pm

Don't have a good reason why its a meat hook for you. Maybe a fury would fit better for you than a saint. Or try to find an air saint...
zeike524
Noob

Postby mgilbert » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:09 pm

zeike524 wrote:Don't have a good reason why its a meat hook for you. Maybe a fury would fit better for you than a saint. Or try to find an air saint...

It was a 150g Air Saint. That's why I'm perplexed. And the lightest Fury I can find is 168 - no way I could throw that. I guess I'll stick to my River for now.
mgilbert
Noob

Postby Monocacy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Sometimes light/air discs mold up differently. For years I was puzzled by people describing their Leopard-like Rivers, because my 161-163 GL Rivers were quite stable with a strong fade. Recently I found some 161-3 Opto Rivers, and they are decidedly less stable than the GLs.

Nose angle could also be a factor, of course. Some discs fly much more stable with even a little nose-up. Sadly, I traded away my GL Rivers so I cannot compare how they would fly for me now.

For me, 150ish Air Saints fly very similar lines to Blizzard Kraits - quite stable with very little turn (unless thrown anny) and a strong fade. Kraits are consistently a bit longer for me, so that's what I carry.

Your distance is similar to mine, so you may find that slower overstable drivers work better (Teebirds, Eagles, etc). If Lat64 is not sponsoring you, why limit yourself to Lat64 discs? Valkyrie may be what you are looking for; Valks are available in Star, Champion, and DX in the 150s, and can cover a lot of different lines.

What kind of flight are you looking for?
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby mgilbert » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:45 pm

Monocacy wrote:Sometimes light/air discs mold up differently. For years I was puzzled by people describing their Leopard-like Rivers, because my 161-163 GL Rivers were quite stable with a strong fade. Recently I found some 161-3 Opto Rivers, and they are decidedly less stable than the GLs.

Nose angle could also be a factor, of course. Some discs fly much more stable with even a little nose-up. Sadly, I traded away my GL Rivers so I cannot compare how they would fly for me now.

For me, 150ish Air Saints fly very similar lines to Blizzard Kraits - quite stable with very little turn (unless thrown anny) and a strong fade. Kraits are consistently a bit longer for me, so that's what I carry.

Your distance is similar to mine, so you may find that slower overstable drivers work better (Teebirds, Eagles, etc). If Lat64 is not sponsoring you, why limit yourself to Lat64 discs? Valkyrie may be what you are looking for; Valks are available in Star, Champion, and DX in the 150s, and can cover a lot of different lines.

What kind of flight are you looking for?

I throw Latitude/Westside/Dynamic because the plastic is much better than Innova's plastic. It's got better grip, and it keeps it. Star and Champion plastic are too slick when new, and just get worse with age. I currently have Core, Diamond, River, Renegade, and Bolt discs, and can throw all these discs straight and level. I used to have a Blizzard Krait and Wraith, and a 150g Valkyrie, and could throw those straight as well. That's why I'm puzzled by the Saint I had. I'm looking to get a Core, Vision, Trespass, and King - slightly more stable than what I have.
mgilbert
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:25 pm

Discs vary and with the extreme temperature variations in Swedish Lapland throughout the year Lat is not the most consistent manufacturer. My gl and opto Rivers are faster more lss Leos with the opto being more hss and lss. The opposite of monocacy. Par for the course for most discs from most manufacturers. For tackier feel than gl try Vibram xlink that dries in a year Discraft flx that does not dry and fondling all the Gateway stuff because they are not always named properly. Some of them are very grippy. I have a supersoft Warlock that leaves a residue to the hand from just touching it that lasts for a few minutes when throwing another slick disc. Beeswax helps from hearsay Pow'r Tac works wonders. Electrical warmers help a lot in cold weather if they are powerful meaning hot enough in a small insulated space that you can push your fingers into.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique