Latitude Gold Versus Opto

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Latitude Gold Versus Opto

Postby mgilbert » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:49 pm

Which is considered more stable - Latitude 64 Gold Line plastic or Opto? How much difference is there in that stability?
mgilbert
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cobra

Re: Latitude Gold Versus Opto

Postby JR » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:29 pm

Opto overwhelmingly on average but individual variations can be ridiculous and make the difference between individual discs go topsy turvy in rare cases.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby zeike524 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:16 am

Generally the opto is more stable than the gold line. The gold line also generally beats i much faster than opto. The difference is not so noticeable that it doesnt like throwing a different mold though.
zeike524
Noob

Postby Torg » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:38 am

I've had a bunch of gold line, a couple recycled and one Opto. So far there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to what is more stable. I have one GL that is awesomely stable and the opto is just like the other GLs. The opto also beat in far faster even though I use it a lot less. The recycled ones I have thrown (3 so far) have all been very similar to the GL with a hint more stability. I wish my GL saint beat in faster. I keep hoping but it just isn't happening. I am tempted to throw it at a wall for a bit. I really would like to have a flippy Saint instead of having to carry another mold.
Torg
Tree Magnet

Postby mgilbert » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:47 am

Torg wrote:I've had a bunch of gold line, a couple recycled and one Opto. So far there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to what is more stable. I have one GL that is awesomely stable and the opto is just like the other GLs. The opto also beat in far faster even though I use it a lot less. The recycled ones I have thrown (3 so far) have all been very similar to the GL with a hint more stability. I wish my GL saint beat in faster. I keep hoping but it just isn't happening. I am tempted to throw it at a wall for a bit. I really would like to have a flippy Saint instead of having to carry another mold.

I had a 150g Saint, and it was so stable that all I could get it to do was hyzer bomb. I finally got rid of it. I've got another one ordered, though, hoping the first one was just inconsistent. I've heard that you can go around the disc, bending the rim of the disc down to make the disc more understable. Might be worth a try. I've thought of heating a disc up and bending the rim down, but I haven't tried it.
mgilbert
Noob

Postby zeike524 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:04 am

flippy saint would be a fury
zeike524
Noob

Postby mgilbert » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:08 am

zeike524 wrote:flippy saint would be a fury

Yeah, except the Saint can be had in Opto Air at 150g for us older players with slower arms. The lightest Fury I can find is 168g. I know I can't throw that.
mgilbert
Noob

Postby zeike524 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:37 pm

Just trying to help and give opinions. I only throw lat 64 dynamic discs and westside so just like i said just trying to help and say what i have seen.
zeike524
Noob

Postby zeike524 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:38 pm

Have you tried a diamond?
zeike524
Noob

Postby mgilbert » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:17 pm

zeike524 wrote:Have you tried a diamond?

Yeah, I have two - a 148g and a 160g. I also have a 162g River. I've outgrown the 148g. It just flips.
mgilbert
Noob

Postby BentElbow11 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:47 pm

Heavier Diamonds (155g+) are workable. I use them for straight no fade fairway shots where I have poor footing.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby zeike524 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:43 am

They are releasing an air escape in the near future....may work for you may not?
zeike524
Noob

Postby mgilbert » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:54 am

zeike524 wrote:They are releasing an air escape in the near future....may work for you may not?

Yes, I think it just might be a good disc for me. The specs look about right. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I bought an Opto Air Saint, and it was so overstable I could only throw it 150 feet, and it hyzer bombed the whole way. That just didn't seem right, so I just bought another Saint. I received it yesterday, and although it was windy, I tried throwing it a few times. Even with the wind to my back, it did much better. into a headwind, it was almost too understable. In fact, it seemed like a completely different disc. I won't know for sure until I can throw it in calm conditions, but I feel pretty sure it'll work well for me. I intend to post after I've had more experience with it, and ask for some opinions on how two discs that are supposed to be the same can be so different. I'm beginning to think that disc ratings are to be taken with a grain of salt.
mgilbert
Noob

Postby BentElbow11 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:25 pm

Interesting...was there a big spread in weight of the 2 Saints you were throwing? Even in Opto Air discs it can make a noticeable difference. The other being the wind conditions, especially when throwing lighter weight 'Air' discs. The Saint is a pretty easy disc to throw straight and fairly long, especially in Opto Air. Good luck.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby mgilbert » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:39 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:Interesting...was there a big spread in weight of the 2 Saints you were throwing? Even in Opto Air discs it can make a noticeable difference. The other being the wind conditions, especially when throwing lighter weight 'Air' discs. The Saint is a pretty easy disc to throw straight and fairly long, especially in Opto Air. Good luck.

The first one was 150g, and the second one is 148g. Both were being thrown late in the evening in dead calm air - the only way to really compare two discs. I took the new one back out today, and if I throw it flat, it turns right, and never comes back, traveling about 250', landing 30 or 40 feet or more to the right of the throw line with no fade back whatsoever. If I put a few degrees of hyzer on it on release, it straightens up, turns a little right, and fades back to the left for a nice, straight "S" throw. The first sticky topic in this category is about inconsistencies in Latitude molds. Interesting read.

I've also got a Bolt and a King. The King is supposed to be more stable. It isn't. If I don't release the King on a hyzer, it turns right and never comes back, landing with no fade, well right of the throw line. The Bolt tends to go straight if released flat. Maybe I just throw weird.
mgilbert
Noob

Next

Return to Equipment