Full Bag and "Quick Round" Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Full Bag and "Quick Round" Bag

Postby TwoChain » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:16 pm

Hey everyone, this is my first post EVER on this forum and I shoot RHBH. I read it a lot and think it's awesome. Over the summer I acquire tons of discs. I have friends who litterally care like 50 discs but use only 4. I really think it's better to have less discs but I am having troubles deciding what to cut.

---------------
My Full Bag
---------------

Overstable Distance Drivers:
Glow Champ Wraith (flys like a boss)
(158) Blizzard Wraith (very straight and predictable with no wind)
Z Avenger (I've had some awesome straight shots with this disc but it's starting to turn over)
(~172) Star Destroyer (can turn over in the wind but pretty os)

Stable Distance Drivers:
Star Valkyrie (mainly used for s curve, or minor fade left)
Pro Katana (had some amazing drives with tons of distance but is very flippy and turns over a lot, dont trust in wind, seems to hyzer flip ok)

Understable Distance Drivers:
Z Avenger SS (hyzer flip, fades left)
Glo Avenger SS (always goes right)
Glo Road Runner (s curve disc, can be used to turnover)
Gold Bolt (good s curve disc, goes right then HARD left)
Z Nuke SS (last disc I bought, like the road runner but more likely to turn left)

Overstable Fairway:
Echo Teebird (somewhat overstable, can be put on a anny)

Mid-Range:
Glo Buzzz
Camp Roc3

Putters:
Super Soft Wizard
Vibram VP

---------------

OK, so I have TONS of understable discs. All are somewhat different. But I feel like it's too much to hall around. When I play at lunch I take only 5 discs with me.

---------------
Quick Bag
---------------

Z Avenger (overstable driver)
Glo Road Runner (understable driver)
Eco Teebird (fairway driver)
Roc3 (mid-range)
VP (putter)

---------------

Now I find that when I play with my "full bag" I reach for the discs that I use at lunch more because I am better at them. However, there are some discs in my full bag which are sort of utilities that I still enjoy.

Since I play am tees, I actually have been driving with my VP and Roc3 more and more. I can get the VP to almost go 200 and a predictable hyzer. And the Roc3 is a nice straight / subtle right shot. But I don't feel like I need my buzz b/c I know how to hyzer the Roc3 too.

Any suggestions on what I could trim. Maybe even something that would all out replace something? I considered replacing the Z Avenger with the Destroyer and using my PD instead of a Teebird in my short bag. I love the Pro Katana, it goes super far (I used to use a pro wraith), but its just sort of chaotic.

I love to play. I have been around +1 on my local courses lately. I have too many discs in my trunk and I dont feel like anyone needs more than 8 discs so I want to trim down a bit. But I also love trying new discs.

Thanks for the input!!!
RHBH: VP > KC Pro Roc > Echo Teebird > Pro Katana > Echo Wraith
TwoChain
Noob

Favorite Disc: KC Pro Roc

Re: Full Bag and "Quick Round" Bag

Postby aerodriver » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:41 pm

Seems like you could go with just Wraiths in your distance spot in different stages of wear. As you said, you could get rid of some of the understable discs. I would probably go with one straight to right and one turnover/roller driver but keep the Bolt for extra distance when you can get it, and go from 5 spots to 3 in your bag. Of your discs I would decide which of the Avenger SS you want to keep, the Roadrunner, and the Bolt.

You might want to work in some more Teebirds if you like them so much. That or include some more line-shaping fairway drivers. Mids look good, but I found the transition from Buzzz to Roc mold odd, even if there are different flight paths with the Roc fading sooner, longer than a Buzzz. If you're comfortable with your putter situation, stick with it. Seems like you have it pretty much covered.
PDGA #59212
NEFA #1910
Team Trilogy
aerodriver
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Westside Warship

Postby JR » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:56 am

Avengers are designed to s curve so you may not power it enough so faster discs suffer a lot when you cannot power up. An overstable disc should not turn so you need a more overstable disc or a replacement. Roadrunner at that power i assume you are at should be ok. Roc normally and Buzz for harder fades and winds. There is nothing wrong with two different kinds of putters. If you even need distance drivers should be determined by round results. The accuracy consistency and distance of Avenger and rr vs distance driver is a good test. It is prudent to mind winds and tiring out and comparison of distance can help with the decision of which if any distance driver should be used.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby TwoChain » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:01 am

Thanks for the advice.

JR:
I've got my Avenger to go pretty far! I've gotten a few birdies on up hill 350 ft holes. The times it turns over are long down hill shots in the wind. Its mostly my fault for trying to anhyzer it. You're saying I could use the Z Avenger on an anhyzer instead of the rr? I love the rr, but it is flippy.

My distance seems to fluctuate.

aerodriver:
I do like the suggestion of using a wraith! I want to try an Echo Wraith. I have a Leopard, that is a nice hyzer flip disc, but it is harder to control for me. Teebird will always be in my bag! I have an OS Glow Teebird for night discing and a Champ Metal Flake Teebird on my wall (ace disc). I used to have a regular champ but it hit a tree and went perpendicular in the woods. Oh, almost forgot, I have a DX Glow Teebird, it always goes right, I dont like it that much, the Glow Avenger SS is a way better right fade disc.

Why did you say it's weird to have a Buzzz / Roc?
TwoChain
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:26 pm

Rr is supposed to flip but giving it hyzer it flips to flat and straighter finishing than the Avenger which can be annied. It takes more power to make it flip but because it is more overstable than the rr it moves less right annied which is great for placement and anny then flat landing shots. Together they cover many if not all lines. Wraith Orc or Sl for even less power hungry discs might be ok for distance. But frankly Beast should suite you best. As long as it is not dx. I have not thrown my blizzard that i got from an online store and it has a drooping outside edge and much less concavity in the wing so i am wary of it because it looks super flippy. Not having seen others idk if they are flippy.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby TwoChain » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:52 am

OK, after the advice above I did some refactoring. I came up with a selection that would fit into something like the Fade 12 disc bag. This keeps my discs limited

OS Driver:

* Z Avenger / Echo Wraith / Star Destroyer (straight subtle fade left)
* Glow Wraith / Nuke (hook)

S Driver

* Gold Bolt (hard finish left, roller)
* Star Valk / Camp Beast (control s, subtle left, hold anny)
* Pro Katana

US Driver:

* Glow Avenger SS (put on hyzer and fades right)
* Glow Road Runner (bomb, straight hyzer flip)

Fairway

* Echo Teebird (straight with subtle fade left, holds anny)

Mid-Range

* KC 12x Roc (short / accurate driver)
* Roc3 (short straight drives, great approach disc)

Putter:

* Soft Wizard (good long range putter)
* VP (good short range putter and short driver)

----

Still tweaking it a little. I used to use a glide and a buzzz for my mid. Might put the glide back in the bag after I narrow down a roc. Also considering a leopard to replace an S disc.
TwoChain
Noob

Postby JR » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:28 am

There are probably overlapping discs there and i would do a shootout for every role on a field and then bring one or two that cover all lines to a course see what happens to your score for a few rounds at least.

A quick round is a one disc round. Like with a Comet Coyote Roc Tangent Buzz etc.

Leo likes to anny or hyzet flip to flat. A high outer edge Star might s curve but others are not suitable.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion