FUN discs

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

FUN discs

Postby mikepowles » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:36 am

What is a really fun disc to throw? I don't really need anything specific, but I am dying to try out something new. I throw my drivers about 375 if that makes a difference. Again, just looking for something I will really have fun throwing.
mikepowles
Noob

Favorite Disc: innova tern

Re: FUN discs

Postby PMantle » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:42 am

Nothing is more fun to me than understable discs. Love throwing my Underworld on a high anny and watch it lock on and ride it out around a group of trees.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby mikepowles » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:20 am

PMantle wrote:Nothing is more fun to me than understable discs. Love throwing my Underworld on a high anny and watch it lock on and ride it out around a group of trees.

Is the underworld your number one "fun" disc? it looks pretty cool, really understable and a high glide rating. How is the glide for you?
mikepowles
Noob

Favorite Disc: innova tern

Postby PMantle » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:43 am

mikepowles wrote:
PMantle wrote:Nothing is more fun to me than understable discs. Love throwing my Underworld on a high anny and watch it lock on and ride it out around a group of trees.

Is the underworld your number one "fun" disc? it looks pretty cool, really understable and a high glide rating. How is the glide for you?

Pretty much, yeah. The glide is as high as any disc I've thrown. For shorter shots, I love throwing Meteors. Tried the Tursas, but the two I've thrown were not as understable as advertised.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby ranger » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:47 am

The king is super fun

I can't call it useful but it's definitely fun to toss around
ranger
Noob

Favorite Disc: Nuke

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:23 am

mikepowles wrote:What is a really fun disc to throw? I don't really need anything specific, but I am dying to try out something new. I throw my drivers about 375 if that makes a difference. Again, just looking for something I will really have fun throwing.

Fun? The funnest disc is one which shocks or surprises your playing group. It may be an oddity (optomizer, aerobie) or highly collectible (1st run Buzzz or USDGC Roc) or a new disc/prototype no one has seen.

More fun than the disc is the shot you choose. Rollers and overheads are always fun at least until they finish. A spike hyzer over the top rather than the obvious short, tight tunnel is fun (if you have the power to pull it off). Imagine how fun an off-hand, blindfolded ace would be.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby jubuttib » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:38 pm

Praxis is just about the most fun disc I've ever thrown, as well as the best Fastback style disc I've thrown.

The most fun flying "thing" I've thrown is easily the Aerobie Pro ring, that thing is just endless amusement. =)

Out of golf discs I'd probably pick a seasoned X Comet, it's incredible fun to just play one disc rounds with those.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Hyzerline49 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:12 pm

the most enjoyable thing in disc golf for me is watching a huge distance line ride out in the wind. i love to throw proto D3's for max D, however i've been throwing 160 gram VIP air giants with success lately too. not sure about the hang time, but i can push them out over 600 (digital range finder).
Forces - Orcs - Banshees - Eagles - Wasps - Rocs - Zones - Wizards
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Roc

Postby JR » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:16 am

To me fun is seeing the discs do whar you planned them to do. So the disc needs to be reliable in most preferably all conditions easy to rip cleanly and minimizing user error. Normally this means not too much glide much hss and negligible lss. Some putters ard reasonably easy to release cleanly and are close in the other considerations. More mids than putters hit the sweet spot for straight shots. Few drivers are even good for straight shots. Many discs in each class are great for overstable and undrstable flights.

Too many discs classify by the above criteria to mention.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:25 am

Those kinda discs (not too much glide, lots of HSS and negligible LSS) are great for playing, but they're not that much fun to throw (for me, obviously), because they're kinda limited in their behavior. Sure, I get fun out of them since it's fun to score well, but I tend to get about as much fun out of scoring horribly with an Ultra-Star or a Praxis, because there act of throwing the disc that's kinda wayward and making it submit to your will (or coerce at least) is the source of fun. =)

Or put it this way: On an open field where I have nothing to aim at and no scores to think about, I get more fun out of a disc that does a lot of stuff in the air, than out of a disc that just flies straight and holds the angle no matter what I do. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby JR » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:00 pm

Then there is the Comet.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:07 pm

With the Comet the fun definitely comes from the amazing glide and how you can force it to turn even if it's normally very HSS (just sensitive). Admittedly a seasoned X Comet is a lot more fun than a new Z Comet. =)
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Return to Equipment