Prevent Lost Discs

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Prevent Lost Discs

Postby zeramant86 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:24 pm

So I'm curious about ways that people are using to keep from losing their discs. Aside from don't throw them terribly or suck at disc golf. I've noticed that since my form is still alil sketchy, I've thrown some bad shots on courses I've never played before. So what do you do to keep from losing discs at a beginner level on wooded courses in the fall? I'm not saying that any of these are perfect ideas, just curious about what works and what is a gimmick.

1) We tend to use a spotter
2) I try to buy bright colored discs that don't match surroundings
3) Always watch your disc until it stops
4) Disc Beeper- http://infinitediscs.com/disc-beeper/
5) Disc Lights- http://infinitediscs.com/disc-lights/
6) Stick-N-Find- http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/stick ... n-stickers

For Night
5) Disc Lights- http://infinitediscs.com/disc-lights/
7) Glow Paint- http://glowinc.com/detail.aspx?ID=51

I haven't used 4-6, but I'd be more likely to try 4 I think. Leaves could still cover the light. Also, I'm curious to hear if anyone is using #6. It seems interesting and probably a thought we've all had at some point.
My Bag
Blizzard Ape
Prodigy D3 400G
Champion Groove
Champion Destroyer
Champion Mamba
Champion Glow Valkyrie
Lat64 Saint Opto
DX Viking
Lat64 River Gold
Prodigy F2 Clear
Cheetah DX
Classic Roc R+
Champion Classic Aviar
Omega AP
Wizard SSS
DX Birdie
zeramant86
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Groove

Re: Prevent Lost Discs

Postby itlnstln » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:20 pm

How do you lose your discs? I always find mine; the fairways are always nice and manicured...

Ahem...

If you play with a group, spotters are a must. Unfortunately, I rarely have a spotter since I usually DG solo. Really, I would try 4 or 6 on your list. 4 would be out, for me, in its current form since it weighs 6 grams and it's a bit bulky, but the idea is sound (see what I did there?). 6 would be a great idea if I could buy one for each of my long distance drivers, but they're pricey. I've been pondering devices like this for some time. I typically play solo and have a penchant for new/difficult/novel shots that occasionally don't work out so well. I always thought that maybe RFID might work, but I don't know how far from the receiver a signal could be detected. The Stick-N-Find would be great, though, especially if it were cheaper.

Just for the record (and if I'm not mistaken), I don't think you can have anything affixed to the disc in PDGA-sanctioned play, so remember to take any of these off your discs in tourney play.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby zeramant86 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:15 pm

I generally play with 2 others. One guy is really good about spotting but he usually tees after me, and I walk out to spot for him. The other guy is an ADHD nightmare. He tees then sprints down the fairway standing in your line, and he never spots your throws. Actually he needs to learn basic etiquette, but that's another story. I've nearly hit him on tunnel drives at 175'-225' because he was between me and the tee. At this point I just throw. If he gets hit so be it, but I digress.

4 does seem a tad bulky, 6 would be good based on size and weight if it were circular.

You're correct for pdga that wouldn't be allowed, but I'm nowhere near there yet.

Also for RFID, it depends on the type you are using.
http://www.rfidlabeling.com/tag_types.html
The kind we all think of (square antenna style sticker in dvd cases) are passive tags. The range on those can't really exceed 2 meters without being huge.
My Bag
Blizzard Ape
Prodigy D3 400G
Champion Groove
Champion Destroyer
Champion Mamba
Champion Glow Valkyrie
Lat64 Saint Opto
DX Viking
Lat64 River Gold
Prodigy F2 Clear
Cheetah DX
Classic Roc R+
Champion Classic Aviar
Omega AP
Wizard SSS
DX Birdie
zeramant86
Noob

Postby discmonkey42 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:26 pm

If you play hard courses, especially when the foliage is thick, sometimes you will loose a disc. Gonna happen, can't let it bother you. For me, I just don't carry irreplaceable discs anymore. The first run Buzzz's etc. are all collecting dust in the garage for just this reason. Also a great reason to stick with base plastic if replacing premium discs isn't in the budget.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby JR » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:28 am

Look where the disc goes how fast in which angle relative to the horizon or an easy to find object and deduce the likely landing area and skips. And which obstacles could have deflected the disc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby zeramant86 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:37 am

Yeah, the biggest issue I have is on doglegs, where the disc curves out of view. Also now that leaves are falling it gets more challenging since they will actually slide under the leaves and stop there. Shots where I have line of sight, aren't an issue as I can track and spot those. I will say this though, the blizzard discs are terrible. I've gotten my ape stuck several times. Due to it's low weight (135g) it sits in tree branches and doesn't fall to the ground all the time. Not planning on ever getting another blizzard because of that and the way the handle wind.
My Bag
Blizzard Ape
Prodigy D3 400G
Champion Groove
Champion Destroyer
Champion Mamba
Champion Glow Valkyrie
Lat64 Saint Opto
DX Viking
Lat64 River Gold
Prodigy F2 Clear
Cheetah DX
Classic Roc R+
Champion Classic Aviar
Omega AP
Wizard SSS
DX Birdie
zeramant86
Noob

Postby JR » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:35 am

Think leaves are bad -try snow. At times dry blown snow can mask the entry point.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Mark Ellis » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:42 am

When a disc wants to get lost it will. Just today I watched a long drive shank into the schuul, noted where it went, walked straight to it. 5 of us were looking. After 10 minutes we found it. It was exactly where I thought it was but buried so it could only be seen from one angle and only a sliver was showing. I near stepped on it a dozen times. Even knowing where it had to be (I saw it hit a particular bush) it was amazing we found it given how well it was hidden.

Paying attention and BRIGHT colors are very important. I have given up on florescent yellows and greens. Sure they are bright but not bright enough. In sunlight they still blend in. Hot pink, red, orange and blue are the best colors. They are the only colors in my bag.

Some players have an innate ability to find discs. Darren Harper, Critter Bill Themm and Al Schack (all Pros from my area) are semi magical. Even they lose discs occasionally.

Three tricks I have learned help a lot. When looking for a disc you always have your best guess of where it landed (even around a blind corner you still have a best guess). Put your bag down on this spot while you look. The bag becomes your hub. Walk in expanding circles around it. It is rare that you are more than 40 feet off your best guess ( 80 foot diameter) . The bag keeps your search centered. Sometimes you see a group spread out hundreds of feet looking aimlessly. That is a clueless group.

The 2nd trick is from Schack. If the disc isn't where it should be when you are looking down, LOOK UP. A disc in a tree or a bush above ground can hide as well as any thicket. This is the time where the 40 foot circle gets violated. You know where the disc should have landed. It didn't get there because the tree snatched it out of the air 60 or 100 feet short of its natural line.

The 3rd trick is before giving up on a search have the thrower return to the tee pad and direct the group where to look. Sometimes you think the disc landed by a tree or particular area but once down to that area you pick the wrong spot. It was in front of a tree after all, just a different tree.

When a disc is valuable enough that after losing it you go back the next day to search some more an advanced effort takes 2 people. You send your buddy down to spot while you throw a handful of discs, attempting to exactly replicate the throw which lead to the loss. Wherever your discs land is probably pretty close to their lost one.

I lost a beloved anhyzer driver (1st run Players Cup Tracker) at Jim Kenner's private course a couple weeks ago. It buried in a pricker-intensive thicket past the basket. My group all lost skin searching but anhyzer shots are the most unpredictable once they leave your sight. Warming up on this hole last Thursday I threw a similar looking shot and knew if it didn't ace it was heading for the thicket. When my friend found this disc it lead me to where my lost one was. Both hyzered out and were right and deep of where I expected then to be.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby iacas » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:52 am

Mark Ellis wrote:Paying attention and BRIGHT colors are very important. I have given up on florescent yellows and greens. Sure they are bright but not bright enough. In sunlight they still blend in. Hot pink, red, orange and blue are the best colors. They are the only colors in my bag.

I agree with everything else you said, but YMMV with orange and red, particularly in the fall when leaves are down. Of the five discs I've looked for longer than five minutes before finding, four of them have been red (and five of them have been my brother-in-law's :D).
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Return to Equipment