Attempting to begin disc golf, need help.

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Attempting to begin disc golf, need help.

Postby BentElbow11 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:47 pm

Well, that's one way of looking at it.

So, when a beginner likes a DX Teebird, DX Eagle, etc and then steps up to a Champ or Star, they are faced with a dilema...such as why is it flying so differently from their DX version? That's not a good thing for a beginner who's still working out throwing technique. The alternative is to be replacing cheap plastic constantly. I don't know of many beginners going that route. Any novice can pick up a disc in base and premium plastic and know immediately which one's the better disc and will hold up to course conditions.

Anyway, my main point, based on an earlier post in this thread, is that there's no need for beginners to avoid premium plastics unless they're cost wary when just starting out. There are many advantages to using premium plastic however, durability and retention of stability/flight characteristics being two that come to mind.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Re: Attempting to begin disc golf, need help.

Postby Yig » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:22 pm

Not to continue to steer this towards a plastic vs plastic battle, but it has been my experience , and from what I've read , that for a given disc the DX is the least stable, the Star is more stable than DX , and Champion is the most stable.

Champion plastic lasts the longest/takes the longest before it changes flight, Star is second, DX changes/gets beat up the quickest.

Champion plastic is awesome with regard to it's longevity. I lost a few Champs years ago that I had used for years, if I still had them I bet they would still be in good shape.

My advice to a beginner would be get a low-to-mid weight (160g or so) Mako or Mako3 . Play with that disc exclusively for at least a season. You will learn alot , and you won't get confused by switching from disc to disc.

Both of those discs are extremely neutral and are not too high of a speed rating for new players. This means you will be able to throw them like they were meant to be thrown, and any variation from a straight flight is due to how YOU are throwing the disc, not some inherent characteristic of the disc.

Discs that have inherent curve/turn tendencies make it hard for beginners because they teach you to rely on the disc rather than learn how to throw the right way.

For example, when I first started playing I had a friend that used a DX Stingray. He soon was able to outdrive the group we played with. Once other people started using fairway drivers and were able to throw as far or further than he did, he tried throwing a fairway driver ( I forget what it was , a Teebird or Banshee I think) . He could throw his Stingray much further . His tendency to count on the Stingray's Hi Speed Turn (lack of stability/unstable disc) totally screwed him up when he tried to go to a longer range , more stable disc.

Sure, had we known better, he could have used a Cheetah, or some other unstable fairway driver and achieved better results, but that's not the point. The point is he learned a bad habit from using a disc that naturally flew anhyzer and throwing it with hyzer netted a result of a mild S curve . Sure, it worked for him in the beginning, but in the end he gave up playing disc golf , I think mainly due to ignorance and poor original habits.

Just my $0.02
DX Birdie 175g, Opto Pure 170g, VIP Warship 168g, DX Leopard 146g, Medium Trak 157g, Medium Lace 163g, RHBH , RHFH , RHOH

Just friggin do it.
Yig
Noob

Favorite Disc: Old Champ Cobra

Previous

Return to Equipment