Less is more

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Less is more

Postby LuckyEagle405 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:06 pm

So now that iv been playing awhile iv come to appreciate dx plastic more. Dx rocs and aviars have become a staple in my bag. But iv yet to dabble in drivers. What are your favorite fairway and distance drivers in dx plastic. And what kind of weights do you use? Max weight on windy days and what on calm days?
Grip it and Rip it
LuckyEagle405
Noob

Favorite Disc: Truth

Re: Less is more

Postby aerodriver » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:26 pm

I have two go-to DX Beasts in lighter weights, 162g for my straight, max D shots and 165g that's beat in and does turnovers and rollers for me.
PDGA #59212
NEFA #1910
Team Trilogy
aerodriver
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Westside Warship

Postby JR » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:06 am

Frankly dx and over speed seven do not mix unless you want a roller. Tb and Eagle are the best dx discs out of drivers.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby slowarm » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:38 am

DX Wraith/Destroyer go far, but they break into rollers too fast. DX Firebird is good - first as a meathook and after some damage as a stable control driver. DX TB and Gazelle are my favorites out of DX.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby Mark Ellis » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:01 am

Less ain't more. Just like in math class, less is less. :D

Transitioning to candy plastic takes time and effort but every good player I know uses candy drivers. The next tree you smash with your favorite base plastic driver will remind you why this is true.

Upgrade your arsenal.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby JR » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:58 pm

Spoken like a Discraft sponsored player hehe. Driver Pro is medium grade plastic that is surprisingly durable despite not being candy. Way better than x plastic. I have had a 166 pro Beast stay like new for three years including tree hits.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby limonsock » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:16 am

JR wrote:Frankly dx and over speed seven do not mix unless you want a roller.

I have never agreed with you more
Current bag is sloppy yet fun; Judges, comet, wasp, FD's, river?, saint?, PD's, Flow, D1, Nuke, ...
limonsock
Noob

Favorite Disc: today its a comet

Postby BentElbow11 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:44 am

JR wrote:Spoken like a Discraft sponsored player hehe. Driver Pro is medium grade plastic that is surprisingly durable despite not being candy. Way better than x plastic. I have had a 166 pro Beast stay like new for three years including tree hits.

Elite X is harder than Pro, and more durable in my experience, but not by much. Not a fan of either. I don't like feeling a torn up rim and edge every time I throw a disc, especially drivers.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:20 am

Sanding helps with rough edges. X in Comets Buzzes and Storms is more pliable malleable and less durable than driver pro. There are softer Pro blends than the X though.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Star Shark » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:48 am

DX StarFire holds up pretty well
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby BentElbow11 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:34 pm

I don't like the idea of discs degrading from day one to the point of needing constant replacement. Not only the plastic, but the flight is degrading the whole time too with base plastic. What for? The mfgrs have an obvious incentive to saturate the market with several plastic variants of the same mold, price point factoring in too.

As a disc golfer, it makes sense to me to just move on to the good stuff and not have to deal with cheap plastic and its rapid wear. If Champ or Star is too overstable for your favorite disc, either go down in weight or find another similar mold in premium plastic. There are now more molds than ever to choose from and so much overlap, that it shouldn't be a problem. You can then use your favorite disc(s) for years instead of months.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:27 pm

The founder of this site Blake_t answered that question in detail in one of the stickies.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BentElbow11 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:58 pm

You mean the advantages of the same mold in new, slightly worn, and beat condition? I prefer having discs of different stability in the bag that won't change with use, FWIW. Example of my current setup: QOLF, Lucid Renegade, Champ Roadrunner...Champ Teebird, VIP Underworld...Z Hornet, Proton Tangent, Proton Anode...base plastic putters.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:20 am

With ever better flying premium plastic disc becoming available all the time the benefits of cycling base plastic discs become fewer. For me having the same shape in the disc for left straight and right shots is not mandatory nor sought after but it might be for some. Base plastic tend to have ok grip tackiness wise and recently there have been tackier and tackier primo plastics and rubber becoming available. Price depends on the mold and how often you lose discs. Rocs are very long lasting in dx. At least is you can live with sanded smoother damaged discs. Putters and mids ladt longer and still around rocks and broken glass dx will not last.

I have had a z Pred get sliced a fifth of an inch deep on the first throw probably from hitting broken glass hyzered. Lose a disc and base plastic is cheaper but it takes a longer time to break it in where getting more discs and cycling longer or giving discs to friends to break them in.

I have never been exclusively and mostly not much of a cycling player. I have tried it and with each year i can fill the gaps even with tacky discs that are primo. I have always made by with primo discs with occasional blow ups. The danger of which gets less each year.

Even primo discs change especially on rocky courses. Some molds and slower speeds last longer than others. Leos in champ are slick in adverse conditions but last years.

I would go as far as saying that now people can manage to be lazy and buy just right flying primo discs that are not compromises in grip and durability. Is this the first year for that i think not if you can manipulate flight.

Edit late turns are not easy to get with primo discs but are easier with base plastics. That difference has not been bridged so well.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby itlnstln » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:37 am

It's so rocky around here that I have to cycle premium plastics. Star plastic is great for cycling. I've become especially adept at repairing discs using heat to "remold" gouged disc edges.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Next

Return to Equipment