Better Plastics

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Better Plastics

Postby mgilbert » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:13 am

I'd like some opinions on plastics. So far, the best plastics I've found are those made by Latitude, which includes Westside and Dynamic Discs. The Opto and Gold lines are durable, but still have good grip. Can any other manufacturer touch them?
Last edited by mgilbert on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
mgilbert
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cobra

Re: Better Plastics

Postby Jeronimo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:12 pm

Absolutely. A lot of Innova's CFR plastic is unbelievably good. Pinnacle (I think?) from Legacy has a reputation of being awesome. MVP has some pretty sick plastic between the Electron and Neutron blends... The list goes on, it really is a matter of preference. Every plastic has its trade off too. Innova Pro and Discraft Elite X are some of the longest flying & best gripping available, but they both ding up pretty quickly. Higher grade plastics like Opto, Z, Champion, Electron all suffer a little in the glide and sometimes grip departments, but they last foreveeeeeeeer. Gold, Star, ESP, Neutron, Pinnacle(?) are all a mix of the aforementioned blends and find a very good balance (though I don't believe they deserve the premium price tag...).

I like some blends of Opto, I like some blends of Champion, rarely do I like Gold/Star, but I still love Pro type blends (RIP Grip plastic...). The one common denominator is that for every manufacturer, there has been a run or more from their blends that is completely different than typical which I either end up hating or loving. Happens. All. The. Friggin. TIME. ARGH.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby mgilbert » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:37 pm

Jeronimo wrote:Absolutely. A lot of Innova's CFR plastic is unbelievably good. Pinnacle (I think?) from Legacy has a reputation of being awesome. MVP has some pretty sick plastic between the Electron and Neutron blends... The list goes on, it really is a matter of preference. Every plastic has its trade off too. Innova Pro and Discraft Elite X are some of the longest flying & best gripping available, but they both ding up pretty quickly. Higher grade plastics like Opto, Z, Champion, Electron all suffer a little in the glide and sometimes grip departments, but they last foreveeeeeeeer. Gold, Star, ESP, Neutron, Pinnacle(?) are all a mix of the aforementioned blends and find a very good balance (though I don't believe they deserve the premium price tag...).

I like some blends of Opto, I like some blends of Champion, rarely do I like Gold/Star, but I still love Pro type blends (RIP Grip plastic...). The one common denominator is that for every manufacturer, there has been a run or more from their blends that is completely different than typical which I either end up hating or loving. Happens. All. The. Friggin. TIME. ARGH.

Sounds like there is inconsistency in plastics just as there is inconsistency in every other aspect of disc manufacturing. I've had two 148g Saints. The first was so overstable that all I could get it to do was hyzer bomb. The second is so understable that it flips if I don't nail the throw. Thanks for the info.
mgilbert
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cobra

Postby JR » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:51 pm

Prodigy and Prodiscus have the best tackiness in premium durable plastics. I have not touched Prodiscus Ultrium that they claim is a little grippier than their grippy Premium plastic. I think Prodigy is not that durable always and i have heard others say that some Prodigy discs can becone slicker over time. Not sure if their observation is just from the disc getting dirtier and skin oil in them.

Driver Pro is a more durable blend and Beasts and SOLFs last well as well as S PDs of the harder blend.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:10 pm

The stiff P used in some of my P-PDs is absolutely godawful when it comes to durability. That thing wears in like waxy DX. The gummier kind of... Lets say "springy" instead of soft, P-PDs (and P-CD, P-DD, P-MD2 (post-R-Pro MD2), P-DD2 and MOLF for that matter) can take a beating and lasts for years. Love that stuff.
Last edited by jubuttib on Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:21 pm

Innova/Millennium/Discmania Pro plastic is barely better than DX when it comes to gouges and hangnails all along the outer edge. Too bad because the glide is superior, compared to Champion and Star.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:27 pm

mgilbert wrote:
Jeronimo wrote:Absolutely. A lot of Innova's CFR plastic is unbelievably good. Pinnacle (I think?) from Legacy has a reputation of being awesome. MVP has some pretty sick plastic between the Electron and Neutron blends... The list goes on, it really is a matter of preference. Every plastic has its trade off too. Innova Pro and Discraft Elite X are some of the longest flying & best gripping available, but they both ding up pretty quickly. Higher grade plastics like Opto, Z, Champion, Electron all suffer a little in the glide and sometimes grip departments, but they last foreveeeeeeeer. Gold, Star, ESP, Neutron, Pinnacle(?) are all a mix of the aforementioned blends and find a very good balance (though I don't believe they deserve the premium price tag...).

Sounds like there is inconsistency in plastics just as there is inconsistency in every other aspect of disc manufacturing. I've had two 148g Saints. The first was so overstable that all I could get it to do was hyzer bomb. The second is so understable that it flips if I don't nail the throw. Thanks for the info.

Are you throwing those identical weight but wildly different Air Saints together under the same conditions? Because I haven't had or heard of Saints being either meathooks or uncontrollably flippy. It's a pretty straight disc overall. One or the other would be freakish, but to have 2 that are that far off is weird.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:34 pm

I was thinking of years old stiff p pds and typed incorrectly in the previous post. I have not come across stiff p pds after 2010.

Early blue Saints at least were flippy for others than me too. Have they screwed up pro recently because i have not had gouging and hangnails at all with a few year old Beasts pulling main driver duty.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:54 pm

JR wrote:I was thinking of years old stiff p pds and typed incorrectly in the previous post. I have not come across stiff p pds after 2010.

Early blue Saints at least were flippy for others than me too. Have they screwed up pro recently because i have not had gouging and hangnails at all with a few year old Beasts pulling main driver duty.

I had 2 early production sparkle blue Optos that flew just like Lat 64 claims the Saint should fly. I've tried friends Air Saints and although less reiable into a headwind, pretty much the same flight.

This was Innova Pro from 3-4 years ago...it's just too soft to hold up at all. I do play on mountain courses which are rocky and have lots of nice thick pine and cedar tree trunks to batter discs. But, to give you a comparison, I have an Opto Vision that's 3 years old and doesn't have a gouge on it, and it's probably the most heavily used of any disc in my bag because it's been in the bag the longest. I use it a lot for medium-long drives and fairway shots.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:06 pm

And I didn't mean to say the Innova Pro deterioration was after 3-4 years, but rather from 3-4 years ago as a time frame refrence. It would only take a couple months for them to get beat to hell all along the leading edge...Katana, Boss, Destroyer, Wraith, Leopard, you name it. I finally gave up on Pro altogether and switched to Champion, didn't like the feel and stiffness of Star.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:29 am

JR wrote:I was thinking of years old stiff p pds and typed incorrectly in the previous post. I have not come across stiff p pds after 2010.
Same here actually. I haven't bought P-PDs for years because all the ones I could find back then were stiff ones and I while I loved how they flew for the first 10 or so throws I was disgusted by how quickly they beat in... I have no idea what kind of plastic they've been made in in recent years.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby BentElbow11 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:35 am

IMO, two of the nicest plastics are DGA's Proline and Sparkle. Somehow superior to ESP and Elite Z counterparts. Proline is glossier and more durable than ESP, and Sparkle is much better than most Elite Z, more like a really good Opto.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby PMantle » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:37 am

BentElbow11 wrote:Innova/Millennium/Discmania Pro plastic is barely better than DX when it comes to gouges and hangnails all along the outer edge. Too bad because the glide is superior, compared to Champion and Star.

I love drivers in Pro. I use them on open holes where they will never hit a tree. They last a good while using them that way.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby jubuttib » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:41 am

BentElbow11 wrote:IMO, two of the nicest plastics are DGA's Proline and Sparkle. Somehow superior to ESP and Elite Z counterparts. Proline is glossier and more durable than ESP, and Sparkle is much better than most Elite Z, more like a really good Opto.
That reminds me, there was this one Proline Hurricane that we got as a tester disc, and while admittedly it flew like shit (I think we just got a crap one), the plastic was just unbelievable. It wasn't particularly grippy, but man was it the toughest thing ever. We wanted to try and get some understability into the disc to see if it made it fly any better, and must have blasted it into the tarmac at full tilt some 100+ times. Nothing. Nothing changed in the flight. It got some very minor scratching, but that's it.

That plastic stands out as the most durable blend I've ever witnessed out of any premium plastic. =)
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby BentElbow11 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:50 am

PMantle wrote:
BentElbow11 wrote:Innova/Millennium/Discmania Pro plastic is barely better than DX when it comes to gouges and hangnails all along the outer edge. Too bad because the glide is superior, compared to Champion and Star.

I love drivers in Pro. I use them on open holes where they will never hit a tree. They last a good while using them that way.

Better hope they never hit a rock or rough surface either :wink:
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Equipment